New to Universal with kids...help

I would also say, if you are going to go to Universal, and I hope you do check it out, buy your tickets before you go. It may not save much money, but having live tickets in your hand will be one less line to stand in.

Besides the two big coasters mentioned, Mummy deserves a nod too. It may be scary, mostly in the dark, but a short, fun indoor coaster than even I tolerate. A bit like Space Mountain.

And child swap is done in the line. And very easy for all to enter the line, then split up and wait near the exit. The child swap rooms are nice, some nicer than others.

Came back to say that if you stay onsite at UO, they do have regular schedule free shuttles to Sea World daily
I know, we really need to take a few days and stay at UO. I just feel there is so much more for the little one still at Disney. But my oldest probably only has another year or two before she starts wanting more. That's why I told her one day at universal to see how it is with our family and then when we come back to Florida (usually go every 1 1/2-2 yrs), we can decide if we want to split our vacation up and do half UO. The last time I was there was 17 years ago with just adults and had an awesome time. Loved front row of dueling dragons but I know that's gone.

I would also say, if you are going to go to Universal, and I hope you do check it out, buy your tickets before you go. It may not save much money, but having live tickets in your hand will be one less line to stand in.

Besides the two big coasters mentioned, Mummy deserves a nod too. It may be scary, mostly in the dark, but a short, fun indoor coaster than even I tolerate. A bit like Space Mountain.

And child swap is done in the line. And very easy for all to enter the line, then split up and wait near the exit. The child swap rooms are nice, some nicer than others.
Thanks for the suggestions. With child swap, do they let the child that wants to ride ride twice, once with each parent?

Just thinking out loud here...
The “Disney folks” who come to this forum to complain about Universal seem to have one thing in common. They “squeeze” in a partial Universal day just so they can “try” it. It’s the equivalent of going to Magic Kingdom during the middle of the day without FPs or any sense of how to optimally experience the rides, dining, etc. Just like Disney, you need to give Universal some time to explore and enjoy the park. Otherwise, you could easily feel miserable for blowing time and money at a park that is not your normal happy place. No advice, just something to consider.

Thanks for the suggestions. With child swap, do they let the child that wants to ride ride twice, once with each parent?

Yes. And I have seen it done mutiple times.

And a hello, I live about 40 minutes from Sesame Place. My kids are 17 and 21, but we have had Super Grover passes over the years, more for use in the other parks.

The “Disney folks” who come to this forum to complain about Universal seem to have one thing in common. They “squeeze” in a partial Universal day just so they can “try” it. It’s the equivalent of going to Magic Kingdom during the middle of the day without FPs or any sense of how to optimally experience the rides, dining, etc. Just like Disney, you need to give Universal some time to explore and enjoy the park. Otherwise, you could easily feel miserable for blowing time and money at a park that is not your normal happy place. No advice, just something to consider.
I'm definitely not complaining, just trying to ask "experts' what the best option would be based on my family dynamic. It would be like bringing a bunch of adults for the first time to disney who like thrill rides. Is it worth it? It might not be but theyve never been so maybe they can squeeze a day in to decide if it's worth it in the future. Again, my youngest is only two so I don't want to spend a ton of time there when they cater to older kids/adults, right?

I'm definitely not complaining, just trying to ask "experts' what the best option would be based on my family dynamic. It would be like bringing a bunch of adults for the first time to disney who like thrill rides. Is it worth it? It might not be but theyve never been so maybe they can squeeze a day in to decide if it's worth it in the future. Again, my youngest is only two so I don't want to spend a ton of time there when they cater to older kids/adults, right?
I understand that you’re not complaining. Although I’m no “expert,” I just wanted to add some information I’ve gleaned from many other threads I’ve read here.

And a hello, I live about 40 minutes from Sesame Place. My kids are 17 and 21, but we have had Super Grover passes over the years, more for use in the other parks.
Nice! We live a little less than 3 hours away in Ct but we love going there for all the holiday celebrations. The season pass is well worth it and makes a fun weekend trip!

Actually, I think Universal has MORE to offer the younger ones than disney parks.

Hi from South Jersey, Lynne! (Not sure what direction your 40 minutes is--but we're about 40 minutes away, too.) Believe it or not, we've only done Sesame Place once, and that was at Christmas when half the stuff was closed!

Hi from South Jersey, Lynne! (Not sure what direction your 40 minutes is--but we're about 40 minutes away, too.) Believe it or not, we've only done Sesame Place once, and that was at Christmas when half the stuff was closed!

Hi Stacey,
Generally south and a wee bit west, and my kids summer work in Southampton, and have friends in the Langhorne area, so around SP is familiar to us, also because many a soccer game was played near there as well.

Hmmmm. Since you are not going until September, you might want to consider the new Harry Potter coaster that is currently being installed at IOA. It sounds like it just may be something that you daughter will really want to try.

September is a great time to go for low crowds.

We just got back with an 18 month old. She really enjoyed the "round and rounds" aka spinning flat rides such as Kang and Kodos and One Fish Two Fish. She also really liked the playgrounds and was just as happy at Universal as at Disney. In fact, there was very little for her to do at a few Disney parks (Hollywood Studios, I am looking at you!!!) and I would say she liked Universal/IOA better since there were places for her to actually get out of the stroller and play. Disney really, really needs to add some more areas for the littles to get out of the stroller. The Barney playground was a huge hit as it is indoors and air conditioned and not themed to Barney at all, lol. However, that whole section may be closed when you are there due to new construction that is still not announced.

If you really want to save money, you might want to consider leaving Dad and the babe at the hotel to play and you and the older child get park to park passes and do all the major fun rides in your one day.

Last edited:
With September 6 being the start of the hard ticket event of Halloween horror nights, avoid going on the dates it will be held, especially weekends

Or may be go on the mornings after hhn is held

That way it is quite possible for less morning crowds

Or go to IOA and avoid UO on hhn dates

I understand that you’re not complaining. Although I’m no “expert,” I just wanted to add some information I’ve gleaned from many other threads I’ve read here.

Saying this in a different way ...

This happened to my brother and sister in law when they went a few years ago. They took one day out of a Disney vacation to go to Uni. The impression they got from that was that Uni was more expensive than Disney, more crowded then Disney and it was a hassle. It really colored their perception of the park and they haven't been back. It's a shame because I think they would have really liked it if they had gone for a few days. Most of the things they didn't like are mitigated in multiple ways when you spend more time. OP I don't say this is discourage you but just to point out that if you and your daughter like the rides and the themes but the crowds and waits and the amount of money you spent frustrate you try not to take that to be the universal (pun intended) experience.

Also, I really like the pp's suggestion to have DH stay with your 2 yo at Disney. They could even have a park day together (mine as littles would have loved a day when they got to pick all the rides with no pesky siblings to compromise with). That approach allows you and your daughter to move much more quickly at Uni and probably get a lot more enjoyment out of the park. And you'd save a little money.

Actually, I think Universal has MORE to offer the younger ones than disney parks.
oh interesting! What do they have? I know curious George and cat in the hat and the ET ride. What else? We brought her to Disney at 12 months old last year and she was able to go on 3/4 of the rides.

I like the idea of keeping my DH and little one behind but not sure my husband would want that. Think he would want to experience it with our oldest too. But now that I am hearing that the little ones enjoy UO also, I'm thinking of cutting our Disney vacation by a night and adding two other days so we have 3 nights at Universal with a 2 day pass. Maybe do one park each day?

I like the idea of keeping my DH and little one behind but not sure my husband would want that. Think he would want to experience it with our oldest too. But now that I am hearing that the little ones enjoy UO also, I'm thinking of cutting our Disney vacation by a night and adding two other days so we have 3 nights at Universal with a 2 day pass. Maybe do one park each day?

Much better idea!!!!

Honestly, I wouldn't waste the money for a half day or even one full day. No way are you going to be able to do, and frankly it sounds like you'd rather stay at Disney. I'd just take the older one by herself for a few hours and use single rider on EE and RnR to ride them repeatedly.

Agreed. I would never go to the Theme Parks board and say "I'm taking a day out of my Universal vacation to try WDW - what can I do?" I'd probably get roasted alive.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste the money for a half day or even one full day. No way are you going to be able to do, and frankly it sounds like you'd rather stay at Disney. I'd just take the older one by herself for a few hours and use single rider on EE and RnR to ride them repeatedly.

Half a day for that cost would make my head explode. They are planning to get there at the most crowded part of the day. By close time the crowds should die down, but still, without express pass, they are going to be severely limited in a short half day.

But they seem determined to see UO with the time they have and contrary to the first post that it was for the older one to have bigger coasters, because if SW coasters are TOO intense, I can't see the child doing the ones at UO, it really seems it is to look at the Universal park and decide if they want to return.

I do understand wanting to see the park, but that is a lot of money, and while I do think they will enjoy what they do get to do, I really feel the plan for half a day is going to lead to disappointment.

Now if they do add another day, it will probably be far more enjoyable. They could also take advantage of the hotel perk of early morning extra hour.

But that is only for the potter areas so that would decide which park they will be spending the day in if they take advantage of early morning extra hour and I do think if I only had one day, I would choose the studios one.

The fact they do not care for HP in no way should they skip it. It is fantastic even if you never heard of HP. I feel the older child is the perfect age to enjoy playing with an interactive wand also. But with the half day plan, that would be darn near impossible as the area will be wall to wall people by the time they get there.

Likewise, if I only had half a day for disney, I would skip it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!