New to AFO's

rangermom

DIS Veteran
My DS (4) just got his AFO's two days ago. Currently his left heel does not fit perfectly on the bottome of the brace. The peron that fit him for the braces said that as he get more PT the tendon will allow the heel to fit into teh brace better. DS has to wear them all the time, day and night. He does complain some about them hurting, but I have found that if I reposition them that usually helps. I also think that he just does not lke to wear them, as I have notced if I get his mind on something else he will stop complaining about them bothering him and usually won't complain again for hours. He is getting around pretty good with them and can not walk without the braces on. (He just completed 7 weeks of serial casting).

I'm just wondering if his complaints are normal for newbies, or if the braces need to be refit? The orthotics office told me to give it 2 weeks. I am just a little worried, as he seems to have less mobility now after the casting and getting his AFO's. We also travel a lot and I am wondering if we should look into a special stroller. His left side is affected, but it is really only his legs we have issues with. Is there a difference between what a special needs stroller and a regular can offer if the child will be wearing AFO's for a while?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions in my previous threads. This can be overwhelming sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter