• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie... and advice please

Sazuburns

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone

My name is Sarah, and I am a Disneyholic.

We will soon be going on our first trip to Disneyworld since we had children and since dh became disabled, and obviously our situation has changed somewhat.

Our party will consist of me (able bodied chief cook and bottle washer), disabled husband (uses wheelchair when lots of walking is involved - which means pretty much all the time at Disney!), elder son (aged 4, able bodied but slightly dyspraxic), younger son (will be 2 years just after we return home, still needs to be in the buggy a lot, and needs a morning nap).

DH is able to self propel his wheelchair a fair bit, but will need my help some of the time, which is where the fun and games start, as I only have the usual single pair of hands, so I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully attach a buggy to a wheelchair (either side by side or tandem)?

On top of this, I am very concerned about the state of hired car seats (having heard horror stories from friends about badly fitting seats, no instructions, unhelpful staff), so I'm considering taking my own for the boys (cos I love a challenge!!!).

Any help and advice gladly received.

Thanks

My family is in a similar situation, and this is what we do. We went to WDW 5 times last year, so I know this works. I also know that my active-duty military (in shape) husband would never plan to push a stroller AND wheelchair. Just what will your family do when you hurt your back? Pushing the stroller all day is quite enough.

1 - put DH in an ECV. I like to rent from Randy's Mobility. The rates were far better than Care and Walker, and the equip. is new. Park ECV's leave much to be desired. Randy's requires you be there in person for drop-off and pick-up, but if your dh hasn't used an ECV or disassembled one, this is a good thing. It eliminates the guess work.

2 - rent a double stroller to prevent a tired and whiny 4 yr. old and for crowd control. Imagine yourself with one in a stroller and one on the loose without the help of your dh while you're in a crowd of 25,000 leaving the park after Illuminations. We wouldn't consider making a 4 yr. old hoof it around the parks. What's more, we don't have the melt-downs you'll see from overly tired kids, because we don't expect kids to keep up with adults.

That is a really helpful reply - thanks!

When ds2 was younger, it was much easier as I would put him in a sling and if ds1 got tired he would sit on dh's lap in the wheelchair (which I would then push). I suppose it will get easier again when they are older, but this is probably the trickiest time, logistically.

I'll look into hiring an ECV from Randy's - we had considered getting a park one, but were put off by the high prices. Randy's seems much more reasonable.

hi and welcome to disABILITIES :wave2:
It sounds like you already have the number for Randy's, but in case you don't, here is information about the places DIS posters report renting wheelchairs and scooters (ecvs) from:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

An ecv is a wise choice. Even if your DH can push the wheelchair himself for a while, once he gets tired, you would have your hands full. Even though Florida is in general quite flat, of small hills have been built into the parks that you don't notice until you are pushing something up them. I think you will all be much happier and enjoy your trip more if you follow travelitis' advice.
In addition to the things that travelitis mentioned, the ecvs from the parks can be in short supply. Because of your situation, you don't want to take a chance that they are all rented out when you arrive at the parks. Also, by renting from one of the off-site places, he will have one to use at your resort and other places you might go, like Downtown Disney.
One other thing I wanted to point out; you mentioned that your oldest DS used to ride in dad's lap in the wheelchair when he was smaller. He might expect to do that in the ecv (since he did in the wheelchair), but that can be very dangerous. We have seen ecvs go out of control (even if the child is sitting nicely) because they are in the way of the driver's view or hands while driving. Depending on your child, you might want to discuss this with him beforehand so he knows. I believe all of the rental places have you sign something to agree that only one person will ride on the ecv.

As for the car seats, you do take your chances if you hire one with the car. It may turn out just fine, it may not. At least with having your own, you know what to expect. You might be able to put the car seats in a large laundry bag to make them easier to carry. I'd suggest you post the car seat question on the Family Board, if you haven't already. That's where I have seen the most questions about car seats.

Sue has an excellent point about saftey depending on your child. I've been putting a kid on my lap (not the whole time - just as needed) on an ECV for 8 years. I've not had a problem with my kids grabbing for the steering, because we've made it crystal clear they must never do that. The first time one did that would be the last time they rode. Sometimes, however, it's been a necessity because the oldest 2 and dad are on a thrill ride, and I had to go to another ride or restroom with the little one. If a child is too tall to see over their head, obstructing your view, that's a real safety hazzard.

As far as signing something saying only one will ride, I can state with certainty that I never have. I've even told Randy's and Walker that at some points I might have a small child on my lap. All they were concerned with was weight, and they told me we were well beneath the weight limit. Neither of them cared in the least and went so far as to tell me that was fine. Perhaps I didn't sign a waiver because the only way we were going to hit the weight limit was if my dh jumped on my lap. I could've put all 3 kids on last time and been just a hair below it. Of course, I'd NEVER put anyone on with me except one too little to walk safely beside me. A pre-schooler who won't grab for the controls is safer on the lap than walking beside, imho.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter