New Policy Regarding Magical Express and ECVs/Electric Wheelchairs

clkelley

<font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo
I am sitting on a Magical Express Bus on my way to Ft. Wilderness.

There is a new policy regarding ECVs and Electric Wheelchairs.

You either have to wait on a bus with a lift or someone in your party has to load the ECV/Electric Wheelchair underneath the bus.

The drivers are not allowed to load the ECVs/Electric Wheelchairs themselves.

I'm assuming because of the weight. Most bags/suitcases are limited to 50 lbs by the airlines. Most ECVs weigh well over 50 lbs.

I took the batteries and the seat off of mine and lifted it myself. The frame itself weighs very little.

Something to consider when using Magical Express with an ECV/Electric Wheelchair.

Carol

clkelley said:
I'm assuming because of the weight. Most bags/suitcases are limited to 50 lbs by the airlines. Most ECVs weigh well over 50 lbs.
Thanks for the update. Did they say how mcuh longer of a wait would be likely if you had not put it in yourself?

You are probably right that it's because of the weight.
It might also be a liability situation - the drivers don't necessarily know how to lift different parts without possibility of damage.

Many power wheelchairs don't come apart anyway and are way too heavy to lift (my DD's is over 270 pounds without the batteries), so this affects ECV users more than power wheelchair users.

Carol, if you are taking ME back to the airport will you do me a HUGE favor and ask your driver if loading WITH the ramps is going smoother these days? TIA.

Have a great vacation! :cool1:

When we used ME in June it wasn't a problem for us as we had advised of needing a lift bus to get us from the airport to BCV and they had our flight schedule. They had the bus waiting for us when we arrived at the Welcome Center and we boarded right away. ---Kathy

dclfun said:
When we used ME in June it wasn't a problem for us as we had advised of needing a lift bus to get us from the airport to BCV and they had our flight schedule. They had the bus waiting for us when we arrived at the Welcome Center and we boarded right away. ---Kathy

Did your driver have any problems with the lift? We had quite a drawn out trip on ME in May because the driver had so much trouble with it. We had advised ME of the need for a lift as well and on;y waited a few minutes for the bus. But from touchdown to getting to our resort was 2.5 hours. I was hoping it had gotten better. Actually I had been feeling pretty confident that the situation would have improved but as our next trip with our DD approaches, I'm getting nervous.

Our driver didn't have any trouble with the lift- hopefully they've all been trained by now! ---kathy

dclfun said:
Our driver didn't have any trouble with the lift- hopefully they've all been trained by now! ---kathy

From your post to God's ear! :sunny:

I had to call ME today because we changed carriers for our trip. I asked the CM if she knew if things were going more smoothly with the lifts. Like you, she reported smooth sailing now. Thanks for your response. I'm feeling more confident again.

SueM in MN said:
Thanks for the update. Did they say how mcuh longer of a wait would be likely if you had not put it in yourself?.

I didn't ask. It was late and I still had a lot of work to do before I could go to bed. (I had to set up my tent and my cot).

Carol

Thanks. I just thought they might have said - like "if you choose to wait, it will be x minutes."

BCV23 said:
Carol, if you are taking ME back to the airport will you do me a HUGE favor and ask your driver if loading WITH the ramps is going smoother these days? TIA.

Have a great vacation! :cool1:

My friend arrived by Magical Express today, and she also has an ECV. She got a lift bus, and I was there when she arrived. The lift operated very easily. She only waited a couple of minutes on her bus with the lift. This was in the middle of the day though, not at midnite.

FYI, We're having a WONDERFUL time :-)

Carol

clkelley said:
My friend arrived by Magical Express today, and she also has an ECV. She got a lift bus, and I was there when she arrived. The lift operated very easily. She only waited a couple of minutes on her bus with the lift. This was in the middle of the day though, not at midnite.

FYI, We're having a WONDERFUL time :-)

Carol

Thanks so much for that update, Carol!

Have a fantastic vacation! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter