New laptop -- what about a FREE office suite

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
Wifey travels a fair amount and for some reason has decided that her old personal laptop, running Windows XP is due for a replacement.

Have a new Windows 10 set-up arriving in the morning. Since this new laptop will mostly be used to check e-mails and do some light web browsing, not really wanting to put up the cash for a productivity suite.

Anyone used Libre --https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/

I think that it will serve her purpose on the rare occasion she needs some documents, data, etc. and it seems to play well with MicroSoft Office....

I've never used that one, but I've been using Open Office for years and I really like it.

There was a group of folks involved with Open Office, who, for some reason, which I cannot remember, got a bit ticked and split off.

That splinter group developed Libre.

I know this isn’t quite the answer to your question, but have you checked with your work? I was able to get Microsoft Office for $9.99 plus tax through the Microsoft work discount program. I had to use a code and link through my work, which our IT group had. May be worth checking out.

Libreoffice seems works fine. Several of my students use it. Another option is to use the Google versions. We use Google drive, docs etc at my work to share files and collaborate with coworkers. The interface looks a bit different that Microsoft, but I have been able to figure out how to do everything I need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!