New Years Eve on the Dream and weather this time of year

4DisneyAddicts

Mouseketeer
I am part of a group of families going on the upcoming New Years, double dip Castaway Cay Dream cruise in a couple of weeks. We have all traveled DCL together several times, but usually in spring.
I searched all over and cant find many details about the New Years cruises.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on special activities on board for the holiday? Our kids are between 12 and 20.

Also, I expect the weather to be cooler this time of year. If you have been this time of year, did you feel you needed warmer clothes? I am packing some long pants and layers, since we will be at WDW the few days before. Just wondering if I should leave the summery, tropical clothing at home.

On the other ships, they move the formal night so it coincides with NYE. I imagine some guests on Dream will dress up for the occasion. As for special activities, they usually give special gifts in the room - a box of chocolates, a Mickey head in chocolate and a lithograph - plus NYE hats, and they hold a deck party for the countdown, with free drinks.

I am part of a group of families going on the upcoming New Years, double dip Castaway Cay Dream cruise in a couple of weeks. We have all traveled DCL together several times, but usually in spring.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on special activities on board for the holiday? Our kids are between 12 and 20.

Also, I expect the weather to be cooler this time of year. If you have been this time of year, did you feel you needed warmer clothes? I am packing some long pants and layers, since we will be at WDW the few days before. Just wondering if I should leave the summery, tropical clothing at home.

As far as the summer clothes, I would watch the weather online for Disney.
We are in South Florida and in can go wither way in Orlando.
We have been there many times in the "winter" and when mid-day comes and the sun is beating down it can be hot.
We went one year(before internet and easy weather checking) and I didn't bring the kids any shorts, packed all long sleeves and it was so warm we had to go buy them shorts and T's.
Sometimes, you just need a lightweight jacket in the morning and then afternoon you can take it off.
We have been there where we froze our butts off all day long. I love the cooler temps.

Can’t speak to the NYE activities but I can help a little with weather. We live right here and i’ve posted before the the fronts really influence the weather this time of year. Expect cooler days if the front comes from the north and the opposite when it is from the south. It can go from lows in the 40’s to highs in the 80’s in a few days. So far this year the temp swings have not been too dramatic. Expect that range on property and maybe a slight bit warmer once on the ship and sailing. But check the weather predictions about 10 days out and adjust accordingly. Have fun!

My sister just got off the dream and in all their pictures, they were wearing light jackets. She said the weather wasn’t cold, just too cool for shorts and tee shirts. They thought the ocean was too cold to swim in on castaway cay.

Check the weather before you go, it will change often. It will only be cold if we have a cold front roll through. I went on a Disney Christmas cruise two years ago and the weather was hot, had no problem swimming and wore short sleeves the entire time. I'm from Florida and get cold easily. There is a cold front here right now, it was in the 50s last night. The ship can be cold no matter what, so it's always good to have a sweater on hand if you get chilly easily. Have fun, NYE on the ship seems like an awesome experience.

We are in Orlando and it was 46 at our house last night. High of 68 today.

That would be a little cold for me to be on the beach and in the water.

This is from the Fantasy last year. It may give a sense of what to expect on New Year's Eve. https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...bbean-cruise-port-canaveral-december-30-2017/

Check the weather before you leave, pack a light jacket to be safe. Are you hitting other ports besides Castaway Cay? We have done several cruises in January, and have always had good weather (upper 70's). We swim, we play in the sand and run around in shorts and tank tops. We usually wear shorts and a light jacket at night. Now that being said - it's usually -25 here where I live in January, so anything about 50 feels warm to us :)

We’ll be there with you! It’s our first NYE on a cruise ship, so I do not have any insights.

Does anyone have other thoughts about a NYE cruise on the Dream? Two fireworks?

Does anyone have other thoughts about a NYE cruise on the Dream? Two fireworks?

I have no inside information, but do not be surprised if the Pirates Nights fireworks are moved to NYE, not "two fireworks"
That said, I hope you get two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!