New TSA rules

They have done this in the past, and if you have to take out a laptop anyway, adding an iPad really isn't that big of a deal. But I have Global Entry, which gives me pre-check. The pre-check alone is $89 for 5 years, but for $11 more you can get Global Entry. Also if you use an American Express Platinum card to pay for Global Entry or Pre-Check they will reimburse you the fee.

They have done this in the past, and if you have to take out a laptop anyway, adding an iPad really isn't that big of a deal. But I have Global Entry, which gives me pre-check. The pre-check alone is $89 for 5 years, but for $11 more you can get Global Entry. Also if you use an American Express Platinum card to pay for Global Entry or Pre-Check they will reimburse you the fee.
For me I travel with more than just an iPad, I have my DSLR and stuff like that. Pre-Check for me was $85

Any idea how long it usually takes? I signed up online but have to take my documents to a facility next week (earliest appointment I could get). Wasn't entirely sure how the process worked.

We got ours the next business day after doing our prints. But DW and I are already in the federal system, so I am not sure if that helped or not. My friend's got their pretty quick too, but they were all also had relatively recent FBI background checks, let us.

PSA: Many of the new high end travel cards will pay for your Pre-Check or Global Entry fee. DW and I used our Chase Sapphire Reserve card, got pre-check for free.

BUT this will make the overall security line move slower than ever, now.

Having to remove electronics was the last straw for me. Since I don't have to fly for work anymore, I won't fly for pleasure.

Removing electronics is going to cause the security lines to slow way down. We're a society addicted to our electronics, and it isn't going to change.

I have flown both with and without precheck and precheck is so much easier. When I travelled with my mom she had it for all of us. I decided after our last WDW trip that spending 85 bucks for five years is much easier than waiting 60 minutes in line at MCO, which is the wait I had last time without precheck.

As I understand it, kids younger than 12 can also use it if traveling with a parent? Is that correct?

As TSA checks keep getting "stratified"... just my dear wife and I - we quite. Tired of untieing shoes, and ripping out 90% of our carry on contents to play "bin bingo".

Today, we BOTH bought TSA PRE. It was becoming obvious to ME, anyway, that TSA wants money, and the money will eliminate a good deal of the silliness. So we opted into the "protection" side of TSA. Please - note: I never refereed to this as a "protection racket" - that would be wrong :).

Having gone through this process? I must admit, TSA collects more pertinent DATA on a "known traveler" than the US Pass Port System does. In fact, it's a GREAT idea to START with a full US PASSPORT. Simplifies their lives, and yours.

Cost: $85 per person for 5 years. No "renewal" deals.

Ive flown several times this summer with the new rule and it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It only took an extra second to pull my laptop and iPad out of my backpack. I unpacked all my things into bins and still had to wait behind a couple of people for the body scanning part anyway. I did have to use 4 bins though.

Any idea how long it usually takes? I signed up online but have to take my documents to a facility next week (earliest appointment I could get). Wasn't entirely sure how the process worked.

Pre-check costs $85 and lasts something like 3 years. If you fly only once every three years I don't think it would be worth it.

I know it says to use the KTN for booing travel. Now what if I have a flight booked already, can I add it to that?

I signed up online this past Monday, had an appt for fingerprinting/documents on Tuesday (was in and out of the office in seven minutes), and got my approval and KTN last night via email. Super fast.

I have a bunch of flights already booked...went to the airline websites this morning, logged into each reservation with my flight confirmation number and added the KTN number to those specific flights. Also added it to my profile on the airlines I have FF miles with so it'll auto add to any new flights. Didn't have to call at all. Also, it's five years for $85...an even better deal than what you thought!

It doesn't take very long at all. We got the KTN pretty quick.
We've had pre-check about 3 years now and it was the best thing we ever did!! Love it
Like someone else said it's more worth it if you fly more than just once a year.

I always tell people to pay the extra for Global Entry because you get precheck. Global Entry, is worth the extra 10-15 bucks.. even if you use it once!

I always tell people to pay the extra for Global Entry because you get precheck. Global Entry, is worth the extra 10-15 bucks.. even if you use it once!
Yes, but it takes a bit more effort to get and I understand you need to have a valid passport.

Today, we BOTH bought TSA PRE. It was becoming obvious to ME, anyway, that TSA wants money, and the money will eliminate a good deal of the silliness. So we opted into the "protection" side of TSA. Please - note: I never refereed to this as a "protection racket" - that would be wrong :).
It's not because they want money. It's because somebody has to pay for the cost of the background check, prints, and program administration -- and it shouldn't be the taxpayer base.

My son gets pre-check for the last couple years. We never paid or applied for it. He has ASD and is currently 14. We never send him through that line since no one else in the family has pre-check. Does anyone have any idea how he got this?

My son gets pre-check for the last couple years. We never paid or applied for it. He has ASD and is currently 14. We never send him through that line since no one else in the family has pre-check. Does anyone have any idea how he got this?

Some airlines just do it randomly. They were suppose to stop randomly giving it away but it seems many still do it.

The biggest issue is you have to make to to a city with an international airport, generally in the middle of a workday, to do the interview. Lots of people really don't have that option. I have no idea why customs doesn't either outsource it or give a remote option.

The biggest issue is you have to make to to a city with an international airport, generally in the middle of a workday, to do the interview. Lots of people really don't have that option. I have no idea why customs doesn't either outsource it or give a remote option.
That is my problem as well. I am in the Charleston SC, and do not have an interview office near me. However, the office for Pre-Check is right down the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!