Newbie! Help with TT choice!

keylime359

Mouseketeer
My parents stayed at the Fort this summer and I went to visit for a few days and now I want my own! Since a desiel pusher is not in the cards I have to make due with my Honda Pilot. I know I can tow 3550 lbs and am limlited. I can handle a Jayco feather sport 197 a zoom or a R vision trail cruiser. Any thoughts? A pop up is out because we have 2 little dogs. Also tips on how to convince hubby would be great as well! Thanks!

I've had both a Jayco and an R Vision TT...I'd go with the Jayco....the R Vision was not as well made.

Post a link to each trailer and let us look at them

The problem you have is not convincing the "hubby", it's staying safe. Tow ratings generally are based on a single passenger of the vehicle at 150 pounds. I don't know about you, but I passed 150 in junior high.

So, deduct every pound you put in the Pilot over 150. That's passengers, luggage and assorted junk. Now, add the weight of anything you put in the trailer above it's "dry" (read that bare with no options) weight. You got A/C, add 150 pounds. You want to take a couple of cans of soup, add a pound. You get the ideal.

Now, once you are in the area of the TT you want, remember for safety consider your capacity at 80%. You say you have 3550, but everything I read with a quick Google says 3500 on 2WD and 4500 on 4WD. So, if you have a 2WD with 3500 means you have a safe capacity of 2800. Add a few hundred pounds to the trailer and deduct a few hundred pounds for the contents of your Pilot and you are at 2000 or less.

I've probably said it a hundred times, Woe is the camper who went out and purchased a camper without reviewing what their tow vehicle weight ratings really were. The deal you find on a camper can quickly fade when you find out you need a new tow vehicle to move it!

While a salesman may tell you it's fine, remember what his job is. It's to sell you a TT. It's up to you as an adult to understand that the time to find out you wanted too much trailer is not when you need to make an emergency stop towing it.

After looking at the specs on the jayco you may want to go down to the 165. The empty weight on the 197 is very close to what you can tow total. You don't want to over work your pilot.

Tim5055 explained it very well. I have been into TTers for years. Yes, your Pilot is very very limited. You can have a pop-up and your dogs at the Fort as long as you don't leave them alone in the camper. The only trailer I would consider with a v-6 tv is a popup or a 17 ft Cassita. The Cassita is a cute little hard shell molded fiberglass camper. They pull very well with a v-6 tv. I have a 30 ft TT and we do love it but it takes a lot of gas to pull it. Most rv rigs get 7-10 mpg, no matter what it is. A pilot pulling a pop-up or a Cassita should get in the teens. If you need more room than a Cassita has, use a nice cabin tent for extra people, remember it is camping and its all fun. Check out cassitatrailers.com. A new deluxe 17 ft is around $15,000. They are only sold at the factory near Dallas, Tx. I would search rvtrader.com for a good used one closer to your home. When I retire in about 11 years, I plan to buy a used Cassita and pull it with midsized suv like yours and the wife and I will tour the country, saving the big rig for when the rest of the family goes with us (Fort Wilderness trips!) . Yes, I am a big fan of the cassita, I love efficiency and value.

Are you a family of two??

Then check out www.tab-rv.com

Also check out the blog in my signature.

Tabs are rated at 1929 fully loaded. Most weigh in around 1725 Dry. (In T@B terms, dry is the weight it is when it leaves the factory with the options. Each T@B is weighed as it leaves the factory floor and the weight is marked on the outside of the trailer). No trailer brakes required. They have excellent surge brakes.

Also check out http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/tabtrailers/

I agree with gatordad, pilot is holding you back. (owner of 2000 Ford Excursion)

You guys are awsome! The very reason I came here was to get the scoop without a dealer thinking of his wallet at my expense. I do have a ressie for a cabin at Halloween to see if Hubby likes the "feel" although he is pretty agreeable as long as I don't keep him in the parks all day. We go up to Disney alot and I was really taken with the friendlyness of everyone staying in the park.
I agree the Pilot is holding me back, but I think I found a solution. There is a place near me that rents C class and A Class motorhomes. It's not cruise america, it's a couple. They have all maintence records and they are round trip only. For $850.-1000 for a week it is a good trial run to see if we will want to make the big leap!
My daughter loves those teardrops, but with 2 adults one child and 2 furbabies that might be a tight squeeze!
Again, thank you for your thoughts and suggestions and I have weighed each response and decided to hold off. After all, it's not like they only sell them once a year! See ya at the Fort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter