New York Marathon 2020....coming to you Nov 7, 2021!

View attachment 476962

i was already in 3 weeks ago via virtual entry, but here is my 2nd confirmation... 50th anniversary race, but only 49th running... and no, not because of 9/11

Congratulations! And yes, I remember the 2012 cancellation due to Superstorm Sandy. My first marathon (2012 Richmond, one week after NYC) was swamped with 1000+ last minute entrants from people looking for another race after NYC was canceled. I remember chatting with a bunch of them in the corrals. The Richmond organizers were caught completely off guard and didn't have enough medals at the finish. They ended up having to mail out several hundred medals afterwards.

Boo I didn't get in either! Tough year for the lottery. At least now I can start plotting my races for the year knowing for sure I'm not in this one.

I didn’t get in either. It’s a long term goal for me, so not worried that this isn’t the year.

It's hard to imagine an event with 50,000 people going on as planned. But November is so far away, so there's definitely a chance. It's gonna be a tough one, though. If you're planning to book flights and/or a hotel, I'd advise travel insurance (although I'm hearing that travel insurance may not cover COVID-related cancellations)

After 4 years of the lottery I got in with the virtual marathon . As sad as it makes me I can’t imagine any big races happening this year. I honestly wish they would go ahead and cancel so people aren’t spending money on hotel/travel that might not be refunded.

After 4 years of the lottery I got in with the virtual marathon . As sad as it makes me I can’t imagine any big races happening this year. I honestly wish they would go ahead and cancel so people aren’t spending money on hotel/travel that might not be refunded.

I wouldn't expect them to make an announcement until September the earliest. Maybe if Boston cancels early, they'll consider canceling too, but I'm not even sure about that.
NYRR (the organization that runs the marathon) currently has a half scheduled for May 19th that they haven't canceled. They're gonna wait until the latest they possibly can to cancel things. It's just the way they work.

(ETA: When I say "a half", I don't mean a small thing ... the Brooklyn Half is their second largest event of the year, with over 25,000 runners ... so really not super likely to happen, but they haven't canceled yet.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect them to make an announcement until September the earliest. Maybe if Boston cancels early, they'll consider canceling too, but I'm not even sure about that.
NYRR (the organization that runs the marathon) currently has a half scheduled for May 19th that they haven't canceled. They're gonna wait until the latest they possibly can to cancel things. It's just the way they work.

(ETA: When I say "a half", I don't mean a small thing ... the Brooklyn Half is their second largest event of the year, with over 25,000 runners ... so really not super likely to happen, but they haven't canceled yet.)
I know. I think that’s just wrong. During a time of financial struggles holding off until the last minute is sad.

NYRR canceled all races through June 30th today. I got into the NYCM through the lottery, first time ever. I know races that they are canceling now, they are offering refunds but I really hope if they have to cancel the marathon, they will offer a deferral. I can't imagine I'd be lucky enough to get in through the lottery twice. :(

NYRR canceled all races through June 30th today. I got into the NYCM through the lottery, first time ever. I know races that they are canceling now, they are offering refunds but I really hope if they have to cancel the marathon, they will offer a deferral. I can't imagine I'd be lucky enough to get in through the lottery twice. :(

My guess is that you'll be given the option of either refund or guaranteed (but pay again) entry for next year. That's what they did with the Brooklyn Half.

I pray they don't cancel this race - I know I'm being selfish, but this is the 50th anniversary and it would mean so much for New York after all of this hitting them so hard. I want to be safe, and I want to stay healthy so it does worry me, but I also don't want us to sit home for the rest of our lives because of some stupid virus that is virulent but so are others.

The past couple years they have done a NY Virtual Marathon. Sign up I believe has been in July, and only 500 slots or so have been available. You sign up, and then have to run a full marathon the on your own the same weekend as the NY Marathon. You then submit the proof through Strava that you ran. This gets you into the race the following year.

Signing up for it was much like signing up for a rD race a couple years ago when you had to be on right when registration opened. My wife and I were each on a computer the day the 2019 one opened up and both stepped through the registration at the same time. We were both lucky enough to be confirmed.

We trained through late summer and early fall, and ran our marathon on our local greenway the day after Halloween.

We signed up a couple weeks ago with our guaranteed entry for 2020.
Thank you. Good to know.

My guess is that you'll be given the option of either refund or guaranteed (but pay again) entry for next year. That's what they did with the Brooklyn Half.
I just got the email. Part of NYRR and awaiting information about the race credits for guaranteed entry as well.

When the marathon canceled in 2012, runners were given a three year deferral window. I hope that precedent stands.

Happy for everyone who got in! I didn’t but at least I have a time qualifier under my belt. Guess we’ll just have to go to NY for fun rather than under a pretense :) might try again in 5 years tho :P
If you're planning to be there for the Marathon, why not consider volunteering? It's actually really neat being part of it, if you're not running it. I've volunteered with some and it is worthwhile for sure.

starting to worry about this...now that Boston Marathon is cancelled ... though Boston was rescheduled for Sep 14th, I think, so maybe our November race still goes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!