New to Gluten Free...help!

Loveallthingsmouse

Mouseketeer
DD was put onto a GF diet, still awaiting final test results, but feel GF will be a lifelong path. I had made all ADR prior to this life change. I know most restaurants have allergy menus, can you only order from that menu? Can you ask what else can be made? I have the allergy added to our reservations, just for household ease the entire family has gone GF in a show of solidarity. So was wondering how many different options can be found/made. We have the DxDDP. Thank you for any information!!

Last edited:
DD was put onto a GF diet, still awaiting final test results, but feel GF will be a lifelong path. I had made all ADR prior to this life change. I know most restaurants have allergy menus, can you only order from that menu? Can you ask what else can be made? I have the allergy added to our reservations, just for household ease the entire family has gone GF in a show of solidarity. So was wondering how many different options can be found/made. We have the DxDDP. Thank you for any information!!
DH was diagnosed with celiac disease 10 years ago, and we've eaten dozens of meals at WDW since then with absolutely no negative reactions. In the last year or two, most restaurants have added an allergy menu, but you always have the option of speaking with a chef at table service or manager at quick service venues. Often the chef will offer to modify a dish even if it's not on the allergy menu (for example, leaving off a sauce that contains gluten or substituting a potato dish for a pasta side). Generally about half to 3/4 of the regular menu items are either already gluten-free or can be modified. Dessert choices are often limited, but if you ask they may be able to cobble together something from ingredients they have on hand (for example, DH loves berries, and many table-service places will put a scoop of them over a dish of ice cream; they've also offered to use a gluten-free brownie as a base for a brownie sundae). At snack carts and walk-up windows they usually have a binder with ingredient lists so you can look for and avoid unacceptable items. Items you may want to consider (make sure to consult cast members or ingredient lists before consuming to make sure they're still gluten-free!) - Mickey ice cream bars, soft-serve ice cream, popcorn, flourless chocolate cake, crème brulee, gluten-free dinner rolls, waffles, cornbread, pizza, hot dog and burger buns, chicken nuggets. Good luck!

DH was diagnosed with celiac disease 10 years ago, and we've eaten dozens of meals at WDW since then with absolutely no negative reactions. In the last year or two, most restaurants have added an allergy menu, but you always have the option of speaking with a chef at table service or manager at quick service venues. Often the chef will offer to modify a dish even if it's not on the allergy menu (for example, leaving off a sauce that contains gluten or substituting a potato dish for a pasta side). Generally about half to 3/4 of the regular menu items are either already gluten-free or can be modified. Dessert choices are often limited, but if you ask they may be able to cobble together something from ingredients they have on hand (for example, DH loves berries, and many table-service places will put a scoop of them over a dish of ice cream; they've also offered to use a gluten-free brownie as a base for a brownie sundae). At snack carts and walk-up windows they usually have a binder with ingredient lists so you can look for and avoid unacceptable items. Items you may want to consider (make sure to consult cast members or ingredient lists before consuming to make sure they're still gluten-free!) - Mickey ice cream bars, soft-serve ice cream, popcorn, flourless chocolate cake, crème brulee, gluten-free dinner rolls, waffles, cornbread, pizza, hot dog and burger buns, chicken nuggets. Good luck!
Thank you for the information! That is great to know dishes can be modified, we have some favorite Disney dishes an would love to still enjoy them somehow. It has been a change and I still feel unsure about what maybe hidden, but I know Disney is great with allergies. We are sticking with TS mostly due to my unease, but I'm sure it will get better over time. I will just ask, luckily she is not a picky eater! Thank you again!

Disney is the most amazing place for gluten free! I have had celiac for around 8 years now, and have taken many trips to both WDW and DL since. No one does it as well as they do. Do you have any questions about any specific ADRs?

My son is GF, and that is one of the main reasons we keep vacationing at WDW. They accomodate it so well. They've spoiled us. The only restaurant I have been disappointed at was Garden Grill at dinner (but breakfast there was great). Also, not all of the World Showcase restauants can accomodate gluten-free so well. But the other table service locations throughout WDW are great.

Counter service locations will accomodate, too, but they tend to have a more limited gf selection and the process tends to take longer there- don't be shocked by a 20 minute wait. But table service restaurants have it down, with multiple good GF options at each one. Yes, you can ask to talk to a chef at any time.

If you haven't seen this series of GF Disney restaurant reviews, you should take a look:
http://www.gfinorlando.com/p/disney_31.html

My son is GF, and that is one of the main reasons we keep vacationing at WDW. They accomodate it so well. They've spoiled us. The only restaurant I have been disappointed at was Garden Grill at dinner (but breakfast there was great). Also, not all of the World Showcase restauants can accomodate gluten-free so well. But the other table service locations throughout WDW are great.

Counter service locations will accomodate, too, but they tend to have a more limited gf selection and the process tends to take longer there- don't be shocked by a 20 minute wait. But table service restaurants have it down, with multiple good GF options at each one. Yes, you can ask to talk to a chef at any time.

If you haven't seen this series of GF Disney restaurant reviews, you should take a look:
http://www.gfinorlando.com/p/disney_31.html
Thank you for the information! We have TS meals scheduled instead of QS, figured it would just be easier. Thank you again!

My DD has coeliac disease, and we are beyond excited to be travelling to DW, the range of options for her is astounding, and I know that the care taken with preparation will be fabulous.

Disney is the most amazing place for gluten free! I have had celiac for around 8 years now, and have taken many trips to both WDW and DL since. No one does it as well as they do. Do you have any questions about any specific ADRs?
My biggest question/concern is if the items listed on the allergy menu are the only things available. But I believe it's best to look at both and talk to the chef, I hope that's correct. We have the DxDDP so we are sticking with TS and signature dining in the evening. It has only been a few weeks of being GF for her, so I'm still nervous, but I know Disney is good with allergies, so hopeful for a great trip! Thanks again.

My biggest question/concern is if the items listed on the allergy menu are the only things available. But I believe it's best to look at both and talk to the chef, I hope that's correct. We have the DxDDP so we are sticking with TS and signature dining in the evening. It has only been a few weeks of being GF for her, so I'm still nervous, but I know Disney is good with allergies, so hopeful for a great trip! Thanks again.

It's also good to let Disney Dining know ahead of time, too. Since you made the ADRs before you found out about this, I'm sure you didn't mark anything for the special diets, but you can always call them and they can add it. That way when you check in, they know, too. For buffets, a chef will always come out and walk with her through the buffet, letting her know what items are safe, and usually offering to make any items that may be cross-contaminated to be brought to the table, along with a special GF dessert. At TS restaurants, they have the menus, but you can always ask about something else being made GF that isn't on the menu and they'll make every effort to accommodate it if they can. Most TS restaurants even bring GF bread before the meal.

Also, if you're planning on going to Disney Springs, Erin McKenna's bakery is entirely gluten free, and they have some delicious treats!

The chef should come to your table and go over what she can and cannot eat there. He/She could also tell you what they could put together for her to eat that isn't necessarily on the allergy menu but is GF and safe for her to eat.

It's also good to let Disney Dining know ahead of time, too. Since you made the ADRs before you found out about this, I'm sure you didn't mark anything for the special diets, but you can always call them and they can add it. That way when you check in, they know, too. For buffets, a chef will always come out and walk with her through the buffet, letting her know what items are safe, and usually offering to make any items that may be cross-contaminated to be brought to the table, along with a special GF dessert. At TS restaurants, they have the menus, but you can always ask about something else being made GF that isn't on the menu and they'll make every effort to accommodate it if they can. Most TS restaurants even bring GF bread before the meal.

Also, if you're planning on going to Disney Springs, Erin McKenna's bakery is entirely gluten free, and they have some delicious treats!
Perfect...thank you! On the road now heading to the Happiest Place On Earth!!

I have celiac, and Disney is, without a doubt, the best vacation spot ever. Everyone is so accommodating, and I have never, ever had an issue. Many times the chef came out and talked to me and basically said tell me what you like on the menu and I will try and adapt it for you. It is incredible. There are many counter service restaurants that have gluten free fryers, and even have designated cutlery and trays for you. We did the Star Wars dessert party as my brother is huge fan, and we wanted the (adult) drinks, and even though there were at least 3 or 4 desserts I could eat there, they, in addition, gave me a bag full of gluten free desserts, that was more than anyone could ever have eaten. It had to be worth at least 60 bucks. We did a few buffets too, which can be tricky with cross contamination, and the chef literally just told me to tell him what I wanted from the things that were gluten free, and he would get someone to bring me out a side plate of them before they put them out fresh. I can honestly say coming home was hard. It is impossible to get the kind of safety and service anywhere else. They really outdo themselves.

Just returned from our first GF trip, always sad to leave Disney. We had some great experiences, some good experiences and a couple restaurants/chefs I expected more. We had booked the trip prior to going GF, it is a new allergy for our youngest and just to make it easier the entire family eats GF. We also had purchased the DxDDP (hindsight that was a wrong turn) and made all ADR prior to diagnosis. Some of the highlights were Narcoossee's, Oasis pool bar, Graden Grill breakfast and CRT dinner. The one restaurant that disappointed us the most, of course we had 2 ADR was California Grill. We had brunch and dinner and they just were not very helpful or accommodating. Chef never came to the table and servers just gave us the allergy menu and that was it. When we were not GF the DxDDP was great for our family, now not so much. It's difficult to find 4 different GF apps and desserts to try/share. So next visit we will try without a dining plan and see how it goes. Again, most places were great, there was just a couple that surprised us as being just ok. Thanks again for everyone's help, GF is definitely a learning process for me, but we will get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!