nextel direct connect in the parks?

Laurabearz

I cant load my bobbin!
Anyone know how well it works? What about the cell phone option?

Thanks bunches

We used our nextels in May at WDW and they worked great (except on monorail, some trouble there). We used them in the parks and resort. My brother direct connected us from Boston while we were at WDW and it sounded like he was down the street. We were very pleased with our nextel service for cell phone usage as well as direct connect.

I agree, direct connect and cell-phone worked fine.

They work well for us as well. I use them instead of the Motorola 2-ways.

Yes, they do work. I've seen them so often I have to make a small, gentle plea here...for those who use direct connect in WDW, please be aware how distracting and, yes, irritating, those constant beeps are to the people around you. If you must have a direct connect conversation, please don't do it on attractions or in restaurants...please show respect for those around you by being mindful of your actions.

hope no one is offended by my bringing this up, it's just that I heard so many nextel beeps on my last trip that it drove me insane.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread! :D

I've always found the Nextel beeps MUCH less annoying than the sound of the two-ways.

Personally, I would never use it inside an attraction, or while eating, except for in an emergency.

I'm not a fan of those beeps either and was hesitant to get the nextel b/c I didn't like the way you could hear both people in the conversation coming thru, kind of like a walkie talkie. My husband sold me on it when he told me you can use it like a phone so that others don't hear you and that is the only way I use it. I use it like a phone but it is progammed so that you still press the direct connect button but only hear it thru the phone speaker, not the whole phone (I don't think I'm explaining this correctly but you get the point).

I also don't like cell phone/direcet connect usuage at attractions or duing eating. It's good for when you are not together at WDW and are trying to meet up or find out where everyone is.

I've got a question for Nextel users. I'm getting one from work and am thinking about switching my wife's phone over to Nextel too. I have unlimited non-nationwide direct connect minutes included in the package. If we are both at WDW with Nextels and use the direct connect feature, would that count as "local" usage since we'd be in the same Nextel service area?

My husband sold me on it when he told me you can use it like a phone so that others don't hear you and that is the only way I use it. I use it like a phone but it is progammed so that you still press the direct connect button but only hear it thru the phone speaker, not the whole phone (I don't think I'm explaining this correctly but you get the point).

Thank you for posting that, I didn't know they could be used that way! Maybe other folks will read your post and use theirs that way too in the parks.

Thanks to both of you for being very classy and thinking about your fellow WDW guests! :) I tip my hat to you :earsgirl:

Geoff_M
direct connect and local usage are two differet options. You should be able to "radio" your wife with direct connect with no minute deuction from your minute plan. This is assuming you have a plan that allows free direct connect.

pintrader,

I think I understand the difference. I will have unlimited "local" direct connect (DC) minutes with the plan. Nation-wide DC will cost $.10/minute per user. For me, that means if I use DC anywhere in Michigan or northwest Ohio to another user in the same area, then there's no charge. But if I'm in Michigan and my wife is in Indiana, there's a charge if I DC with her. My question was basically, if I go to another area other than my "local" area (like Florida) and then DC another user in that SAME area, is it considered "nation-wide" DC or is it "local" because both users are in the same local area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter