Need some dress help...

MermaidKT621

Earning My Ears
Me again, the long time lurker, now poster ;)

DF and I are having our at home wedding at a beach resort here in NC. We are going to add some Disney touches, and one of those happens to be my dress. Not to date myself but as a child born in the 80’s and being the perfect age for it, the little mermaid is my favorite Disney movie, and Ariel is my favorite princess. So I went with the David’s Bridal wg3791 mermaid wedding dresses (sorry can’t post pics yet since I’m so new)

Very beachy and mermaid-esque and I love it. It is plain (in a good way) and the website shows different belts on it in some pictures, some without. I’ve seen that dress with really intricate jewelry, with a veil, without... I’m stumped and not sure how I could or should style the dress. I’m going tomorrow to David’s Bridal because it came in and we are going to try it on with some accessories to figure out what to do. The hard part is that my family lives back home in MA, and with the pandemic, I wasn’t able to get anyone down here to go with me.

I am open to any and all suggestions of things I should try tomorrow when I go for my appointment. Please feel free to let me know what you think, especially if it makes it look more fairytale/little mermaid.

Thanks everyone!

Me again, the long time lurker, now poster ;)

DF and I are having our at home wedding at a beach resort here in NC. We are going to add some Disney touches, and one of those happens to be my dress. Not to date myself but as a child born in the 80’s and being the perfect age for it, the little mermaid is my favorite Disney movie, and Ariel is my favorite princess. So I went with the David’s Bridal wg3791 mermaid wedding dresses (sorry can’t post pics yet since I’m so new)

Very beachy and mermaid-esque and I love it. It is plain (in a good way) and the website shows different belts on it in some pictures, some without. I’ve seen that dress with really intricate jewelry, with a veil, without... I’m stumped and not sure how I could or should style the dress. I’m going tomorrow to David’s Bridal because it came in and we are going to try it on with some accessories to figure out what to do. The hard part is that my family lives back home in MA, and with the pandemic, I wasn’t able to get anyone down here to go with me.

I am open to any and all suggestions of things I should try tomorrow when I go for my appointment. Please feel free to let me know what you think, especially if it makes it look more fairytale/little mermaid.

Thanks everyone!
It is a beautiful dress. I prefer it without a belt. There is just something lovely about it without adding a belt. I do see many photos where different jeweled belts are added, but I think they detract from the dress rather than add. If you would like an accessory, a necklace would be better than a belt.

It is a beautiful dress. I prefer it without a belt. There is just something lovely about it without adding a belt. I do see many photos where different jeweled belts are added, but I think they detract from the dress rather than add. If you would like an accessory, a necklace would be better than a belt.

Thank you! Yeah, I don’t know how I feel about the jeweled belts. The only one I kind of liked was the floral belt, it seemed like it fit with the tulle and design better than the blingy stuff :)

I’m going to try it with a necklace and some chandelier earrings I think. That might be all it needs!

Yes! That’s the one! I got it in soft white. once I can post pics (I think I have a few more posts to go) I can post some pictures of me in it. I’m not sure what I want to emphasize but I do know that there is whole lot of chest skin... just because its strapless and the sweetheart neckline. I definitely want to add something there for sure. The dress does hug me in all the right places so I’m not worried that if I did add a belt or something it would draw attention to the wrong place. It’s more all the blank space between the top of the dress and my face! lol

Stay close to yourself and your personality. If you never wear jewellery, I wouldn't go for extravagant jewellery for your wedding.
If you are not the person for bling, go for the floral belt.

If you want: ask your consultant to think out of the box and if he/she has ideas. Maybe there is a coloured belt you hadn't thought of or some other accessory.

Stay close to yourself and your personality. If you never wear jewellery, I wouldn't go for extravagant jewellery for your wedding.
If you are not the person for bling, go for the floral belt.

If you want: ask your consultant to think out of the box and if he/she has ideas. Maybe there is a coloured belt you hadn't thought of or some other accessory.
Thank you. That's a good thought too, I do wear some jewelry but usually its cute stud earrings and the same pieces for bracelets and rings. Nothing too blingy and I don't change out my jewelry like some very fashionable ladies do :)

That's a good idea to ask the consultant for help too. Sometimes letting someone who has seen it all come up with the ideas is best! Maybe the consultant has seen some unique ideas that other brides have done that she can share with me. I tend to go off the beaten path with what I like, my DF was glad he asked what kind of engagement rings i liked. I did not want a diamond and i wanted the setting to be vintage and uniquely me. When I can post pictures I'll post a pic, it is absolutely gorgeous and is just what i was hoping for, it's a deep blue sapphire with a vintage halo around it, and the band has these lovely filigree accents with tiny diamonds in them. Strange to describe but i'll post a pic of it when i can. I almost wondered if i could add some vintage items to the accessories, like a bird cage veil or headpiece. This afternoon will be interesting or sure! :)

What about adding a necklace made of or shaped like a scallop shell?
Not sure about that. Even though we are getting married on the beach we don't have a ton of beachy decorations. We are actually going with a more tropical vibe. All of our décor and flowers are palm fronds with blush pink and white accent flowers to break up all the green. we didn't want to do the obvious "shells/sand/Adirondack chair" decorations and theme since we've seen it done a LOT at beach weddings and wanted to be different.

Not sure about that. Even though we are getting married on the beach we don't have a ton of beachy decorations. We are actually going with a more tropical vibe. All of our décor and flowers are palm fronds with blush pink and white accent flowers to break up all the green. we didn't want to do the obvious "shells/sand/Adirondack chair" decorations and theme since we've seen it done a LOT at beach weddings and wanted to be different.

I was thinking about the scallop shells because that is what Ariel wore on top. It would be a nod to your love of that character. Good luck with whatever you choose and congratulations!

I just stumbled upon a website that has Disney themed fine jewelry. Some is a bit pricey but others more reasonable. I don't know what your budget is but you might want to check it out, even if only to get some ideas. One of my favorites is this Elsa opal and sterling snowflake necklace. https://www.enchantedfinejewelry.co...-and-lab-created-opal-elsa-snowflake-pendant/ and also this Ariel pearl and sterling necklace https://www.enchantedfinejewelry.co...silver-1-10cttw-and-pearl-ariel-shell-pendant. Hope you find something you like.

Hey Ladies,

I have to say, the consultant I had at David's Bridal was so sweet and helpful! I explained that I wanted something unique, vintage, and even though it would be unique, still classy and bridal. She asked all about the wedding theme and colors and we came up with some amazing accessories.

I ended up with a fingertip veil with silver and rose gold details around the ends of it, rose gold necklace, earring, and bracelet set, a rose gold floral belt for the dress, and a rose gold floral and pearl hair vine. I will post photos as soon as I can but i love it. Just enough bling, the floral details look like tropical flowers, and the pearls are beachy to me because they come from oysters ;)

I feel like the rose gold will help break up all the green from the palm fronds. The David's Bridal consultant grabbed a bridesmaid dress in the blush pink color that my sister will wear and put it next to me with all the rose gold accessories on and it looked stunning! Tied everything together.

I came home with the dress and all the accessories. I'm planning on heading to a friends house to try it all on again and take better pictures (All the ones I have now, include a cheetah print mask HA!)

Thank you all for your help. I definitely feel like a princess in the dress <3

Hey Ladies,

I have to say, the consultant I had at David's Bridal was so sweet and helpful! I explained that I wanted something unique, vintage, and even though it would be unique, still classy and bridal. She asked all about the wedding theme and colors and we came up with some amazing accessories.

I ended up with a fingertip veil with silver and rose gold details around the ends of it, rose gold necklace, earring, and bracelet set, a rose gold floral belt for the dress, and a rose gold floral and pearl hair vine. I will post photos as soon as I can but i love it. Just enough bling, the floral details look like tropical flowers, and the pearls are beachy to me because they come from oysters ;)

I feel like the rose gold will help break up all the green from the palm fronds. The David's Bridal consultant grabbed a bridesmaid dress in the blush pink color that my sister will wear and put it next to me with all the rose gold accessories on and it looked stunning! Tied everything together.

I came home with the dress and all the accessories. I'm planning on heading to a friends house to try it all on again and take better pictures (All the ones I have now, include

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter