New York Marathon 2020....coming to you Nov 7, 2021!

Yeah, I got pretty confused about this one too until one of my friends corrected me a few weeks ago. So technically 2019 was the 50th anniversary of the race (but only the 49th marathon), but they didn't do anything special, so I'm thinking they want to go by number of races.
Knowing NYRR, they want to milk 50th for every dime they can, so I'm assuming next year will have lots of 50th fanfare and special merchandise.

Yeah, I got pretty confused about this one too until one of my friends corrected me a few weeks ago. So technically 2019 was the 50th anniversary of the race (but only the 49th marathon), but they didn't do anything special, so I'm thinking they want to go by number of races.
Knowing NYRR, they want to milk 50th for every dime they can, so I'm assuming next year will have lots of 50th fanfare and special merchandise.
which is one reason I wanted to run this one....I run for Bling

I guess different race organizations will have different numbering approaches. Some of them did not cancel their event, they “converted it to virtual”. Just to add confusion to the running world 😜

Out of curiosity, when NYRR offered a virtual version of their cancelled races, did they ship the real medals? If so, there could not be a 50th virtual in 2020 and another 50th in 2021 (?).

I am hesitating between deferring to 2022 or 2023 anyway. I do not want to relive the stress of 2020 in terms of go/no go for traveling or racing. Plus it sceals a long term commitment to being fit to run a Marathon 😁

Out of curiosity, when NYRR offered a virtual version of their cancelled races, did they ship the real medals? If so, there could not be a 50th virtual in 2020 and another 50th in 2021 (?).

Hmm. They canceled a half in March, but only a few days before, so they gave out shirts and medals for that (I don't think they shipped them, though, you could just pick them up in person). I think for the half they canceled in May they didn't send anything out.
They did say on their website that there won't be medals or shirts for the race. Which is probably why they canceled so early - didn't want to order medals and have them sitting around.

Speaking of cancellations, did anyone receive the email with how to make the selection for reimbursement, deferral or donation? Not me.

Speaking of cancellations, did anyone receive the email with how to make the selection for reimbursement, deferral or donation? Not me.
NYRR will connect directly with runners registered for the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon by July 15 with details regarding the process and timeline for selecting a resolution. Runners who gained entry through a charity or tour operator should reach out beginning July 1 to that organization for the options available to them.

per their site....hopefully that will start soon. Says by 15th we get notice.

I got the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon Resolution Options email.

I am a bit puzzled with this last piece:
* If you select complimentary entry for a future marathon (option 2), you will participate in a future marathon selection process in 2021 to choose the year for your complimentary entry (either 2021, 2022, or 2023). You may not be guaranteed your preferred year due to potential limitations to future field sizes.

Has anyone tried to select option 2 yet? Do they ask what is our preferred year or not at all?

I got the 2020 TCS New York City Marathon Resolution Options email.

I am a bit puzzled with this last piece:
* If you select complimentary entry for a future marathon (option 2), you will participate in a future marathon selection process in 2021 to choose the year for your complimentary entry (either 2021, 2022, or 2023). You may not be guaranteed your preferred year due to potential limitations to future field sizes.

Has anyone tried to select option 2 yet? Do they ask what is our preferred year or not at all?

I just choose Option 2. At this point, you do not get to pick a year. That will come in early 2021 apparently.

From what I am reading, they did this in case New York City tells them they have to run with a smaller field next year. For example, if they can only run with a 30K field and 35K pick to run in 2021, some of those runners will be pushed out to 2022 and maybe 2023. How this will be determined remains to be seen. Maybe another lottery type system.

I can understand so long as no new runners are in next year's race before any 2020 deferments are taken care of. If there are only say 30K runners allowed next year and close to 30K choose 2021, then no lottery for the masses should occur next year. That would make me really unhappy. I did notice in the email that there will be no automatic qualifiers in 2021, so it does appear that they are already going down the path of prioritizing 2020 runners.

I just choose Option 2. At this point, you do not get to pick a year. That will come in early 2021 apparently.

From what I am reading, they did this in case New York City tells them they have to run with a smaller field next year. For example, if they can only run with a 30K field and 35K pick to run in 2021, some of those runners will be pushed out to 2022 and maybe 2023. How this will be determined remains to be seen. Maybe another lottery type system.

I can understand so long as no new runners are in next year's race before any 2020 deferments are taken care of. If there are only say 30K runners allowed next year and close to 30K choose 2021, then no lottery for the masses should occur next year. That would make me really unhappy. I did notice in the email that there will be no automatic qualifiers in 2021, so it does appear that they are already going down the path of prioritizing 2020 runners.
Ok, thanks. That is what I had figured. I want 2023 so it should not be a problem, as long as we can eventually specify our preferences.

For 2021, there is the Virtual option announced recently. That adds 1200 guaranteed entry.

Folks who ran this virtually may want to log into their accounts and make sure that their completed race was registered. I just happened to think to check up on it a couple of weeks ago and found out that my Strava run wasn’t recognized despite using all the settings they specified. The good news is that they were great about getting it fixed when I contacted them, but that’ll probably be easier to do now than when the medal packages start shipping out.

can someone confirm or deny that if you did the 2019 virtual marathon that gave you guaranteed entry into the 50th anniversary run in 2020 (which was postponed), we are now likely screwed out of running the 50th anniversary, if it occurs in 2021, because we'll be in some lottery that may move our guaranteed entry to as far as 2023.....but the people that did virtual marathon (the guaranteed entry virtual) in 2020, are guaranteed entry to the 2021 race?! so we came before but we wont necessarily get to do the 50th race because our guaranteed entry is now not for the next race but for one of the next 3 years?!! sigh seems very unfair

edit:nyrr virtual site people are saying that actually everyone is basically on some lottery now for 2021,2022 and 2023....so even people with non-virtual guaranteed entries from previous year

Last edited:
can someone confirm or deny that if you did the 2019 virtual marathon that gave you guaranteed entry into the 50th anniversary run in 2020 (which was postponed), we are now likely screwed out of running the 50th anniversary, if it occurs in 2021, because we'll be in some lottery that may move our guaranteed entry to as far as 2023.....but the people that did virtual marathon (the guaranteed entry virtual) in 2020, are guaranteed entry to the 2021 race?! so we came before but we wont necessarily get to do the 50th race because our guaranteed entry is now not for the next race but for one of the next 3 years?!! sigh seems very unfair

edit:nyrr virtual site people are saying that actually everyone is basically on some lottery now for 2021,2022 and 2023....so even people with non-virtual guaranteed entries from previous year

From everything I've seen (a bunch of my friends had guaranteed entry for 2020, so I've seen most of the emails that were sent out), anyone who had entry to 2020 (through any method - virtual, 9+1, time qualifier, lottery, charity, anything else that I'm forgetting) who chose to defer will get guaranteed entry to either 2021, 2022, or 2023, but no way of knowing which one. So no way to guarantee the 50th.

From everything I've seen (a bunch of my friends had guaranteed entry for 2020, so I've seen most of the emails that were sent out), anyone who had entry to 2020 (through any method - virtual, 9+1, time qualifier, lottery, charity, anything else that I'm forgetting) who chose to defer will get guaranteed entry to either 2021, 2022, or 2023, but no way of knowing which one. So no way to guarantee the 50th.
sigh...yeah, which really sucks. I know in light of the situation lots of other things suck more, but on a personal, selfish level, this suck a lot to likely not get the 50th spot, which I initially had - to be fair, they should have moved everyone from 2020 to 2021 (if it occurs) and anyone that wanted to defer to different year would be allowed and hence even open up a spot for new people to be added ... if the race even is at full strength, which is may very well be cut by a lot if it occurs in 2021.

Correct, I who did guaranteed entry 2020 virtual have 2021, 22 , or 23. No details further yet though.

I am also of the opinion that if a full field is run next year that everyone that was guaranteed in 2020 should have the right to choose to run in 2021. Chances are there will be people who still are not comfortable being in big groups, some people who do not want to come from international destinations, etc. Let those people use the deferral option to 2022/2023. It will be completely unfair if anyone is allowed into the 2021 race who was not scheduled to run in 2021.

If we get to a point where NYC says only a reduced field of 30K can run, then put everyone who wishes to run from 2020 into a lottery for those spots. I would go so far as to send out an additional survey asking 2020 runners to rank their preferences of what year they wish to run. I think it would surely make their job easier if they get 35K out of 50K 2020 runners express a wish to run in 2021 with the rest wishing to run in 2022 or 2023.

All that being said, from everything I am reading, it appears that most of the US population that wants to be vaccinated will be by the end of the summer. This gives me some hope that they will allow a full field to run in 2021. I would not be surprised to see a requirement that you show proof of vaccination at bib pickup, or proof of a negative test for those that might choose not to get vaccinated. I would expect to see some news shortly after the new year since the lottery usually happens in February.

I am also of the opinion that if a full field is run next year that everyone that was guaranteed in 2020 should have the right to choose to run in 2021. Chances are there will be people who still are not comfortable being in big groups, some people who do not want to come from international destinations, etc. Let those people use the deferral option to 2022/2023. It will be completely unfair if anyone is allowed into the 2021 race who was not scheduled to run in 2021.

If we get to a point where NYC says only a reduced field of 30K can run, then put everyone who wishes to run from 2020 into a lottery for those spots. I would go so far as to send out an additional survey asking 2020 runners to rank their preferences of what year they wish to run. I think it would surely make their job easier if they get 35K out of 50K 2020 runners express a wish to run in 2021 with the rest wishing to run in 2022 or 2023.

All that being said, from everything I am reading, it appears that most of the US population that wants to be vaccinated will be by the end of the summer. This gives me some hope that they will allow a full field to run in 2021. I would not be surprised to see a requirement that you show proof of vaccination at bib pickup, or proof of a negative test for those that might choose not to get vaccinated. I would expect to see some news shortly after the new year since the lottery usually happens in February.
The problem is how long can they wait to see if they can have a full field. I certainly expect some changes to the lottery process for 2021 given the circumstances. Planning for these world major events happens a year out. This is also supposed to be the 50th anniversary which would mean they likely have some special things planned. If there are delays or problems with vaccine rollout that could hinder the fall race calendar.

The problem is how long can they wait to see if they can have a full field. I certainly expect some changes to the lottery process for 2021 given the circumstances. Planning for these world major events happens a year out. This is also supposed to be the 50th anniversary which would mean they likely have some special things planned. If there are delays or problems with vaccine rollout that could hinder the fall race calendar.

Very true on the vaccine rollout. However, I am sure they can delay any type of lottery or decisions a month or two if need be. Waiting until March or April to announce the process really would not affect the average runner. Still plenty of time for people to make plans. I think we will have a good sense of how vaccines are going by the end of the first quarter 2021.

In the end, I think there should be no lottery at all for new entries for whatever the 2021 field size is. The 2021 field should first be filled with whoever was scheduled to run in 2020 and wants to run in 2021. If the city stipulates that the field for 2021 needs to be smaller than what it was in 2020, then throw all the 2020 people into a lottery for whatever the size of the 2021 field is.

I have a quick question regarding the resolution choices for future marathon if you have a guaranteed entry...

The email says:
“The process is not first-come, first-served and your choices, once submitted, are final.”

I made my choices but it seems like I can still edit them. Is there a submit button that I missed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!