Newbie Here: Want to rent an RV/Camper and stay at the Fort**HELP**

twocat

80 miles door-to-door to Disney.
Hi Everyone!

I'm a Disney veteran and have stayed at the Cabins but would now like to try staying at a campsite in an RV/Camper that I can rent from an outside company.

Eons ago, I remember a thread that listed the places that rented RVs that would drive them to Disney and get everything set up for you. Do these still exist and does anyone have links/recommendations?

If we do rent, how do I determine what type of campsite I need?

Any and all advice is welcome!

We're former RV'ers and have stayed at The Fort dozens of times in our motor home.

We sold the rig about 18 months ago and by last March we were really missing The Fort.
What to do? What to do? We rented a trailer for a three week stay.

It was a terrific experience. We rented from Wilderness Camper Rentals and they were great to deal with.

The trailer was fairly new, spotlessly clean and fully equipped.

When we pulled in to our site the trailer was all hooked up, the awning was out, the patio mat was down and the lawn chairs were waiting for us.
I sure didn't miss the sweaty couple of hours it always took me to set things up!

We were so pleased with everything that before we left we booked for another three weeks in 2019.

We highly recommend Wilderness Camper Rentals. You can find them here: https://www.wildernesscamperrentals.com/

They're pet friendly and they even supply golf carts if you need one!

Gary Cruise
Kingston, ON Canada

PS - if you like you can read about our trip here: http://carol-anne.ca/2018 March Trip Report.htm

Hi twocat.

WDW has an official relationship with some RV/trailer vendors as listed on their Fort web page here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/campsites-at-fort-wilderness-resort/services-amenities/

Scroll down and see the "RV Rentals" section and choose the "Show More" link.

It appears there are only two (has been as many as three) currently. Not much difference as for being official versus unofficial so my advice would be to find a layout/price point/availability combination among them all that works for you.

Have fun!

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I am dealing with camperrentaladventures.com for my trip next year. I have never rented a trailer before but they have been super nice in answering all my questions and their prices are very reasonable.

I am dealing with camperrentaladventures.com for my trip next year. I have never rented a trailer before but they have been super nice in answering all my questions and their prices are very reasonable

From what I understand, the Disney partner companies, are allowed to set up the rented RV, without you being present, even before check in time. My Email, from my rental company, said they would arrive 11-12am to set up, not needing me there.

Im with CDNCruiser Wilderness Camper Rentals is awesome, we have rented from them multiple times and their campers are always spotless and set up to perfection. All we bring are clothes, food, drinks and our personal items and they supply everything else. There customer service is second to none. We also love the fact that they rent golf carts with the campers at a much better price than Disney. Give them a try you wont be sorry.

Outdoorsy is like an Airbnb for campers. My cousin just had a great experience renting one. They are private owners so reviews and personal communication are key.

As much as we enjoy staying at the Fort, I just don't think it makes sense to rent an RV and stay there compared to staying at a premium Disney resort or staying offsite. I can't see the cost of a Fort site and an RV rental being under $250/night (probably more like $300+/night) and for that price you can easily rent a nearby 4+ bedroom pool home (which I suspect you can probably even find for under $150/night).

As much as we enjoy staying at the Fort, I just don't think it makes sense to rent an RV and stay there compared to staying at a premium Disney resort or staying offsite. I can't see the cost of a Fort site and an RV rental being under $250/night (probably more like $300+/night) and for that price you can easily rent a nearby 4+ bedroom pool home (which I suspect you can probably even find for under $150/night).

The $250-300 per night total (campsite + rental) looks to be about right. Unless you fit in (and want) a standard room at a value or lower-cost moderate resort, however, you aren't going to beat that price anywhere on property. Many deluxe rooms will cost 1.5 to 2x that much. Even a cabin can easily run you $400+. It is almost always the case that higher quality housing can be found at a lower cost off property. If one wants to stay on property, however, and has a family of 5 or more, a trailer rental is a solid option financially, and experientially.

The $250-300 per night total (campsite + rental) looks to be about right. Unless you fit in (and want) a standard room at a value or lower-cost moderate resort, however, you aren't going to beat that price anywhere on property. Many deluxe rooms will cost 1.5 to 2x that much. Even a cabin can easily run you $400+. It is almost always the case that higher quality housing can be found at a lower cost off property. If one wants to stay on property, however, and has a family of 5 or more, a trailer rental is a solid option financially, and experientially.

I agree. It does make sense economically to do this if you have more than 4 people and are wanting more than the values. The Fort allows up to ten people, so this could be a good deal if there are 6-10 and the rented trailer will accommodate everyone.

Greenberg is still around? I knew there was a handful of issues with them. I thought Disney pulled the plug with them as well. I could be slightly wrong but I know there was some serious matters going on.
They are no longer official vendors. it is just....
For more information on RV rentals, be sure to contact the following official vendors:

Luxurious RV Rentals LLC – (800) 561-8538

Meacham’s RV Rental – (941) 224-4939

Greenberg is still around? I knew there was a handful of issues with them. I thought Disney pulled the plug with them as well. I could be slightly wrong but I know there was some serious matters going on.
look them up on youtube they still go to the fort as for venders get your campstite befor 1 or sooner the others rv renters has to waite in till you give them the site number then can get it after 1 greenburng has answer every question i ask the next day some times the same day also the venders switch there trying to get in venders i have no problen with them but thats only my opinion

I agree. It does make sense economically to do this if you have more than 4 people and are wanting more than the values. The Fort allows up to ten people, so this could be a good deal if there are 6-10 and the rented trailer will accommodate everyone.

It just depends what your priorities are; $300/night will likely get you a nearby 3000+ sq ft pool home with 7+ bedrooms / 5+ bathrooms on AirBnb or similar. While I agree that staying on site is fantastic and we often do it, there are arguably better options (I would not want to be sharing even a 40+ foot trailer with 6-10 people (and you'll likely be renting something half that size...))

It breaks my heart not to stay at the Fort. But, I could not make the dollars work the last time we were at WDW and the next trip too. I have 6 of us, girlfriend and a friend going. I tried figuring out if we pulled our RV, rented an RV and book two sites. I was looking at over $500/night or more plus the additional diesel to pull ours to FL. My sister would need to rent an RV too. We have found a VRBO only 2 miles from the WDW entrance and all backroads to get there. It is running us $500/night in Dec 2019 but we are splitting that with my sister's family. With all my kids who are grown we are able to spread out and we will have 5 bathrooms.
We are planning on selling our RV this year. Once I get my first two boys out of college we will buy another that fits our needs (We have double bunks in our current one and that is not needed anymore). Then we will be back at the Fort!
When our kids were little (2 sets of twins) it sure was fun!

It just depends what your priorities are; $300/night will likely get you a nearby 3000+ sq ft pool home with 7+ bedrooms / 5+ bathrooms on AirBnb or similar. While I agree that staying on site is fantastic and we often do it, there are arguably better options (I would not want to be sharing even a 40+ foot trailer with 6-10 people (and you'll likely be renting something half that size...))

I'm inclined to agree with you--I might not want to stay with 7+ other people in a small camper; however, I know lots of people that don't mind doing this at all. We've camped with one family (I grew up with them), and up to four generations have camped in a travel trailer (five adults and two children, plus a dog). They report to us that they enjoy doing this so much.

We have rented from both florida camper rental and Greenberg in the past and have had great experiences every time.

I recently found Outdoorsy.com and booked a Class A for the week after Christmas. Great selection of all sorts of Class A, B & C along with travel trailers and 5th wheels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter