Newbie here...tent sites?

VTGirlinNC

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are Annual passholders and come to the world 4 times a year, always staying in Bonnet Creek. This will be our first "disney resort" experience, and we have decided to tent camp. Are the tent sites scattered across the property, or are they contained to a certain loop? Thank you!

There are 2 specified tent loops. 1500 & 2000. 1500 is smaller and closer to the main recreation area and 2000 is bigger and further from the recreation. With a couple short cuts WDW has made it is a doable walk though.

Welcome to Camping at WDW, VTGirlinNC! :welcome: :disrocks:

Tent pads are also provided in the Preferred loops (100-300) and Full loops (1600-1900). They cost a little more but they offer different locations inside the Fort. The Full loops are back in the quiet, more secluded part of the Fort. Preferred loops are up close to Bay Lake which we like for the short walk and then boat ride to MK.

Good luck with your plans. :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

We just stayed in the 2000 loop and had a great time. Our site was in the back of the loop near the comfort station and there was an easy shortcut to walk to the trading post/sing along/pool. We did rent a golf cart one night and had a blast, so if it is in your budget, go for it!!! You really have to watch your food though because the wildlife is brave. We had something chew through a plastic tote to eat our chips and our donuts were gone in the time it took for my husband to walk across to the bathroom and back. There was plenty of room for 2 tents and a screen room, hammock etc. It was a lot of fun and would do it again ( but next time I hope to have my class C RV I have been begging for) have a great time!!!!

What would be best with 2 kids 5 and 9? My wife is on a cruise and I thought it would a great idea to take the kids camping by myself :rotfl:

What loop with just tents and easy walk to trading post and bus stop? Would 1500 be best?

1500 is definitely easier to get to all the activities but it is really small and crowded. I requested it and after seeing it I was glad we didn’t get it. I liked the space and privacy we had in the 2000 loop and really, the shortcut over the bridge and through the 900 loop isn’t that long. Since the 1500 loop is so small and in high demand it is very difficult to get so I hear.

Agreed with the others about the back of 2000. If you can't get 1500, being near the shortcut through 900 is really the best spot in 2000. There's still a comfort station back there, and the walk to the buses isn't too bad. If you tried to take the bus to the Meadows from 2000, you'd have to take two buses!

Do all campsite have atleast electricity so I can pump up airmattress? We just have tent or pop up site.

We usually stay on a tent/pop-up site. There are electric hook ups, water, cable, and wifi on them. The only amenity they don't have is sewer hook up. Don't forget to bring a power strip, with outdoor rated extension cord, so you can plug in multiple items inside your tent - phone chargers, fan, etc.
Both tent loops are nice. Loop 1500 is across from The Meadows (pool, store, campfire) and Loop 2000 has huge, spread out sites. Advantages to both, we've enjoyed both.

Do all campsite have atleast electricity so I can pump up airmattress? We just have tent or pop up site.

Yes, there are at least 2 plugs at the electrical box on your site. I bring 2 cords and a power strip for each (you will be surprised at the number of items you'll want plugged in at the same time, you will need multi-taps). 1 cord for outside, fan, cooking griddle, toaster, fan, hot pot, rope lights, etc. at the table and 1 I keep in the tent for phone charging, fan, DVD player, game system charging, etc. The one I keep outside I wrap in a freezer bag with rubberband and protect from rain when not using and the other I keep in the tent. No moving cords around all day.

Yes, there are at least 2 plugs at the electrical box on your site. I bring 2 cords and a power strip for each (you will be surprised at the number of items you'll want plugged in at the same time, you will need multi-taps). 1 cord for outside, fan, cooking griddle, toaster, fan, hot pot, rope lights, etc. at the table and 1 I keep in the tent for phone charging, fan, DVD player, game system charging, etc. The one I keep outside I wrap in a freezer bag with rubberband and protect from rain when not using and the other I keep in the tent. No moving cords around all day.

I have our first camping vacation set for next month and am starting to gather what I need. I have a pretty good basic list from reading here. Thanks to everyone for their great advice.

DH and I are still "debating" the need for a small tv. DH believes tvs and camping are antithetical.
But just in case .... what do I need in the way of cable connection? Is a basic coax cable sufficient or do you need some type of modem or set top box?

Also, we requested the 1500 loop for convenience but just noticed some comments regarding crowds and noise. I was wondering if the tent loops tend to have a lot of empty sites nowadays since the throwaways have caught on. I would think that should have cut down on crowds.

When we were there in February 2000 loop was completely full on the weekend but there were a lot open during the week. ( maybe 1/4 of them open) and we bought a cheap TV for the trip with a 50ft coaxial that everyone recommended and it was never even unpacked. There was just no need for it ( and my family missed the mid season premiere of the walking dead!! That’s saying a lot)

When we were there in February 2000 loop was completely full on the weekend but there were a lot open during the week. ( maybe 1/4 of them open) and we bought a cheap TV for the trip with a 50ft coaxial that everyone recommended and it was never even unpacked. There was just no need for it ( and my family missed the mid season premiere of the walking dead!! That’s saying a lot)

Thanks.
I guess I will give in on the tv issue. We have a couple old school small tvs but would have to buy a 50ft coax which probably isn't worth bothering with for how little use it would get.

bloomcruisers, if you have an older tube style tv to use at the Fort, I think you will need to check out a box from the Meadow Trading Post (for free) to convert the digital signal to analog for the older style tv's. Nearly all flat screen tv's take the digital signal but older tv's still need the box.

This used to be an issue for folks but not as much now. We have very little time to watch tv anyway when we are at the Fort.

Also we stayed in 1500 earlier this month which is where we like to stay when we have a Tent site (although lately we've done Preferred sites mostly). Whatever you might hear on 1500, 2000 is more likely to be five times worse in terms of noise and crowds. No question about it. My suggestion is to A) call the reservation line and ask them to make a note of your request for loop 1500, B) get to the Fort early in the morning you arrive and go into the lobby even if you did early checkin and ask politely for 1500 again, and C) tell them you are willing to wait for a 1500 site to become available that day if someone is checking out and you can get it.

I've stayed in 2000 when I've had to but sure don't ask for it (but some folks do - different strokes for different folks).

Bama Ed

bloomcruisers, if you have an older tube style tv to use at the Fort, I think you will need to check out a box from the Meadow Trading Post (for free) to convert the digital signal to analog for the older style tv's. Nearly all flat screen tv's take the digital signal but older tv's still need the box.

This used to be an issue for folks but not as much now. We have very little time to watch tv anyway when we are at the Fort.

Also we stayed in 1500 earlier this month which is where we like to stay when we have a Tent site (although lately we've done Preferred sites mostly). Whatever you might hear on 1500, 2000 is more likely to be five times worse in terms of noise and crowds. No question about it. My suggestion is to A) call the reservation line and ask them to make a note of your request for loop 1500, B) get to the Fort early in the morning you arrive and go into the lobby even if you did early checkin and ask politely for 1500 again, and C) tell them you are willing to wait for a 1500 site to become available that day if someone is checking out and you can get it.

I've stayed in 2000 when I've had to but sure don't ask for it (but some folks do - different strokes for different folks).

Bama Ed
Thanks Ed.
I had planned to go to check in when we arrive because I need to drop off some bikes so they aren’t sticking out the back of the van in the parking lot all day. I assume there’s somewhere there we can lock them until we get a site assigned. So I will do my best to get the smaller loop.
I’ll also call ahead to confirm our loop request and will ask about the tv box in case we do decide to bring it. Though it sounds like you’re in the same camp as my DH regarding TVs and camping.

Thanks Ed.
I had planned to go to check in when we arrive because I need to drop off some bikes so they aren’t sticking out the back of the van in the parking lot all day. I assume there’s somewhere there we can lock them until we get a site assigned. So I will do my best to get the smaller loop.
I’ll also call ahead to confirm our loop request and will ask about the tv box in case we do decide to bring it. Though it sounds like you’re in the same camp as my DH regarding TVs and camping.

Well, I'm not opposed to the idea. I did a stay at the Fort in April 2013 during the Master's Golf Tournament and my most pleasant memories of that trip were sitting outside in loop 100 watching the golf on the tv.

Now when I am at my site I am updating the trip report and adding pix, working on my puzzles, or something else. I also like to wander around to the Meadow TP, visit other DIS'sers, look at other setups (think "looping" on my two feet, no golf cart), or visiting the remaining FWRR tracks. We used to use WDW tv to check weather, Disney activities, etc. but now we use the Internet for that.

When I made my only trip to the Fort for Halloween EVER this past October, I did bring my tv to watch college football games on Saturday (including my Alabama Crimson Tide) but bringing it is the exception rather than the rule.

That's all I meant. I'm not rigid about it.

Have a great stay in April.

Ed

DH and I are still "debating" the need for a small tv. DH believes tvs and camping are antithetical.
But just in case .... what do I need in the way of cable connection? Is a basic coax cable sufficient or do you need some type of modem or set top box?

As others have mentioned, you can rent (free) a box from the Meadows if direct cable hook up doesn't work with your TV. That being said, the only time we have ever used our TV at the Fort was to watch the Superbowl in 2017. We have a TV in our pop up camper, and checked out the cable box on our last two week visit. After the first week, even with grandchildren with us, we had not turned on the TV once, so returned the box.

Since I'm an insomniac, and have to have some semblance of familiarity to sleep, I would say only bring one if you are used to watching in bed before going to sleep. Just being in a tent, unless you camp all the time (like us,) may make your brain want to stay awake. Some kind of familiar routine may be helpful in getting good sleep, since Disney is the vacation that fights back. :hyper2:

Our bedtime routine includes DH watching videos on his phone and me reading my Kindle, so a TV is not missed. I sleep much better in our old camper than I do in a resort room, even though their beds may be more physically comfortable. Just something to consider, even if you won't miss actively watching TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter