New TSA rules

Glad I already have pre-check thanks to global entry. I hope your processing doesn't take too long!
Any idea how long it usually takes? I signed up online but have to take my documents to a facility next week (earliest appointment I could get). Wasn't entirely sure how the process worked.

Any idea how long it usually takes? I signed up online but have to take my documents to a facility next week (earliest appointment I could get). Wasn't entirely sure how the process worked.

Pre-check you should get it 2-3 weeks after that I think. I did Global Entry and it took a month from start to finish but in that one you submit the forms and was for pre-approval and then take the documents to an interview. I got my KTN that day but know pre-check sometimes you get it after.

They've always asked for laptops to be separated, I think, but now my Kindle also?

Pre-check you should get it 2-3 weeks after that I think. I did Global Entry and it took a month from start to finish but in that one you submit the forms and was for pre-approval and then take the documents to an interview. I got my KTN that day but know pre-check sometimes you get it after.
Ok thanks!

It was pretty quick for me. I did the screening and within a couple days I had an email stating they completed the process. Once I logged in, they had the number there. A couple weeks later they'll send a letter.

This was in the email I received when I applied about a year ago, after pre-enrollment: "If approved, you will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail typically within 2-3 weeks from applying. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel."

The email I received after the in-peson screening (which was done in a flash, btw) had a link that you could click to check your application status. A few days later the number was there, and I did get the letter in about 2wks.

This was in the email I received when I applied about a year ago, after pre-enrollment: "If approved, you will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail typically within 2-3 weeks from applying. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel."

The email I received after the in-peson screening (which was done in a flash, btw) had a link that you could click to check your application status. A few days later the number was there, and I did get the letter in about 2wks.
Awesome thanks!

My mom had pre-check because of her pacemaker and never took advantage of it. Now she should if we were to fly again

There was an article about this 2 months ago now.
Laptops have always needed to be taken out so that's not any different.
And up until a few years ago when larger electronics like tablets became widely used they had to be taken out as well.
September 2012 my friend flew for the first time and none of us had a clue she'd have to remove her Nexus as we had never taken such a thing through security and they stopped her bag in the x-ray and made her come back and tell them what was in it and take it out.
Also I departed for home from LAX (one of the airports that it is supposedly already in place at) earlier this month and I had fully expected to have to remove my 10" tablet but signage said only laptops so I did not remove it and I passed through security without a problem.

My wife received hers the day after the interview. Mine took over two months. My wife had a passport, so that may have expedited her processing. I was prepared for a long wait after the interview because they told me there was a very large backlog of applications. With these just released changes, more people may now be applying so don't be surprised if your approval may take longer than a month. Well worth the effort though. After two trips to Orlando and the extremely long wait to get through TSA on both trips, we decided it was worth the effort to get Pre-Check since we make three to four trips a year down there. It has made a really big difference for us.

It was pretty quick for me. I did the screening and within a couple days I had an email stating they completed the process. Once I logged in, they had the number there. A couple weeks later they'll send a letter.

Just for comparison, the process was really quick for me, same with @Roxyfire but for my grandfather (who only had his appointment a couple days after me) it took the entire time listed.

I always keep my electronics separate anyways. Even my iPhone, just in case something like this would happen.
I've always done this too...my Kindle is usually in the same slot as the laptop anyways, so I just take them both out, and my phone is usually in my pocket, so I take that out too. I flew out of Detroit just two weeks ago and they were test running this. I got through security pretty quickly. The hold up was they only had one body scanner for two lines.

As someone who avoids flying at all costs and does it maybe once every 3 years... what is pre-check exactly and what is that process like? Does it cost money and is it worth it if I rarely fly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter