"No Diapers in Disney"

DreamFlightCpt.

Mouseketeer
I'm sure this has been covered before here or elsewhere, but I'm too impatient to search...
New dad as of yesterday, to a beautiful son. I definitely can't wait to take him on a trip to WDW, but my wife and I agreed on a "no diapers in Disney rule." We figure that by the time he is out of diapers he'll be old enough to really experience everything, plus we won't have to lug around diapers and stop and change him throughout the day.

Grandma and grandpa are bonafide Disney fiends and can't wait to take us all on a trip as a family. Of course I'd like this to happen at somepoint, but not as soon as they may want. What's the earliest some of you have taken kids down? There some credence to the guideline my wife and I came up with? Anyone else have similar plans? Or should we just go along with grandma and grandpa?

I'm sure this has been covered before here or elsewhere, but I'm too impatient to search...
New dad as of yesterday, to a beautiful son. I definitely can't wait to take him on a trip to WDW, but my wife and I agreed on a "no diapers in Disney rule." We figure that by the time he is out of diapers he'll be old enough to really experience everything, plus we won't have to lug around diapers and stop and change him throughout the day.

Grandma and grandpa are bonafide Disney fiends and can't wait to take us all on a trip as a family. Of course I'd like this to happen at somepoint, but not as soon as they may want. What's the earliest some of you have taken kids down? There some credence to the guideline my wife and I came up with? Anyone else have similar plans? Or should we just go along with grandma and grandpa?
Congratulations on the birth of your son! Yes, I think there is credence to your plan, for several reasons. A baby's needs can be a challenge to manage at a crowded, busy place like WDW; the travel and crowds could expose him to unwanted germs; during certain months of the year the sun and hot weather could be overwhelming for a baby; the baby definitely will not remember the trip, etc.

That is not to say one should never go to WDW with a baby. Some do and love it. But if your instincs tell you to wait, I recommend following your instincts, and personally, I feel the same way. I took my son on his first Disney trip at age 5, and it was truly magical. He didn't require milk or diapers, or even a stroller. We just went at his pace and had lots of fun and magic.

The only thing that would cause me to say otherwise would be if the sweet grandma & grandpa are very old or have the kind of health issues that might make a Disney trip difficult or impossible for them in a few years. If that were the case, I'd make the family trip for their sake. But if that's not an issue, I recommend visiting smaller, local attractions with baby until he's a little older. The world is a true wonder for babies- even a backyard garden will be a special discovery for them.

Last edited:
Up to you really, we are going for my daughters 1st birthday and already took her to DLR at 4 months old.

Of course everything is baby speed and you need to be okay with that.

This past spring we took out 2 year old and than 6 month old. I needed a disney fix since we just moved back to FL. I honestly didn't find the whole diaper thing all that bad....but than again I have been doing this for almost 3 years now.

I will say the feeding thing of our youngest was a bit more trying to keep on a normal schedule and all. Plus keeping her hydrated. But I will say we are headed back in the winter (as long as my husbands job allows the time off) and hope to have 1 kid out of diapers but no more formula needed and all since she will be 1 in Oct and I can't wait in general to not have to deal with formula.

I am not saying you should go sooner but I will say it isn't as bad as you think. My son LOVED riding Dumbo and meeting mickey and who was only 2.5 when we went. Sure its not the same as going as adults and all but its still just as fun and all.

Go when you want to go. Don't wait for a perfect age, perfect time, perfect situation. Perfect doesn't exist. There will be pros and cons no matter what. Unless you think you will only go once in your life, go when you want and when you can. Life is short. Take the trip.

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

Honestly, each family has to do what's right for them. I'll offer my perspective.

We took our son in May and he was 18 months old. It was honestly so, so easy. He was old enough to enjoy everything. His first character experience was lunch at Garden Grill and I will never, ever forget the huge smile on his face the first time he saw Mickey. We just took everything at his pace. If he wanted to stop and play or look at something, that's what we did. We put him to bed the same time as at home and it worked great. I know he won't remember the trip, but I will remember his sweet little smiling face as he encountered each new experience.

We did a non-Disney trip when he was 8 months old. It wasn't too bad, but we were dealing with baby food, formula, and multiple daily naps. It was easier at 18 months when he could eat regular food and was down to 1 nap per day (which he took in the stroller).

I currently have a trip booked for October 2018, the week before he will turn 3. He's not showing interest in potty training yet, but I plan to work on it with him before then. Honestly, the thought of possibly taking a newly potty trained child to Disney has me a little apprehensive. Diapers in Disney are easy...there are baby changing stations in every restroom. From what I gather, little kids sometimes don't tell you they need to go until it's almost too late.

Congratulations!

Agreed - go with whatever feels right for your family. We went for the first time when our little one was still in diapers (he was a few months over 2). Part of what made us decide to go before he turned three was the fact that kids are free. Yes, both my husband and I had backpacks of gear to lug around the parks - but it was totally worth it. :)

Will this child be your only one? If another comes along in a few years, will you still wait until that one is out of diapers?

I'd say don't let diapers stop you from going, especially with grandparents coming along. Speaking from the grandma point of view, I have many memories of the DGK while they were at disney while still in diapers.

We had a trip, this past spring with our DGS , ages 5 and 1. In Sept, we are going with our DGD, ages 2, 8 12, 18.

Last edited:
Congrats on your son! Boys are so awesome! :love: I agree with "there is no perfect time" comment. All of my boys went well before they were potty trained. Potty training makes it easier, but I love seeing Disney through their eyes. It is so new and fresh. I want to say my favorite age is 4. They can communicate with the characters, go on some more rides, and can handle a bit more. Enjoy your baby!

I'd rather have diapers at Disney then deal with a recently potty trained toddler who has to be taken out of line to pee every hour or two!
This is so true! I waited for a potty trained age and took my daughter and ended buying overpriced outfits because of the accidents, it was challenging because small kids like to wait right when they can't hold it anymore to ask for a bathroom, so even when she was fully potty trained next day I packed some pullups and had a better time. the diapering isn't a big issue with little ones, IMO is more about the feeding schedules, if the baby is on formula or not, to carry around baby food or not, the nap breaks, bringing and baby is easier the smaller they are, toddlers are more work, but doable both ways.

Wow thanks everyone, as always a lot of very different and informative viewpoints on this thread. Grandma and grandpa are recent retirees and have plenty of pep in their step for years to come. there will be plenty of opportunities for DS to go on Disney trips. As I said to my wife before we were married, " if you're a part of this family, you'll be going to Disney world at some point."

Haha I think I'm leaning towards taking him sooner than later since I'll need a fix, I guess we'll see! Looking forward to all the Disney adventures to come with my family.

However, I just thought of something while I was wrapping this up. By the time he's out of diapers, all the current construction should be done or closed to all being done...perhaps it will be worth the wait...

Congrats!

We took our son at 9 weeks old and our daughter at 8 weeks old. Obviously those trips when they were very little they didn't get much out of, but they were easy and portable. My son has also been at several other times between 15 months and 3 1/2 and I think all those were great ages. FWIW, if we were only ever going to go once I would wait until they were older, but I would hate to miss the wide eyed wonderment and unadulterated joy that you experience with younger kids (toddlers and preschoolers).

And to look at it from another angle, Disney is super baby friendly. Sometimes we look at it and say, well where else can you take a baby and all have fun? If you like to travel/vacation, not many places make it as easy to travel with a baby or young child as Disney does. We have done lots of traveling with our little ones and Disney has been by far the easiest.

Last edited:
I know I'm late.
Raised 3 going to Disney.
DS1 since 1 years old.
DS2 since 3 years old.
DD since 4 mos old.

First off, in diapers is WAY easier than newly trained (been there done both).
And I know with first kids you think you have to carry the whole nursery ... you don't.
Even if he is trained and all, you'll still need a stroller, and it can carry your gear.

I get that waiting solves the potty, the construction etc but .....
unless it is a once in a lifetime trip it doesn't matter the stage you are at.

I would plan two styles of trips ....

Trip one the Grandparents want to take you on.
Four adults to helping with one child is heaven at WDW.
Plenty to carry, tag team and assist in all ways.
Adults ride E tickets while adults watch and then switch.
Younger they are better they sleep in stroller and your hours to enjoy parks longer.
Grands will love it, you will love the extra hands and wee one will have fun plus great photos later.

Trip two will be the three of you, solidly potty trained, less burdened.
Time to up some rides and meals.
Also trip to do day breaks, naps, swimming and chilling.
Old enough for great conversation, exclamation, meeting characters etc.

I've been going since it opened at all ages for me and my kids.
Every trip is different and I just don't believe in waiting until a "perfect" time because there is none.
Since it sounds like you will be regulars .............. why wait?

NOTE:
I would never take an infant in summer,
too difficult to keep hydrated and covered.
My 4 mo old trip was Oct.

Congratulations on your new arrival! Don't see diapers as an issue at all. I have a special needs DGS who still needs toileting support so perhaps I'm just more relaxed about the whole thing. Enjoy your little one x

We've taken ours as young as 7 weeks, so obviously we didn't have a no diapers in Disney plan. It def. gets easier once they're older/out of diapers, but that's true in your normal life too. If you guys want to wait, wait, but it's def. doable. We've had babies at 7 weeks, 3 months, 4 months and then basically each year after through 15 now. I think all ages have pros and cons, although I think my favorite ages were 3-5. It's really up to you guys in whatever you're happy to do.

Take this with a grain of salt but I say go as Soon as you are ready. Diapers in parks are so much easier! Just my opinion I've been on 7 family trips with 4 kiddos our easiest trip was the one we had a 12 week old, 4 year old, and 7 year old so far! I think this year's trip will be good bc our youngest has been potty trained a year now so she holds it a long time unless it's after a meal! There is no perfect time for a trip....each stage has its own challenges. My oldest is 17.5 and sometimes he is the hardest! Go when you want don't hold yourself until no diapers because there may be a new reason not to go by then!

I took my son twice before he was fully trained. Now in my situation I had an older child I wanted to get there while she was still little. I haf been wanting to take her for years but life didn't allow it.

The first trip he was 10 months and people suggested I leave him but we wanted him with us plus he was still nursing at night. We went at Thanksgiving and he was happy with the rides and characters and the decorations. The only time diapers were an issue was when he had a messy poop at Crystal Palace. We had one character left and it was the Bear himself so because it was just me and the children he sat in it 3 minutes longer.

He went again at 2. He was pooping in the toilet at this point but that was it. He was in pull-ups. He was afraid of the flushing toilets anyway but it was amazing. He enjoyed it all for free. He also went at 3 and 4. I thought we would go annually but life, as it has a tendency to do, intervened. Career upheaval, music camps, tutors, soccer camp and other stuff. So I say go for it when you desire and can afford it.

We made it back. We are here now. He's 7. No diapers of course and no stroller and it's great. He's also very opinionated so I have on occasion missed the toddler/preschooler. That older child is now a teenager which is a whole other story

Congrats on the birth of your son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!