New Year, New Start - January WISH Challenge

Topic Tuesday

I think it was my week, please let me know if it is not so!

Let's talk about night time snacking or quit your diet at night. Why oh why is it so hard at times? Any tips and tricks and thoughts on how to do better at night?

Lets try to brainstorm tricks, affirmations, ways of keeping some of that the morning motivation at night

Never quit on a bad day (when you're tired, hungry, miserable and it hurts). Finish the day. Quit tomorrow (if you still want to). That's the secret - after finishing the day, you feel like you overcame and accomplished something, and almost always feel remotivated to keep going

I like the "quit tomorrow" mantra!

And I think the reason people have a harder time at night is simply that they're tired. They need sleep, but still have things to do before before bed, so their bodies turn to food for a little extra energy instead. And they've been putting effort into will power (and a million other things) all day, and there's just none left to keep the choices healthy.

Let's talk about night time snacking or quit your diet at night. Why oh why is it so hard at times? Any tips and tricks and thoughts on how to do better at night?
I am struggling with this! Years ago, when I first lost weight, I would have a half cup of fruit as dessert. And that was the last planned thing to eat at night. I usually did pineapple because that’s my favorite! So it was a treat. Then if I was still hungry later in the evening, I would try drinking water. If that didn’t work, I would just go to bed. Some nights I was going to bed at 8/8:30 because I was trying to train myself to not eat anything else after that fruit. It was HARD! And now, sometimes I can’t just go to bed because my son has basketball practice from 8-9pm or my daughter had indoor hockey practice until 8:30. But I think I will try to plan fruit that I enjoy as my last planned thing to eat and drink water afterwards.

I like your “quit tomorrow”. So many time it’s “I’ll get back on track tomorrow”. But that small change in mindset can go a long way!

There is actually a great program for scholarships for high school students to come to Germany for a year. It has run for a long time. I did a one year exchange to Denmark and it was an amazing experience for me. If he is that much interested in Germany, he might find it interesting. I know, a year is long, but it let's you really get settled into your host family and school and you experience every season. More info is here: https://www.usagermanyscholarship.org As far as I know it really varies how competitive it is (some areas might have 20 applicants for one spot, others only two), so don't be discouraged by it sounding like you had to be some kind of super student to get a spot. I have been a volunteer for one of the organizations that are dealing with the program for a long time and have met many American students who came to Germany that way, that's how I know about the program.

This is awesome. I will look into it. I might have a hard time letting him go for a year though. My sister was an exchange student to Venezuela the year after she graduated.

So this weekend did not go as planned and I don't think this week will either. It started as soon as I walked into the house on Friday after work. DD came out of her room to tell me she had a fever. She has had a fever now since then. She is home today from school. DH started to not feel good yesterday and this morning I am not feeling great. I am at work but we will see how long I last. DH works from home so he is trying to get some work done. DS is going strong though and no signs of getting this. It seems to be just a fever and a cough. What I am hear from parents that took there kids to the Dr. it sounds like DD has influenza A.

Saturday was an off day as well as dinner was held off for a bit. DS had a basketball game at 4. This team we played were horrible, attitude wise. Their coach was screaming and yelling at his kids, belittling them, saying things as our kids went to shoot and also yelling at our kids. He pushed one of our players away and yelled at another when they went to see if there player who got hurt was ok. After the game was over some words were exchanged between our coach and theirs and a fist fight insued. It was horrible. We all went into action. Some parents helped to stop it while other (me) got the kids to the other side of the court. It was just horrible. I couldn't eat for some time after. I have never seen a fist fight in person before. It was kind of scary. Even as our coach was walking away the other coach was yelling and trying to get at our coach. The team is standing behind our coach who is normally a really quit guy and a really good coach. We are most likely not playing our game next week as we play right after the team we played Saturday. There are talks that we will just go do something fun as a team to avoid running into that team again. The kids don't even want to go to the game because of this other coach. In all my years of watching and playing sports I have never seen a coach like this before.

Monday Question:
My bad Habit is that I tend to eat too Little in order to save calories and then it backfires. Happened yesterday. Instead of having two Snacks in the afternoon before going to the gym, I only had one. By the time I got home, I was famished. I had a healthy dinner, but I was still hungry and then I started to eat crap. I tracked it, it cost me over 400 calories. If I had the healthy Snack of 200 calories that I had at the office, I would have eaten less in total and healthier stuff.

Tuesday Question:
My best trick to avoid snacking in the evening is to brush my teeth after dinner. First of all with the toothpaste and mouthwash taste lingering in my mouth, most Foods won't taste that good anyway, so there is less Appetite. And it also Signals to my brain that the Eating for the day is over.

@piglet1979 I hope you are all Feeling better soon! And that Story with the other Coach is scary!! Have other Teams playing that Team had Problems, too? And what do the parents on that Team say?? Really strange, one would think that with this Kind of behaviour he would be out very quickly!

@piglet1979 I hope you are all Feeling better soon! And that Story with the other Coach is scary!! Have other Teams playing that Team had Problems, too? And what do the parents on that Team say?? Really strange, one would think that with this Kind of behaviour he would be out very quickly!

I have not talked to other teams that have played this team yet. This team is from a different city then ours so i don't know how their parents feel about it. If DS was on that team I would pull. This is all for Rec basketball too. No need for this. The kids re here because they just want to play and didn't make the middle school team. The parents on our team are hoping that something is done with this coach. He is an 18 year old punk and he needs to go. There is a possibility that our coach will not be able to finish out the year coaching and that upsets all the parents on our team. We will stand by our coach if something happens especially if nothing happens with the other coach. With it being different cities we don't know if that city will let it slide.

@piglet1979, how awful for the kids and parents! Hope it all works out.

Yes, snacking is a problem for me right now. Maybe because it’s cold and I’m sitting in front of the fireplace and a cookie just seems like a good idea. I like the idea of planning for that snack. I will try the hot chocolate because it’s a good source of calcium and takes a while to drink.

I am trying something new, or something I knew of but I have not tried again. I put my countdown on my phone for 3 to 3.5 hours after my meal and I tell myself that I just had meal 20 minutes ago, I am not hungry, I can eat in few hours. I find this particularly bad in the night as I finish my meal, grab piece of fruit without being hungry and then continue to pick on food. I had dinner at 6 with my family and had snack at 8:30 yesterday but still finished off way less calories than any other day this year.

That's what I came up as list

I read somewhere people rush around all day without checking in how do they feel and by the time they get home or after diner all feelings as stress, sadness, anxiety kick in and self medicate with food. I also think that sometimes it’s just bad habit. I am tired, I deserve it, I will start tomorrow – will power goes done. Also being too tried to do something but too early for bed?

Plan activities – swim, chat with friend, home spa moment, few yoga moves, dance, plan a vacation, mediated. Something fun to do

Self talk

It’s clear to me I can either continue snack at night the way I do or I can have weight I am happy with. I don’t like it but it’s true. What do I really want?

Food fixes hunger but not stressful day or bad mood. Maybe for second or two but as soon as eating is over negative feelings come back

affirmations

I am content with the meals I eat in the day

I keep myself busy after dinner

I have no need for snacks at night

I don’t eat once I feel comfortably satisfied. Being too full is not feeling I enjoy

Few I took from Irish motivational speaker
"Every day I do simple things that make me feel better"
“Every day I make small changes to build a healthy body and healthy mind”
“I always feel good. As a result, my body feels good and I radiate good feelings.”
“I am enough and I take actions each day to create health and fulfilment”.

@piglet1979, how awful for the kids and parents! Hope it all works out.

Yes, snacking is a problem for me right now. Maybe because it’s cold and I’m sitting in front of the fireplace and a cookie just seems like a good idea. I like the idea of planning for that snack. I will try the hot chocolate because it’s a good source of calcium and takes a while to drink.
It's very hard habit to get rid of! I guess if I get rid of the mindless snacking and have something I planned for before bed it wouldn't bad thing. Hot chocolate on cold day is lovely end of day

It was kind of scary. Even as our coach was walking away the other coach was yelling and trying to get at our coach. The team is standing behind our coach who is normally a really quit guy and a really good coach. We are most likely not playing our game next week as we play right after the team we played Saturday. There are talks that we will just go do something fun as a team to avoid running into that team again. The kids don't even want to go to the game because of this other coach. In all my years of watching and playing sports I have never seen a coach like this before.

This is not acceptable, I have never seen or heard such behaviour! He is not fit to work with children (or adults even! Hope everyone feels better soon

I am struggling with this! Years ago, when I first lost weight, I would have a half cup of fruit as dessert. And that was the last planned thing to eat at night. I usually did pineapple because that’s my favorite! So it was a treat. Then if I was still hungry later in the evening, I would try drinking water. If that didn’t work, I would just go to bed. Some nights I was going to bed at 8/8:30 because I was trying to train myself to not eat anything else after that fruit. It was HARD! And now, sometimes I can’t just go to bed because my son has basketball practice from 8-9pm or my daughter had indoor hockey practice until 8:30. But I think I will try to plan fruit that I enjoy as my last planned thing to eat and drink water afterwards.

I like your “quit tomorrow”. So many time it’s “I’ll get back on track tomorrow”. But that small change in mindset can go a long way!

I was thinking about that but I think I enjoy having a snack later. If we have family dinner at 6 in reality my diners are proper meal and I don't need to top most of the time (but I feel like it) so leaving the cup of fruit for later could work for me. By this time the urge to snack on food is gone and it's just mild ready for something little feeling. Lets see how it goes for me.

I realized today that the sunrise will soon be before 8 am again! I am so happy that the days are starting to get longer again! I am thinking that with a 8 am sunrise, it ought to be light enough outside to go for a run at 7:30 am - before work!
we bought a house with north west facing garden last year. After full year of trying to sell and buy and over 93 houses viewed we bought house we love but unfortunately we had to make some compromises adn I did not get my south facing garden. I was told from our neighbours once the spring comes and the longer days we get sun in the garden from west all evening. The Sunset in Ireland in the summer is 10 pm, I will be very happy if we get the sun. At the moment sunset is about 5 and sometimes it feels darker earlier and sunrise is 8:30. Looking forward to longer days and waiting to see if my garden gets some sun at the back!

Woohoo - I put my phone aside for today’s workout and feel like I got so much more out of it! I’ll admit I often try to multitask. So I’m often checking checking my phone during workouts to see emails or look for better ADR times for my upcoming Disney trip or texting friends/coworkers or checking weather or something! My balance was better because I more focused. I tried ever move without modifying for at least one rep. I really pushed myself and it felt good!

My woohoo is that I lost another 1.5 pounds this past week. So I am down about 3 pounds so far in 2 weeks. I am feeling a bit better today but I am congested and have a cough so I am going to take it easy this week. I don't want to over do it and then end up really sick for several days. DD is back in school today. Yay for no fever all day yesterday. DH seems to be fine today but he was in bed all day yesterday. DS still going strong and has no signs of getting sick yet.

We had basketball practice last night and I got to talk to our coach more. He still needs to talk to the head of our cities league and that should happen today. We did hear that there have been several complaints against this other coach. We even talked to another team in our city (we practice at the same time) and they had issues with this team as well. I did find out that the last straw from our coach was when the other coach pushed one of our players as he was asking a player that got hurt if he was ok. Our coach said something to there coach about keeping his hands off of our players and that is when everything started. We will have more info today, bu this other coach needs to not be coaching. It is all volunteer work and I know for at least our city we are always needing more coaches. Not sure if this was the case in this city or not but either way he needs to kicked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!