New RIV Listing

have you stayed at RIV yet? The skyliners are very comparable to the monorail. It’s 10 mins to both Epcot and DHS.

Location wise, I’d say that BCV is like BLT and RIV is like Poly.

CCV/BRV aren’t good analogies location wise. They have access to only one park whereas poly/RIV have great access to two parks.

I think there's a lot of willful ignoring of actual geographic distance on the part of people who want to focus on time-of-travel instead. It's a huge benefit to me to look over and see MK or Epcot right out my back door, to feel the proximity. If Riv had a rocket ship which delivered me to MK in 0.4sec, I'd still prefer looking across the lagoon from Poly.

I agree it's just silly and I'd hit the ignore button because a reasonable discussion can't be had. Not only can you not walk to a park from Riv, you CAN'T WALK ANYWHERE except Caribbean Beach. The monorail trip from VGF is not the same as the skyliner trip to any Park but people say it is.

As I said in another thread Riv owners think if they had a hyperspeed tunnel from Tampa Bay that got to DHS in 20 minutes that means the location is good...they aren't the same thing and anyone who is of a reasonable mind, riviera owner or not, agrees.

I didn't hear a lot of "great location" talk about Caribbean beach prior to Riviera being build...

CBR didn’t have the Skyliner prior to RIV being built. The location of CBR changed dramatically. People do now talk about POP, AoA, and CBR having great locations with the Skyliner. Whether or not you agree is a personal opinion, but it is said by many.

They would be required to do it both ways then correct? I can't imagine the rules allow them to cut out all resale from trading in to RIV but allow resale to trade out for some type of fee.

Same with removing the resale restrictions in general. If they did it would have to go both ways you would think.

I don’t think they would be required to do it both ways because somehow they were allowed to change the rules for resale only with regards to the new resorts. I don’t want this thread to devolve into yet another, “Are the resale restrictions even legal?” thread. On its face, I don’t see any reason why they can’t charge a fee for RIV resale to trade when those resale owners bought in knowing about the restrictions. Again, I don’t want to go down the path of whether or not the restrictions are allowed. There are many threads in that topic.

Last edited:
They would be required to do it both ways then correct? I can't imagine the rules allow them to cut out all resale from trading in to RIV but allow resale to trade out for some type of fee.

Same with removing the resale restrictions in general. If they did it would have to go both ways you would think.

Believe it or not, they wrote the language with RIV that allows them to have different rules for different members,

So, they can remove one without the other or charge one without the other. Would they? Don’t know.

But I can see them starting with the RIV resale before the rest, only because IMO, the only way they are going to do any of it is if the number of resale owners at RIV become higher than normal and they feel it is having a large impact on booking. Which, I don’t see happening for at least 3 to 5 years...and even then, not sure.

I agree it's just silly and I'd hit the ignore button because a reasonable discussion can't be had. Not only can you not walk to a park from Riv, you CAN'T WALK ANYWHERE except Caribbean Beach. The monorail trip from VGF is not the same as the skyliner trip to any Park but people say it is.

As I said in another thread Riv owners think if they had a hyperspeed tunnel from Tampa Bay that got to DHS in 20 minutes that means the location is good...they aren't the same thing and anyone who is of a reasonable mind, riviera owner or not, agrees.

I didn't hear a lot of "great location" talk about Caribbean beach prior to Riviera being build...

Yes, you can walk from BCV and BWV to parks,,,you can not from RIV...that is a fact. Does that make it a better location? Only if walking to the park is something you can or want to do. Being better is a matter of opinion.

Do the monorail resorts have a view of a park.. MK? Yes they do and RIV doesn’t really...other than some far off views...that is a fact,
Does that make them better? Depends on what you want, Being better is a matter of opinion.

Now, I love RIV, but I won’t argue that many people are going to see both of those opinions are strong pros to choose the monorail resorts and BCV/BWV over RIV. Add to it the point charts saving you some can make them a good choice,

RiV has a lot of pluses which are all based on peoples opinion and I venture to guess that the contracts that sell on resale market...like this one...will be snatched up quick by people who view its pluses outweighing it’s differences..

Believe it or not, they wrote the language with RIV that allows them to have different rules for different members,

I know they can write in whatever they want. My thing though is that for existing members at the original resorts they can't say you can't trade in via resale to our resort but our resale can trade in to your resort.

Banning both sides resale contracts from trading in/out is fine as its fair. They can't open up a one way door though I wouldnt think. That seems like it would break some regulation or something.

have you stayed at RIV yet? The skyliners are very comparable to the monorail. It’s 10 mins to both Epcot and DHS.

Location wise, I’d say that BCV is like BLT and RIV is like Poly.

CCV/BRV aren’t good analogies location wise. They have access to only one park whereas poly/RIV have great access to two parks.

Except Poly has a lake side view of Magic Kingdom, RIV has a view of CBR.

Now like most threads I expect people to call be stuck up because I put looking at and being attached to CBR as a negative instead of a positive.

I think there's a lot of willful ignoring of actual geographic distance on the part of people who want to focus on time-of-travel instead. It's a huge benefit to me to look over and see MK or Epcot right out my back door, to feel the proximity. If Riv had a rocket ship which delivered me to MK in 0.4sec, I'd still prefer looking across the lagoon from Poly.

I have went over this before and agree there are great things about RIV that people will love. I will not entertain that RIV is even in the same realm as park side resorts in terms of location.

Do the monorail resorts have a view of a park.. MK? Yes they do and RIV doesn’t really...other than some far off views...that is a fact,
Does that make them better? Depends on what you want, Being better is a matter of opinion.

Being parkside vs further out is 100% part of the equation for location value. Being able to walk vs ride transportation is also part of it. Having multiple non-bus options to get to the parks is also part of it.

BWV/BCV is superior to RIV in the location category. You can argue any other category and I likely would agree with many of them that RIV is better. Location though they are not in the same tier.

Just keep this in mind from the far end of Riviera to the Skyliner is .2 miles. From the far end of BWV to Epcot SKyliner is .5 miles (far side to boat is .2 miles). This is not exact but a rough estimate based on GIS. Then if you do far side of BWV to HS its around .75 miles to the Skyliner.

To put the walking in context from front to back of HS is .5 miles and half way around the world showcase is .5 miles.

So yes slightly longer walking if you don't want to wait on a boat but a small fraction of what you walk in a day. If you don't value location as much you get the benefit of the Skyliner which is a dramatic benefit of Riviera and rescues it from SSR/OKW status (which should be two resorts also connected in to Skyliner honestly, although I know its pretty unlikely as there is no benefit to Disney really).

Yes, you can walk from BCV and BWV to parks,,,you can not from RIV...that is a fact. Does that make it a better location? Only if walking to the park is something you can or want to do. Being better is a matter of opinion.

It's not a matter of opinion that I may get stuck on a wire for an hour or longer in Florida heat with the Skyliner. And that makes BCV/BWV a better location. I just don't see how anyone could logically argue otherwise. Having an emergency defecation bag doesn't even the score.

Is there really any point in arguing why people do or do not like any resort? What one person sees as a negative (ex. “Lack of strong theme”), another person may see as a positive. A quick list of just a few other polarizing items (There are more, but I stopped at 5):

1) location
2) Skyliner versus monorail versus boat versus walking
3) resale restrictions
4) point cost
5) MF’s

Saying you take the Skyliner to get to EP and HS is a fact, for example. Saying that’s good or bad is completely subjective and unhelpful because it varies depending on personal opinions. I think all of these threads somehow devolve (apparently that’s my word of the day) into people who do and don’t like RIV. Those who do like it will stay there and possibly buy there. Those who don’t, won’t stay there and shouldn’t buy there. Why are people still arguing about whether this is a “good” or “bad” resort? Who cares what others think when it’s your money and/or points?!? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it or stay there. If you do like it, stay there and/or buy it. I guess I don’t see why we’re still talking about the same exact pros and cons months later...

Is there really any point in arguing why people do or do not like any resort? What one person sees as a negative (ex. “Lack of strong theme”), another person may see as a positive. A quick list of just a few other polarizing items (There are more, but I stopped at 5):

1) location
2) Skyliner versus monorail versus boat versus walking
3) resale restrictions
4) point cost
5) MF’s

Saying you take the Skyliner to get to EP and HS is a fact, for example. Saying that’s good or bad is completely subjective and unhelpful because it varies depending on personal opinions. I think all of these threads somehow devolve (apparently that’s my word of the day) into people who do and don’t like RIV. Those who do like it will stay there and possibly buy there. Those who don’t, won’t stay there and shouldn’t buy there. Why are people still arguing about whether this is a “good” or “bad” resort? Who cares what others think when it’s your money and/or points?!? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it or stay there. If you do like it, stay there and/or buy it. I guess I don’t see why we’re still talking about the same exact pros and cons months later...

I suspect it is d/t the transient nature of disBoards visitors. Most probably don't go to the effort to read prior postings that are more than a few days old. Perhaps there needs to be a "pinned" thread at the top "Why we love the RIV" and another "Why we hate the RIV".

I suspect it is d/t the transient nature of disBoards visitors. Most probably don't go to the effort to read prior postings that are more than a few days old. Perhaps there needs to be a "pinned" thread at the top "Why we love the RIV" and another "Why we hate the RIV".

Good idea!!!

It's not a matter of opinion that I may get stuck on a wire for an hour or longer in Florida heat with the Skyliner. And that makes BCV/BWV a better location. I just don't see how anyone could logically argue otherwise. Having an emergency defecation bag doesn't even the score.

I got stuck on the monorail in January for over 20 minutes and had to go backward to the GF? Does that negate its close to MK?

To me, the word better is a subjective word and BWV and BCV are only better if you find them better. For years, they were better for me and DH. Now, they are not and I am selling my 2nd BWV contract because RIV is a better place, all the way around, for my family.

That doesnt make it better for others, thst is for sure, and as I said, many will see those areas as better if walking is a big plus.

I know they can write in whatever they want. My thing though is that for existing members at the original resorts they can't say you can't trade in via resale to our resort but our resale can trade in to your resort.

Banning both sides resale contracts from trading in/out is fine as its fair. They can't open up a one way door though I wouldnt think. That seems like it would break some regulation or something.

Except Poly has a lake side view of Magic Kingdom, RIV has a view of CBR.

Now like most threads I expect people to call be stuck up because I put looking at and being attached to CBR as a negative instead of a positive.

I have went over this before and agree there are great things about RIV that people will love. I will not entertain that RIV is even in the same realm as park side resorts in terms of location.

Being parkside vs further out is 100% part of the equation for location value. Being able to walk vs ride transportation is also part of it. Having multiple non-bus options to get to the parks is also part of it.

BWV/BCV is superior to RIV in the location category. You can argue any other category and I likely would agree with many of them that RIV is better. Location though they are not in the same tier.

Just keep this in mind from the far end of Riviera to the Skyliner is .2 miles. From the far end of BWV to Epcot SKyliner is .5 miles (far side to boat is .2 miles). This is not exact but a rough estimate based on GIS. Then if you do far side of BWV to HS its around .75 miles to the Skyliner.

To put the walking in context from front to back of HS is .5 miles and half way around the world showcase is .5 miles.

So yes slightly longer walking if you don't want to wait on a boat but a small fraction of what you walk in a day. If you don't value location as much you get the benefit of the Skyliner which is a dramatic benefit of Riviera and rescues it from SSR/OKW status (which should be two resorts also connected in to Skyliner honestly, although I know its pretty unlikely as there is no benefit to Disney really).

My point is that they can do just that, They gave themselves the right to give RIV resale buyers different rules than resale buyers at L14...all there in black and white in the contracts. Specifically says they can give some members rights others don’t have.

Last edited:
The monorail trip from VGF is not the same as the skyliner trip to any Park but people say it is.

I agree, it's not the same, but from a very different perspective. I think the Skyliner trip to/from RIV is better than the monorail for us. We are at double stroller age and bringing the double stroller on the monorail is often a huge pain, especially when the monorail is crowded. We need to rush around trying to find a car that can or has people who are willing to squeeze us in, and it's not a luxurious or relaxing experience at all. Double stroller on the Skyliner has been AMAZING. We have an inline that doesn't need to be folded, and since it takes up so much room, we always get a private gondola. We've ridden the Skyliner many times by now and it's always been such a great experience for us, especially compared to the monorail. TBH at this age even the bus is better because at least we know we'll get on the bus and if the bus is crowded, usually people offer a seat when they see me holding a 1 year old. At least with a bus there's no running around trying to find a bus that is willing to take us. Even when there was a long line for the Skyliner, it moved fairly quickly since it's continuously loading and it didn't really take longer than having to wait for the next monorail or the next bus. Usually we haven't had much of a wait at all. Even when we're out of double stroller age, I think we will continue to love the Skyliner access to our two favorite parks.

Don't get me wrong, I love VGF enough to own there, but I certainly don't consider the monorail a better transportation option for us right now than the Skyliner. When we stay at VGF we do our best to avoid busy monorail times because it's really not fun with the stroller.

As for BCV/BWV, personally I do prefer walking to the parks and we love the Boardwalk area, so that's why we also own BWV despite the shorter contract. Our kids will be able to grow up staying at BWV. But we're in our 30s and we wanted a resort with easier access to EP/HS after BWV expires, and we love a lot of features of RIV, so we bought it too. We've visited numerous times for meals and the member tour (where we got to see all the rooms), and we are very happy with our decision. We have an upcoming stay at RIV in April and can't wait.

Getting stuck is a fact, absolutely. What I am saying is when people say, better it’s still subjective. Yes, BWV and BCV are better if you don’t want to take the Skyliner, But BWV is not a better location for getting to the QS place without going out in the rain. RIV is. See, it’s a matter of what you want to compare.

And I am not suggesting RiV is better, I am suggesting that it is as good as the other two for trips to Epcot and HS of those are your goals,

Last edited:
My apologies. I was speaking in hyperbole in case you felt slighted. Your post about not wanting to buy BWV because of it's state of disarray and then turning around and buying the newest resort because Disney may actually be turning a page and adopting a new attitude about being better about upkeep of its properties starting with the one you just bought, may trump the previous post in terms of the disconnect I was speaking to. I didn't mean to suggest the assertions you made were less conflicting. I'll try to be better about tracking/documenting such things so as to not sound so absolute.

Ok, you win :)

My point is that they can do just that, They gave themselves the right to give RIV resale buyers different rules than resale buyers at L14...all there in black and white in the contracts. Specifically says they can give some members rights others don’t have.

View attachment 475468

Is point 4 saying that Disney can place any type of restrictions they want on resale owners of RIV? As an extreme example, resale owners at RIV could only make bookings at 6 months at their home resort? If this were the case I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to buy resale at RIV once Disney implements some new rule that totally messes with resale owners ability to make reservations.

View attachment 475468

Is point 4 saying that Disney can place any type of restrictions they want on resale owners of RIV? As an extreme example, resale owners at RIV could only make bookings at 6 months at their home resort? If this were the case I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to buy resale at RIV once Disney implements some new rule that totally messes with resale owners ability to make reservations.

Unless there is something very specific in the POS for DRR, they cannot make separate / different rules for booking DRR based on how the DRR points were acquired. The section on BVTC quoted above does NOT apply to booking DRR with DRR points (only to trading DRR points for other DVC resorts).

AFAIK, there is nothing in any POS or MSPOS that allows DVC to treat owners differently when booking their home resort.

I don’t think they can adjust the booking, but I think that this document allows them to treat resale buyers differently. Someone mentioned that they couldn’t lift restrictions on RIV but not the other way or allow one to pay and not the others.

I think the document would allow for that, And, it states at the top...which I just noticed that these rules, have been approved by the Florida Bureua of Timeshaess and are now part of the BVTC documents.

I’ll go back and read again, but I believe @CarolMN is correct and that there is no language regarding booking windows being different...only Resort Restrictions and Limitations listed in 1 and 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter