New York Marathon 2020....coming to you Nov 7, 2021!

If you're planning to be there for the Marathon, why not consider volunteering? It's actually really neat being part of it, if you're not running it. I've volunteered with some and it is worthwhile for sure.

Wasn't planning on being in NY specifically during that time period (even pre-COVID), but if I were, that would be an amazing idea.

starting to worry about this...now that Boston Marathon is cancelled ... though Boston was rescheduled for Sep 14th, I think, so maybe our November race still goes

Yeah. Gotta start training next month, and it will certainly make it a harder sell to train through summer for an iffy outcome.

I am with you there! Fortunately, most training plans start being heavier about two months prior to race day so that gives NYRR until end of August to announce something. If they cancel, I would love to see the refund plus free virtual race with swag that Boston offers. It does not seem to be the way they work though.

I am with you there! Fortunately, most training plans start being heavier about two months prior to race day so that gives NYRR until end of August to announce something. If they cancel, I would love to see the refund plus free virtual race with swag that Boston offers. It does not seem to be the way they work though.

So back in 2012, the race was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy. I was also signed up then (so batting 1.000 when it comes to NY and problems!). We got a refund.

There’s no way this race is happening. I have no inside info but the writing is on the wall. I only hope that we’re offered a multi-year deferral option like 2012 registrants.

There’s no way this race is happening. I have no inside info but the writing is on the wall. I only hope that we’re offered a multi-year deferral option like 2012 registrants.
well, thanks for the optimism. sigh....I don't mean offense, I just hope you are way wrong.

After careful deliberation, we write to inform you that the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon has been canceled.

All participants who were registered for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon will be contacted directly by July 15 regarding their cancellation resolution options. You will have the choice of one of the following fiveresolution options:
  • A full refund of your entry fee
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2021 Marathon
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2022 Marathon
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2023 Marathon
  • Donate the value of your entry fee to support NYRR’s free youth and community programs
Once the resolution process begins, runners will have 30 days to select their resolution.

Those are very nice options! I am actually happy about it, dragging the uncertainty would have been cruel.

After careful deliberation, we write to inform you that the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon has been canceled.

All participants who were registered for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon will be contacted directly by July 15 regarding their cancellation resolution options. You will have the choice of one of the following fiveresolution options:
  • A full refund of your entry fee
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2021 Marathon
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2022 Marathon
  • A guaranteed complimentary entry for the 2023 Marathon
  • Donate the value of your entry fee to support NYRR’s free youth and community programs
Once the resolution process begins, runners will have 30 days to select their resolution.

Those are very nice options! I am actually happy about it, dragging the uncertainty would have been cruel.
my biggest disappointment about this is, well not running it this year of course, but also because it won't be the 50th anniversary of it next year - it will be the 51st - I know, seems like a stupid numerical thing, but I imagine the 50th would have been super cool and and would have had an awesome medal. Maybe the Virtual Marathon that they will be having in its place will let us get a medal.

my biggest disappointment about this is, well not running it this year of course, but also because it won't be the 50th anniversary of it next year - it will be the 51st - I know, seems like a stupid numerical thing, but I imagine the 50th would have been super cool and and would have had an awesome medal. Maybe the Virtual Marathon that they will be having in its place will let us get a medal.

Technically this year would have been 51st and next year 52nd (2012 was also cancelled). It seems like they still intend to celebrate 2021 as the 50th running of the race.

Technically this year would have been 51st and next year 52nd (2012 was also cancelled). It seems like they still intend to celebrate 2021 as the 50th running of the race.
I gotta double check the numbers...something is not adding up

Last edited:
No, actually the race started in 1970, so this year would have been 50th running, but since Sandy storm canceled the race it was gonna be the 49th running but they were calling it the 50th anniversary. Next year will also be the actual 49th running, but the 51st anniversary of the race.
Ummm... if you include 1970 as race 1, race 10 would have been 1979, and continuing on - I believe @SarahDisney would be correct that this year would have been race 51 (if no races canceled).
Although this sometimes becomes confusing to me, so I could be wrong. 😁

Ummm... if you include 1970 as race 1, race 10 would have been 1979, and continuing on - I believe @SarahDisney would be correct that this year would have been race 51 (if no races canceled).
Right, so technically this year would have been the 50th RUNNING of the race - not the 50th anniversary of the start. Got it now.

Right, so technically this year would have been the 50th RUNNING of the race - not the 50th anniversary of the start. Got it now.
Yeah, the ‘running’ vs ‘anniversary’ of races gets confusing to me. I try and think of an ‘anniversary’ of a race as anniversary=one race, not anniversary=one year. 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter