Never tell me the odds - My Journey from Couch to Light Side 1/2 Marathon 2018!

alisigns

Can't wait to See Mickey!
Hello all you lovely DISers!!

I am a long-time Disney fan and Disboard contributor. And a long-time fan of not running..... :) But I have a friend who just ran the Light Side Half Marathon at Disneyland in January and has talked me into run/walking it with her next year. So I am looking for any and all info, Pinteresting like crazy, and trying to motivate myself to do this, even if the odds are 3720 to 1!

A little about me: I am 36, single, no kids, Disney/Marvel/Star Wars FANATIC! Let's face it, I'm a huge nerd. I'm that adult at Disney that gets more excited than the kids that I get to meet Mickey! It's bad, folks! I grew up in Texas, but have lived in Southeast Alaska for the last 5 years. That is one of the reasons I am trying to get motivated to start training now. It's cold and icy out and let's face it, trying to do a walk/run on the treadmill is annoying. I was a softball player in high school, but never really a runner and I am out of shape now. So I'm glad I have a lot of time to do this.

My training plan: Since I have 10 months, I'm going to start with Couch to 5K. Our local running group does several 5Ks each year so I want to do the Virtual Running Shorts program to work my way up. In August they do a 10K and 1/2 and I want to at least do the 10K. My goal for the Light Side 1/2 is to finish right around 3 hours (14 minute mile) which I think is totally do-able. I'm using the Jeff Galloway training plans and yes, I am still bitter that his app is not available for Android!!

Additional Motivation: I think I am going to do a Charity run. I am nervous, though, that they don't release the charities until 2 weeks after registration opens. Hopefully there is not a issue with a sold out race and getting in with a charity....? But I think that doing it for a charity will provide extra motivation for me to get off my butt! I am thinking St Jude and I want to make a T-shirt with Han Solo's "Never Tell Me the Odds" quote. So any tips on running for charity is good, also!

So, in conclusion... :) Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas, jokes, are always appreciated. And may the Force be with you always!

(And here's a picture from when we got to meet Chewie last year. I'm on the far left!)
upload_2017-3-7_12-2-32.jpg

Great goal! I think you're smart to get started early. :)

Make sure to get fitted for a pair of running shoes at a running store and maybe have a chat with your doctor before you get started...but Couch to 5K worked for me when I started running! I'm sure it'll work for you too! :yay:

Cheering you on!

I'll pray for better weather for you so you can get out there and start having fun. :)

Thanks everyone!

Question - how would you pick the best running shoes for you if you don't have access to a running shoe store? :) I'm not complaining a bit, because we willingly give up those things to live in such an amazingly beautiful place... but if there are tips, that would make it so much easier. Thanks!

Do you have access to a big box sports store? Like a Sports Authority type place? They often have running shoes that you can go in and try on a bunch to feel what feels good or not.
Google neutral vs overpronation vs underpronation to try to get a feel for what kind of shoe may be best for your specific feet. Runners World has lots of good shoe guides online.
And if you go the online route make sure to use a zappos or someplace with an awesome return policy!
I think newbalance may let you run in your shoes and return them as well. Edited to say maybe that's actually Brooks? Basically really really read returning policies before buying :)

I appreciated a shoe with more cushioning when I first started even though they may be a bit heavier than a faster racing shoe, I cared more about saving my knees that gaining any minutes in races, etc.

Last edited:
Following (and cheering!) along :)

My closest running store is 2+ hours away and I think it is worth a trip for me, especially for your first pair. Good luck and let us know what you pick!

WOW!!! I am a researcher by nature (you should see my normal Disney binders!), but even I feel like the last few days have been research-crazy!

So step one for me has been to find the right kind of shoe. I posted here and in the RunDisney forum, as well as reaching out to my local runners group for assistance. I found that most people with bunions are overpronators, which I am, and I have a medium arch and walk/run with a heel strike. Whew! I feel like it took me 3 hours to figure out what I am so I'd know what kind of shoe I need. I never knew that choosing the right shoe would be so involved. How cool!

So then I took that online to fit the profile. Runner's World recommended a new Chinese brand called 31. The shoe is the 31 Sensation. It has a 5 star rating on Amazon, but only 5 reviews so that makes me a bit nervous.... The other is the ASICS Gel Exalt 3 shoe. It has a 4.4 star rating with 153 reviews. Since ASICS is a brand I know I think I will probably go with that one.

Also, I reached out to St Jude and they are going to have a team for this race, so that is good and I'm getting that started. Any time I do something that someone else benefits from it provides me needed motivation. Plus, St Jude is my Amazon Smiles partner so if I buy my shoes from Amazon, St Jude also benefits! Double-bonus!

Well, that's it for now. Day 1 of my C25K was successful and tonight will be Day 2!

Good for you! Doing research always makes me more excited!

I wear asics (gt 2000) and really like them! I also have bunions (many runners do according to my running store haha). I have to get my shoes in wide width (I'm boaderline on width in many shoes) and a 1/2 bigger. So if they don't feel right, don't be afraid to size up!

Following along! I started out with a C25K program 3 years ago with the intention of running a Disney Half-Marathon "someday." I finished a 5k, but half-marathon training kept getting pushed back (moved, had a baby, etc. etc.) But I'm currently training for the Dark Side in April. You can totally do this :)

So then I took that online to fit the profile. Runner's World recommended a new Chinese brand called 31. The shoe is the 31 Sensation. It has a 5 star rating on Amazon, but only 5 reviews so that makes me a bit nervous.... The other is the ASICS Gel Exalt 3 shoe. It has a 4.4 star rating with 153 reviews. Since ASICS is a brand I know I think I will probably go with that one.

If you have a running store nearby, or even a Dick's Sporting Goods - I'd go and try the shoes on. I tried to buy the same brand/style of running shoes just a year newer online and they fit so differently than my old ones. My local running store let me try on like 20 different pairs and has a really generous return policy because they understand that what feels good in the store might not feel good on the road. I honestly think getting the right running shoes that were sized correctly helped me stick to running.

Following along! I started out with a C25K program 3 years ago with the intention of running a Disney Half-Marathon "someday." I finished a 5k, but half-marathon training kept getting pushed back (moved, had a baby, etc. etc.) But I'm currently training for the Dark Side in April. You can totally do this :)

Thanks for following and for the encouragement! That's what I love most about these boards. I can't wait to see how the Dark Side half goes for you!!

Following along on this! We are pretty much in the same boat except I'll be training for the princess half marathon! Cheering you on!:yay::cheer2:

Hi friends!

I wanted to say hello. I'm hoping to do my first RunDisney event during Princess weekend next February. I've been walking and putting in pops of running for a while now, I was reluctant to visit a running store and do that whole dance thing (gait analysis, talking about my goals-thingie). I was really super-nervous, because I'm certainly not a runner. My sister gave me the name of a few near her home and encouraged me. Well, I did it. I finally did it! The lady was super-nice and no pressure.

I walked out with a few pair of special socks and new shoes. The shoes I had been walking in were manufactured in 2005 (I'm not joking here). And, I've used my new magic shoes three times so far. And, while my pace is the same, the irritation in my calves is now nill and I can walk/run MUCH longer than before. Why didn't I get proper shoes before?

Just to share, what worked best for me...I have Fred Flinstone-type feet with overpronuciation and heel strike...Saucony Guide 10 Everun. The other brand that I really liked was Brooks, but the Saucony spoke to me and I think we are a good match.

I too am following Galloway and really hoping to get a bib for the 10k next February. Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck with training. I look forward to hearing about your training progress in Alaska.

Have a happy day everyone! :)

Hi @Shea&Van! Thanks for letting me know about your process. I am excited to visit an actual running store hopefully not too far in the future and get set up.

What kind of special socks did you get? I'm super interested in those!

Hey Aleisha!

Happy Tuesday. The running store lady had a few options for me. I choose to try the Balega socks (Hidden Comfort). They seemed to be the best "cushion-y" ones in the place. They were expensive IMO...I think $12 per pair, but I found the same price on Amazon, so maybe that's a standard rate for these socks. The running store lady used words like "moisture wicking technology" when describing them and "non-cotton," which apparently are two vital things to look for in running socks. These Balega socks look and feel like regular socks, but they have those important characteristics so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Not to interrupt your training blog here, but I do have a question for anyone who may be following along...my next purchase is going to be a sports bra...if anyone has a good recommendation, would love to know. I tried on a few at the running store, but they were crazy-expensive $50+ so I wanted to do a little research before I took the leap. One of the brands/versions the lady mentioned was something Juno? Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, is it worth the $50+ price tag. The one I tried on was like playing Twister trying to get myself all holstered in it. But, if it works, I'm willing to spend the money. Although, I'd much prefer a simpler version...ahem...so that I can attempt my run/walks at lunchtime when I have an hour to myself and a wonderful scenic view of the DC landmarks to keep my mind occupied.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated! Happy training to all of you. :)

but the Saucony spoke to me and I think we are a good match

I love Saucony! I'm currently wearing the Saucony Omni's.

I choose to try the Balega socks

My husband got me hooked on the Balega Hidden Comfort socks and now that's all I wear. No blisters ever!

I'm no help in the sports bra area. I'm not very large chested so I usually just by whatever C9 ones are on sale at Target.

Good luck with your training!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!