News Round Up 2020

To be fair, I don't actually think Disney had solid plans to develop this plot or really any intention of doing so in the next decade. But I'm sure losing the option hurts, especially as they lose leverage negotiating about any future plans for Shanghai.

The 1/2 day park concept for HK (and Paris at the time of development) was a bad choice, remains a problem, and is a significant part of the park's lukewarm performance. There are limits now in Disney's ability to fix it. Personally I think HK may end up being the first Disney Park to be cut loose at some point in the future if Disney would be willing to take the reputation hit. If not, I'm not sure how they go about solving HK's problems...

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to HK over the years, what are it's problems (excluding the outside issues of Covid and protests)?

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to HK over the years, what are it's problems (excluding the outside issues of Covid and protests)?
The Park has operated at a loss since 2014. I believe 2013 and 2014 were the only years the park operated in the black, though there might be one or two others. It has the unique issue of not meeting attendance goals and at the same time being known for massive lines. Mainly because it never had enough attractions to meet the attendance goals. It was designed as a half day park, built in a rush, and suffers from being outside Mainland China, but inside an increasingly Chinese controlled area.

The Park is in an updating and expansion period obviously, but it will still be the smallest Disney Park globally I believe. There have been several expansions over the years, but it never seems to really make it a full day park, except because of the lines, though at least they have created a few of their own attractions as the place was basically full of clones at opening, though Mystic Manor is obviously well known on its own.

It's a tough spot obviously right now, but it's always been a tough spot. The goal was to create a park in an area that would attract both Chinese consumers and other Asian consumers. That half in/half out appeal to both didn't work as well as expected. The Chinese consumers stayed away because Hong Kong was and is a sore subject for them, and so did non-Hong Kong consumers because, frankly, it's one of the most expensive places to visit. Add that to the execution problems and it's always been a financial laggard.

Maybe an odd question...but what in the world will be happening with the Oscars this year? I'm not sure what the dates are for movies to be nominated.

Is Bad Boys for Life going to win the best picture Oscar if for no other reason than lack of competition?

Netflix or Amazon might win best picture. Certainly it is not going to be a year for great choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!