New TSA rules

I think people constantly forget that although screening may be an inconvenience to some it is for the overall safety of the traveling public.

Real security, like the kind practiced by the Israelis, does work and improve the overall safety. However, the TSA has a 95% failure rate on tests. I've experienced this personally. Back in the mid 2000s, a former coworker had a cigarette lighter slip through a hole in the pocket of his jacket into the lining. He traveled through numerous airports in the USA and TSA did not catch it. It was finally found at Dulles, but that was after six months of going through quite a few airports.

Real security, like the kind practiced by the Israelis, does work and improve the overall safety. However, the TSA has a 95% failure rate on tests. I've experienced this personally. Back in the mid 2000s, a former coworker had a cigarette lighter slip through a hole in the pocket of his jacket into the lining. He traveled through numerous airports in the USA and TSA did not catch it. It was finally found at Dulles, but that was after six months of going through quite a few airports.
Lighters are permitted through the check point so I'm not sure why that's an issue unless it was a torch lighter like what's used for cigars and what not. Standard lighters are fine. The failure rate is an extremely out dated statistic.

All these rules and such always keep our family in a minimalist state during vacation! We try not to bring many electronics, and we dress very lightly for security. Yes we actually pick out an outfit specifically for getting us through security more quickly (no pockets, etc.)! LOL Guess that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Security is just a way of life now... *shrug* we could get frustrated and angry about it or we could just relax and take this time to spend with family members that we normally wouldn't have. plus... if you're heading to Disney, you have to practice waiting in line so you don't have a meltdown over a standby wait! :D

The failure rate is an extremely out dated statistic.

Before I posted, I double checked my figures. Their failure rate overall was 95% in 2015. In 2017, MSP had a failure rate of 94.4%. Analysts that comments said the overall failure rate has continued to be high.

Lighters are permitted through the check point so I'm not sure why that's an issue unless it was a torch lighter like what's used for cigars and what not. Standard lighters are fine.

This was back in 2006, so i'm not sure if the rules have changed since then. It was a Bic disposable lighter. They really jacked him up for it. I was watching everything, since I had cleared security. He said they kept asking him "do you have anything you want to tell us" and asking him to admit to what he was trying to do. However he had no clue what they were talking about!

We don't travel much (1-2x/year at most) and carry with us a laptop, tablet, our cell phones and our Kindles because no way am I gonna check those items! As infrequent travelers, we decided that pre-check isn't really worth it for us. So, in October, we're going to slog it through with the unwashed barefoot masses and get frisked.

Questions for those of you NOT enrolled in pre-check:
  • Is TSA requiring a separate BIN for every device, or can you put multiple devices in one bin? If so, the 2 of us, we'll need 10 bins to handle our electronics, shoes, etc! Might as well hire a danged caravan and circus tent!
  • Do they require us to take out battery packs / chargers (because that danged MDE app sucks your battery in the park faster than anything!)?
  • How do they ensure that some unscrupulous traveler doesn't just walk off with your stuff while the agents are oogling your middle aged fat rolls in the scanning machine?
Depends on the airport and the screeners.

I have always put laptops in a single layer so each one gets its own bin. When I have the kids with me, we have a bunch of electronic stuff. It all goes in a single layer but fits in one bin. Shoes, jackets, purses, carryon bags get piled as high as practical in one bin.

I was once yelled at for not taking my surface out of a bag and yelled at another time for taking it out. I just try to mind read and figure out what they want this time.

Before I posted, I double checked my figures. Their failure rate overall was 95% in 2015. In 2017, MSP had a failure rate of 94.4%. Analysts that comments said the overall failure rate has continued to be high.

This was back in 2006, so i'm not sure if the rules have changed since then. It was a Bic disposable lighter. They really jacked him up for it. I was watching everything, since I had cleared security. He said they kept asking him "do you have anything you want to tell us" and asking him to admit to what he was trying to do. However he had no clue what they were talking about!

I cant comment on specific airports but I know for a fact that my local airports failure rate is no where near that high. Not all airports deliver the same service or standards unfortunately.

I cant really comment on the rules in 2006 but if I remember correctly that was the same year that all liquids gels and aerosols had to be limited due to a major plot that was foiled over seas. So makes sense that they would have a knee jerk reaction to a regular BIC lighter considering they have fluid in them and all liquids were banned. Things are currently and always evolving in the world and security is no different.

I understand the publics frustrations with TSA because it can be a hassle, but they consistently are breaking records in the number of guns they are finding in carry on luggage. I find it hard to believe that every gun found in a bag happens to be an "oh I forgot it was in there" situation. There are people on this planet that just want to do harm obviously they wouldn't fess up to wanting to do wrong right in the middle of getting caught.

As long as we have a system that's put in place to protect the traveling public I'm more than willing to do whatever they tell me to if I know I'm going to get to my destination safely.

I was once yelled at for not taking my surface out of a bag and yelled at another time for taking it out. I just try to mind read and figure out what they want this time.

Back when I was flying a lot for business (2006-2013) I bought a TSA approved laptop backpack so that I didn't have to take out my laptop. Every time I went to the conveyor belt, I unzipped it and laid it out flat.

At one airport, after I unzipped and folded out the backpack, the TSA agent took my backpack off the conveyor belt, zipped it up, and sent it through the xray machine. Of course, that set off the system and I had to wait for a supervisor to take my backpack and me for special screening.

As he was swabbing my laptop, he explained the rules to me. I nodded and said "uh huh" with each one, since I knew the rules. When he got to the end and said that their are certain backpacks that you can buy that you don't have to take the laptop out. I responded, yes, I know. This is one of those backpacks, and I had unzipped it and laid it out flat following the rules, but then the TSA agent at the conveyor belt (and I pointed to the one), took it off the belt and zipped it back up!

The supervisor got a horrified look on his face, apologized profusely, and had me go on my way. I then saw him walk over to the agent and explain the rules to her.

I cant really comment on the rules in 2006 but if I remember correctly that was the same year that all liquids gels and aerosols had to be limited due to a major plot that was foiled over seas. So makes sense that they would have a knee jerk reaction to a regular BIC lighter considering they have fluid in them and all liquids were banned. Things are currently and always evolving in the world and security is no different.

The whole point I was trying to make is that a prohibited item made it through security screening at about a dozen US airports until someone caught it. TSA doesn't catch everything.

Last edited:

In the last week, I've been yelled at for both keeping my laptop in my carry on backpack, and for leaving it in. I've been told the policy is different by so many different people this summer it's a joke. I've had slightly oversized liquids make it through fine 95% of the time.

Back when I was flying a lot for business (2006-2013) I bought a TSA approved laptop backpack so that I didn't have to take out my laptop. Every time I went to the conveyor belt, I unzipped it and laid it out flat.

At one airport, after I unzipped and folded out the backpack, the TSA agent took my backpack off the conveyor belt, zipped it up, and sent it through the xray machine. Of course, that set off the system and I had to wait for a supervisor to take my backpack and me for special screening.

As he was swabbing my laptop, he explained the rules to me. I nodded and said "uh huh" with each one, since I knew the rules. When he got to the end and said that their are certain backpacks that you can buy that you don't have to take the laptop out. I responded, yes, I know. This is one of those backpacks, and I had unzipped it and laid it out flat following the rules, but then the TSA agent at the conveyor belt (and I pointed to the one), took it off the belt and zipped it back up!

The supervisor got a horrified look on his face, apologized profusely, and had me go on my way. I then saw him walk over to the agent and explain the rules to her.

The whole point I was trying to make is that a prohibited item made it through security screening at about a dozen US airports until someone caught it. TSA doesn't catch everything.
I get your point about things getting through but I think it's unrealistic to think they everything is going to be caught every single time. The tech that's used is far from perfect and the people operating them aren't perfect either. But like I said before as long as we have a system in place that is protecting the public to where we are getting to our destinations safely then we shouldn't really complain.

They should get smart lanes and dogs like Atlanta.
They had this in MCO a few yrs ago. I remember being in the security line as we slowly snaked around a pen with 2 small labs in the middle. Both with heads down sniffing away. Don't know if they only bring the dogs into Orlando when there is a specific threat.

In the last week, I've been yelled at for both keeping my laptop in my carry on backpack, and for leaving it in. I've been told the policy is different by so many different people this summer it's a joke.
This is definitely Back To The Future. This was the norm for me flying through European hubs on connecting flights approx 6 or 7 yrs ago. Frankfurt wanted laptops out. Munich wanted laptops in. Mix it up and be prepared for a lashing. Most of us now dread flying. It is an ordeal to be endured. Nothing pleasurable about it. Only a means to an end to get to our destination and then back home.

Want to say a quick thank you to those who posted about pre-check - somehow I had it in my head that the cost was PER YEAR, not every 5 years. :confused3 As early Christmas gifts to one another, Mr. Ariel484 and I applied last week and got our KTNs! :yay:

This may have been mentioned in this post already, but I don't recall seeing it so I'll throw it out there.

For anyone who is considering getting Precheck, or Global Entry, it would be worth checking with your credit card company to see if they offer any kind of benefit for it. When I purchased mine I used my American Express Business card. The day after I paid for the Precheck I got a credit on my bill for the full amount of the purchase. I didn't know it at the time, but it turns out the American Express card I have has a benefit that will reimburse for the cost of one of the TSA pre screening programs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter