New shoes causing bruises...help!

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone. I haven't posted here because I haven't done a Run Disney event since they cancelled the west coast races.

Anyway, I am having an issue that is perplexing to me and thought this group would have some helpful input.

I have been a runner for a LONG time. I typically run 3-5 miles per run, about 3x per week on average.

I had been wearing Brooks Ravenna since about 2012. Recent design changes have left my feet in a lot of pain and I've developed a nagging pain/chronic tightness behind my knee/upper calf.

I decided to try a new running shoe model and ordered a bunch from zappos to try. I settled on the Brooks Glycerin. They were the most comfortable and supportive. I have run about 25 miles in them so far and I LOVE them. I don't get random knee or hip pains anymore and my feet feel so well supported!

One tiny issue, though. When I take them off, I have tiny bruises on the tops of my feet right below my 2 smallest toes. They are the size of a pea, maybe. They hurt when I press on them, but otherwise there is no pain. Sometimes there are bruises on both feet, sometimes only one. I thought maybe they were laced too tight so I loosened them up. I wore them to Disneyland yesterday and clocked 6 miles. I have another bruise on just my left foot now. A new one. What the heck? The shoes are NOT uncomfortable at all when I wear them. In fact they feel great! My calf pain has all but gone away. I am having no pain issues at all, but these bruises are clearly an indication that something isn't right. The bruises disappear after like 2 days.

Anyone know what might be happening here and what I can do to fix it?

Only suggestion I have is to go to a running store and get fitted. Doing that was a game changer for me. Could be it’s a half size too small or something like that.

Only suggestion I have is to go to a running store and get fitted. Doing that was a game changer for me. Could be it’s a half size too small or something like that.

My one and only experience at a running store was horrible. They insisted my shoe size was 6.5. Um...no. my feet are like 9.5" long. I wear size 9. Always have. They also said I have a severe pronation issue. My podiatrist strongly disagreed with that assessment as well. This was a VERY well regarded running store too. I don't trust those places anymore after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter