Nicest beach to visit?

Discussion in 'Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa' started by jerseygirlmk, Aug 10, 2017.

1. jerseygirlmk

jerseygirlmk Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Where would you recommend heading to the beach for the day? Any recommendations?

2. Brians_myth

Brians_myth Earning My Ears

Hello!

It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a better chance of seeing dolphins and turtles, go to electric beach. You can find it on your phone's GPS. Go to the west end of Oahu. North of Aulani, you'll see a sliver of green along the coast. Zoom in and you should see the location. Waikiki beach has larger grained sand but is good for bar hopping and eating. Waimea Bat Beach Park is gorgeous and is great for lounging around on the sand. Waimanalo beach is wide open with great water for swimming. If you want to see a lot of fish, the paid-entry Hanama bay is the best spot. Hope this helps!

vikequeen, alldiz and jerseygirlmk like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. jerseygirlmk

jerseygirlmk Mouseketeer

Thank you so much! It will be our first time there!

5. Brians_myth

You're welcome! Enjoy the beach and if you see anything good, please share a pic!

jerseygirlmk likes this.
  6. alohamom

alohamom DIS Veteran

If you want turquoise warm water, soft white sand, magnificent views and great parking then go to Kailua and/or Lanikai. The drive over is so scenic too. We have been to all the islands multiple times and been to many many many of the beaches and Kailua is in our top 2. Trust me, this is the beach on Oahu you are looking for. Waimanalo is similar but I know that some of the remote parking spots can leave your car vulnerable to theft.

7. hilarys

hilarys Hilary S

Another vote for Kailua beach. I love the drive over to that side of the island and the views of the lush green hills from the beach are incredible. There are lots of places in Kailua town to pick up a picnic or to go food for a picnic. Kailua beach has parking lots and restrooms which makes it easy to spend the day. The water is calm with rolling waves and we could just bob around for hours - sandy bottom, gentle slope to the beach.

jerseygirlmk likes this.
  8. jerseygirlmk

jerseygirlmk Mouseketeer

Oh Kailua sounds amazing! Thank you! I will be placing it on my itinerary!

9. PetePanMan

PetePanMan DIS Veteran

Can't go wrong with Kailua and Lanikai but I also like North Shore beaches like Waimea Bay

TxRunnerMom and jerseygirlmk like this.
  10. AdamEfimoff

AdamEfimoff DIS Veteran

11. DVCRSheridan

DVCRSheridan Disney Ohana

I second this! Kailua and/or Lanikai are lovely. As is the drive from Aulani over to the Windward side. While over there consider Pillboxes hike if that's something that interests you and check out Cinnamon's for breakfast (preferably on a weekday).

alohamom and jerseygirlmk like this.
  12. jerseygirlmk

jerseygirlmk Mouseketeer

Thank you! I cannot wait to explore!

13. cgattis

cgattis DIS Veteran

I asked this right after my trip but never got an answer;maybe it'll catch someone's eye here...

We passed two beaches driving from Diamond Head up to Hanauma Bay, not too far from Koko Marina area. They looked really pretty from the road, but I can't really ID them in a map. One guide mentioned a beach near that area, but said the snorkeling really wasn't great due to residential runoff. I'm wondering if these beaches are those (it did look like highly residential areas), and even if snorkeling is bad, how would beginner-level surfing be there (in the summer)?

Sorry for the uber-vague info; I really didn't realize we'd be passing that close to the coast on that drive, so I hadn't researched it. TIA for any info!

14. Brians_myth

I know the area that you're talking about but know nothing of the quality there. I typically only drive past it on the way to Makapuu. For what it is worth, the beach always has people there. Many have canopies, so it must be good enough to stay for a while.

jerseygirlmk and cgattis like this.
  15. Amw1064

Amw1064 DIS Veteran

Totally agree. We did Lanikai in 2016 and Kailua this past summer. Loved the drive over as well.

alohamom likes this.