New here

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello as I'm new to the boards.

I discovered these boards about a year ago but couldn't work up the courage to post. Recently I moved out to the city (grew up in a very small town) & my goal is to try new things outside of my comfort zone aha.

I'm glad to find a community of people that love Disney as much as I do. Given my disability, I feel that Disney is my escape, mentally but also much easier for me to get around & do things physically too.

I don't have many friends that are also Disney fans so I am hoping I can make some friends on the boards. I see that there is a post about Dis meetups at Disney? I think that would be fun but it looks like most of the posts are old? Hopefully that's still a thing, I'd love to meetup with some like-minded Disney fans!

I hope it is ok to post here? I thought about posting in the adult & solo traveller board but I get a bit nervous making able-bodied friends online because I feel like I'm hiding a secret that I am disabled... I recognize that sounds silly but I'm still working on my self esteem. I feel a lot more comfortable in the disabled community because there is a lot less pressure to conform, so I can be myself.

Anyways, thank you for reading!

Hi! You should just jump on in over there on the main DISabilities board - the water's fine, and you never know when you might have a tip, trick or personal experience that might help another fellow traveler! :)

Everyone around here is pretty friendly - and so just be yourself, and as you get to know everyone, I bet you will find that you begin to form friendships here! :) I know that typically in June (?) I think that Pete and the DISBoards crew have a meet up around the time of the anniversary of The DIS. But even if you can't make an "official" DISBoards meet up, you can always post here, (or wherever you feel most comfortable) that you are going to be at WDW for these dates, and would love to meet some other DIS'ers if anyone will be there too.

And one last thing - don't let your disability define you. "Normal" is setting on the washing machine, nothing more. I have told this story before here in this community: My Mom was a Special Ed teacher, one of the first certified in our state. She told me one time that everyone has something that they can't do. EVERYONE. Some people suck at math. Some people have horrible vision and have to wear glasses. And some people - like me - have legs that don't work the way they are supposed to. So, we all use TOOLS to overcome what we can; those who can't do math carry a calculator (in their phone nowadays!) Those who can't see get prescription glasses. Those who can't hear, get hearing aids. Those who can't walk, get a mobility device. Those are all just tools to accomplish what we don't do as well as we want to. That's all. My personal mobility device doesn't define me - it's just a tool so I can do what I want and need to do.

Be yourself - your amazing, interesting, wonderful self, and I bet you won't have problems making friends anywhere!

Welcome!

Hi! You should just jump on in over there on the main DISabilities board - the water's fine, and you never know when you might have a tip, trick or personal experience that might help another fellow traveler! :)

Everyone around here is pretty friendly - and so just be yourself, and as you get to know everyone, I bet you will find that you begin to form friendships here! :) I know that typically in June (?) I think that Pete and the DISBoards crew have a meet up around the time of the anniversary of The DIS. But even if you can't make an "official" DISBoards meet up, you can always post here, (or wherever you feel most comfortable) that you are going to be at WDW for these dates, and would love to meet some other DIS'ers if anyone will be there too.

And one last thing - don't let your disability define you. "Normal" is setting on the washing machine, nothing more. I have told this story before here in this community: My Mom was a Special Ed teacher, one of the first certified in our state. She told me one time that everyone has something that they can't do. EVERYONE. Some people suck at math. Some people have horrible vision and have to wear glasses. And some people - like me - have legs that don't work the way they are supposed to. So, we all use TOOLS to overcome what we can; those who can't do math carry a calculator (in their phone nowadays!) Those who can't see get prescription glasses. Those who can't hear, get hearing aids. Those who can't walk, get a mobility device. Those are all just tools to accomplish what we don't do as well as we want to. That's all. My personal mobility device doesn't define me - it's just a tool so I can do what I want and need to do.

Be yourself - your amazing, interesting, wonderful self, and I bet you won't have problems making friends anywhere!

Welcome!

Thank you that's a very kind message :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!