Never Been to Universal-Need Help!

Momto8

Proud Grandmother to 19 Grandchildren!
I have been going back and forth for the past couple of months on whether to go back to Disney or try Universal for the first time. We've finally decided to go to Disney in June and try Universal in Dec. We are going 12/26 for 4 or 5 nights (haven't decided how long). It is DH, 2 DDs, DN, and me. I have reserved a couple of rooms and need to decide between them. I have Holiday Inn & Suites on Kirkman Rd for $64.50/night (regular room...will have to pay $10 for a rollaway), Sleep Inn & Suites for $62/night (1-room suite) and Quality Inn & Suites for $75/night (2-room suite).

Has anyone stayed at one of these? How are the rooms? I am leaning towards Holiday Inn because of the location being right across the street from Universal, but am not sure because this is just a room instead of a suite. If anyone knows if the others are better, I would go with them instead. I don't want to go more than $75/night since we are planning a bigger trip in June.

Also we are getting annual passes for Universal (plan on going back in June). How many days would you plan for both parks? Is 3 or 4 days enough during the holidays or would we see everything in 2-3 days? Is 4 days too much for Universal/IOA? Any suggestions for a good guide book would be helpful.

Sorry for the length of this, but I have a lot of questions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are getting annual passes, find a AAA member and buy them at a AAA South office. They have a great deal for $99.95. They have to be bought at a AAA South office.

Yes, I read about that deal on this board earlier today. I happened to ask a co-worker if she belonged to AAA and she said she did. I told her about the deal and it just so happened that she is going to Universal in a couple of weeks. She was so excited to hear about this deal that she volunteered to get them for me as well as herself. She is going to the Norcross AAA office(near Atlanta) on Wednesday. This worked out great for both of us. I just hope we can get them because we don't belong to AAA.

These boards are great for getting information....I don't know how I could plan my trips without them!!

Thanks!

"Is 3 or 4 days enough during the holidays or would we see everything in 2-3 days? Is 4 days too much for Universal/IOA? Any suggestions for a good guide book would be helpful. "

My opinion, no 4 days isnt too much its great! Dont forget Seaworld if thats an option for you.

This book has it all:) A great read before- during visiting these parks.
Kelly's Book

I cant help with the hotels you have selected but maybe do a search.
Have fun planning:)

Thanks, JessicaR. I tried clicking on the link, but it wouldn't work. I will try to get this book this weekend at one of the bookstores at the mall.

We also thought about Sea World too. I would really like to go there, but have to convince my husband to spend another $200 for a one-day ticket for the 4 us isn't easy.

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards, Momto8!

Sorry, I haven't tried any of these hotels but if you're a "gambler" I'd try Priceline. The three stars in the Universal area are all great hotels and they can be had for 20-30 a night!

Also, I, too, jumped on the AAA deal here in Georgia! My sister is a member and went to the office on LaVista Rd. A great deal!

Thanks, Robinrs! I didn't try Priceline because I thought they only guaranteed a room for 2 and we have 5 in our party. I didn't want to get stuck with a room that wasn't big enough for us. Can you really get them for $20-30/night during Christmas week?

I've gotten $20 rooms off Priceline. I used to think the magic number was $25, but I've bid for $20 and gotten something.

It doesn't hurt to try during Christmas week. I think Orlando has over 100,000 rooms, so there will probably be an open room somewhere, no matter the time.

A friend of mine got the Radisson for $20 a night for Dec 30 and 31st! Quite a coup, I'd say!

I'm not sure how Priceline works or how you get additional dollars. But I'm worried about getting a room that wouldn't be big enough for 5. Could this happen and then I'm stuck with something that's too small?

BTW, my co-worker went to the AAA Norcross office this morning. They assured her before she went that they had plenty of AP's for Universal. Well she gets there and they only have 3 left!! Was she upset to say the least. She was going to go to the one in Marietta after work today if she could get there in time. We work in Alpharetta and she would have to go down 400 at 5:30, which you know how bad that could get in rush hour.

We did originally have the Radisson (Twin Towers) for $94, but cancelled that ressie. Decided not to go that high.

Anyways, could someone please explain how Priceline works and the risks involved? Would you try it if you had 5 in your room?

Hi Momto8,
We just got back from the whole Disney, IOA, Sea world, etc.....
We stayed at the Quality Inn International on International Dr. About 3-5 minutes from Universal and IOA (Island of Adventures). It was 29.95 a NIGHT. There are 2 queen size beds, microwave, coffemaker, blowdryer, cable TV, 3 heated outdoor pools. It's nothing real fancy but with kids how long do you stay in the room any way. It was clean, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I had called ahead to see if there was a microwave. When we got to our room there was not. We told them and they moved us right away at our convenience. I'd get a room on the second floor. We were on the first floor right by the pool and we could hear kids pitter pattering by our door when we decided to sleep late.
I really enjoyed the rides at IOA, more so than some of the Disney rides. There were no lines to speak of. I couldn't imagine waiting in line for an hour or more to see shows or for rides. It was a great time to go!!! Hope this helps. Have fun, Debbie =:>)

Hi again,
I forgot to mention...if you or a family member is an American Hero (firefighter, police, emt, military....) They get a free pass to use the rest of the year and all other family members get in free for that day and get 25% off admission. It's for ALL Anhiser Busch parks Nationwide!!! PLus they give you a bunch of coupons for free games, 20% off gift shop, and others.
If you have a question about who may be an eligiable as a hero just e-mail them. They return their e-mails pretty quick. Hope everything turns out great!!! Debbie =:>)

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for the info. Glad you had a good time at Universal. That's was a great rate for Quality Suites! How did you ever get a rate that low? What kind of discount did you get? I can't seem to get anything under $65/night, but we are going Christmas week, so I guess that I should expect to pay more. We don't have anyone in our family that qualifies for the fireman, police, military discount, but thanks anyways. We've always gone to Disney, so I'm having some doubts about Universal, but I'm glad to hear that you really like it. I saw a show about Universal on the Travel channel last week, and that is what convinced me that we should try it.

Thanks again!

I have stayed in this hotel, new in august 2000, so it was nice and clean. Try
www.hotelkingdom.com
we saved 20 dollars a night, and they have a very nice breakfast buffet included.
The jr. suite has 2 queens and a queen pullout couch, microwave, fridge.
the regular room has 2 queens only. no fridge or micro.
we are staying there again in feb. for 11 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter