• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New with Questions

JaredsMom01

Earning My Ears
Hi
:wave:
I have a couple of questions, my dh is in a wheelchair and by time we go to WDW he may have his on power chair if not we will rent one. Is it easy to get around the parks with a power chair?
How are the rooms for people with disabilities? We will be staying onsite. Not sure where yet.
Is there a place better then the rest?
Also how do I order the dvd for planning a WDW vacation?
I'm sure I will have more questions later. We have never been and I am trying to find out as much as I can.
Thanks for all your help:tongue:

:earsboy: :earsgirl: ::MickeyMo

Welcome to the DISboards!

Getting around WDW in a powerchair or wheelchair is easy. You will need to be watchful -- my DW uses an ECV at WDW and we both watch as she "motors" along. Many times people in wheelchairs or ECVs become invisible to everyone else. :eek: Also, patience is essential -- sometimes you may have to wait for people to clear so you can use the ramps to get on/off sidewalks. I've found most people are understanding ... just keep you eyes open for the few who will walk in front of you suddenly.

All the onsite properties have great rooms for people with disabilities. Be sure to note this on your reservation. We love staying at WL or BC (those are our favorites).

I hope you are aware there are major differences between a power chair and an electric convenience vehicle (usually referred to either as a scooter or ECV).

My understanding is the companies down here will rent a power chair only if you already have one. They will want to know what model you use and what all your setting are, where the controller is, etc., so they can set the chair up properly.

An ECV can be used by almost anyone, but the user has to be able to turn the handlebars (for steering) and press the control lever. Note that many large stores (such as WalMart) and large grocery store will have ECVs available for shoppers to use. Be aware those ECVs are much larger and harder to maneuver than the off-site ECV rentals.

Luckily I have never needed an accessible room, but my understanding is that WDW is one of the most accessible places anywhere.

Just wanted to say hello! When you call to enquire about rates, tell the reservationist that you need an accessible room. They will transfer you to someone who can make sure your dh has what he needs. The main reservationists don't have access to the accessible rooms so you need to talk to the special request people.

WDW is great in terms of getting around in a wc or ECV.

Feel free to ask lots of questions as you get ready for your trip!!! Also, if you let us know details as you plan them, we may have some additional ideas for you.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter