New Zealand AbD meets

For anyone still on the fence about NZ, seven of the twelve departures are now waitlist only.
We moved the deposit from our October Egypt to the March 14th NZ ABD. My first 2 choices of departure dates were sold out and I didn't want to wait much longer to book. Hard to get too excited this far in advance, but I am planning on reading the LOTR trilogy because we will definitely visit Hobbiton before the ABD. Also Milford Sound after.

We are also planning on either Milford Sound or an overnight at Doubtful Sound after the ABD. If you stay an extra night, are you responsible for your own transport to the airport?
As long as you stay at the same hotel ABD will should take you to the airport when you leave. On our Japan ABD last year they took us from Tokyo Disney to our hotel in Tokyo (we were spending another few days there before we headed home). They are usually good about transfers to and from the airport for pre and post days.

We are also planning on either Milford Sound or an overnight at Doubtful Sound after the ABD. If you stay an extra night, are you responsible for your own transport to the airport?
If you book the extra night through ABD (at the ABD hotel) then you still get transfers. If you book an extra night yourself at the ABD hotel, then sometimes they'll still transport you. It really seems to change from trip to trip and location to location. If you leave the ABD hotel, you're pretty much on your own.
As long as you stay at the same hotel ABD will should take you to the airport when you leave. On our Japan ABD last year they took us from Tokyo Disney to our hotel in Tokyo (we were spending another few days there before we headed home). They are usually good about transfers to and from the airport for pre and post days.
It really, really depends on the trip, the location, etc. Sometimes they are better than others. For our Rhone river cruise, I booked the ABD hotel myself for the pre-day before the cruise, and they would not pick me up at the train station (which was an option for this trip) and would not let me take the bus from the ABD hotel to the ship. So it really, REALLY depends.

Sayhello

If you book the extra night through ABD (at the ABD hotel) then you still get transfers. If you book an extra night yourself at the ABD hotel, then sometimes they'll still transport you. It really seems to change from trip to trip and location to location. If you leave the ABD hotel, you're pretty much on your own
Not sure if this is a factor - it may also depend on how many pre & post nights AbD has included in their contracts with the hotels. the CM told me that can vary from adventure to adventure, anywhere between 1-3 pre-nights available.

On another AbD, I am looking at three pre-nights due to when flights would arrive. When I inquired with AbD- they told me their contract only allowed for two pre-nights through AbD, If I book the two pre-nights with AbD and the third pre-night on my own, I would still get the AbD arrival meet and transfers to the hotel.

I did not ask if I’d get that service if booking all three pre-nights on my own.

Interesting that transport is so variable. Thanks all for the responses. This trip is so far off but the anticipation is definitely building...

Interesting that transport is so variable. Thanks all for the responses. This trip is so far off but the anticipation is definitely building...
I have found it to be pretty much the *most* variable of all of ABD's policies.

Sayhello

We moved the deposit from our October Egypt to the March 14th NZ ABD. My first 2 choices of departure dates were sold out and I didn't want to wait much longer to book. Hard to get too excited this far in advance, but I am planning on reading the LOTR trilogy because we will definitely visit Hobbiton before the ABD. Also Milford Sound after.
Funny, we also ended up with 3/14/22 because our first two choices (the February departures) were full.

For those on late 2021 / 2022 trips, how are you purchasing travel insurance? I am finding a lot companies won't issue policies for anything beyond a year from now. I have never purchased ABD insurance before -- is this my best choice at this time?

For those on late 2021 / 2022 trips, how are you purchasing travel insurance? I am finding a lot companies won't issue policies for anything beyond a year from now. I have never purchased ABD insurance before -- is this my best choice at this time?
I went with the AbD insurance.

We were really lucky and got our travel insurer to make an exception to the one year rule and transfer the insurance we had purchased for Greece this year to New Zealand 2022. They originally denied our request but we appealed and they approved it, but it was largely because they denied our request after it was too late for us to get the pre-existing condition waiver on a new policy (I had emphasized when I called to make the request that a pre-existing condition waiver was important for us). We had to make an additional payment, but it was a better deal for us overall.

I have 2 OYO insurance credits, I'd use them only for OYO trips. If ABD, I want to use ABD Insurance because it's fully refundable if it cancels if COVID is still an issue.

we just used abd

All in the name of trip research :-) -

For those who would be comfortable going to the movie theatres and have a Regal/Edwards theatre not too far away, Regal theatres are reopening August 21. Regal will be showing various classic films for $5 per movie the first two weeks theatres are open, one group the first week and another group the second week. During week 2, The films include the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 😍

It’s not clear on their website if all theatres will show all movies, so check your local theatres for LOTR screenings.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/regal-reopening-movies

All in the name of trip research :-) -

For those who would be comfortable going to the movie theatres and have a Regal/Edwards theatre not too far away, Regal theatres are reopening August 21. Regal will be showing various classic films for $5 per movie the first two weeks theatres are open, one group the first week and another group the second week. During week 2, The films include the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 😍

It’s not clear on their website if all theatres will show all movies, so check your local theatres for LOTR screenings.

https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/regal-reopening-movies
While this is very cool, somehow I don't think three 3.5 plus hour-long movies is a good choice for a first trip back to the movie theater! :)

Sayhello

While this is very cool, somehow I don't think three 3.5 plus hour-long movies is a good choice for a first trip back to the movie theater! :)

Sayhello
Yeah maybe not - would depend on how limited their seating Really is and the show times. Maybe only see one of them, as the big screen experience is so much better. Though I don’t think I will have the option of deciding whether to go or not as movie theatres are not yet open here and I don’t think they will be in a couple of weeks.

Yeah maybe not - would depend on how limited their seating Really is and the show times. Maybe only see one of them, as the big screen experience is so much better. Though I don’t think I will have the option of deciding whether to go or not as movie theatres are not yet open here and I don’t think they will be in a couple of weeks.
:) Same here. Our Governor just tested positive for COVID-19, so heaven knows what that will do to policy here, but our cases are on the rise, so I don't really expect movie theatres to be open here, either.

But yes! There really *IS* something about seeing Lord of the Rings on the big screen, especially if you are planning a trip to New Zealand!! The scenery is *SO* breathtaking!

Sayhello

I love the Lord of the Rings movies!! Sadly I'm in CA and we are nowhere near having movie theaters open. DH and I had a weekly movie night so we've really missed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter