No Longer Necessary: Mods please delete

Mike D.

Mouseketeer
This has been a less than magical stay at Coronado Springs. Magic bands not being set up right, getting put in Ranchos after requesting online/phone/fax Cabanas, limited Pepper Market menu due to a convention, Siestas Cantina closing early due to cold weather so drink refills all the way at Pepper Market. But last night was over the top. My wife pulled a bag down that we had put on an overhead shelf, and 2 hypodermic needles fell down on her. They are empty, and the actual needles have caps on them so we can't tell if they have been used or not. I called the front desk and told them, and they said they would tell an manager immediately. I expected the manager to call me back, but he still hasn't. It was about 10:30pm when I called, so I thought maybe they wouldn't call the room so late. It's now 8:30am and still no call. Do I call them back? Fo to the front desk in person? Just let it go? I can only imagine if the kids found them before we did.

Go to the front desk and ask for a manager if you want to speak to one, calling gets you to a call center.

They will/should properly dispose of the needles and for me that would be the end of it.

Perhaps a diabetic was in the room before you, who knows.

Go to the front desk. When you call, you are speaking to a call center, not the actual front desk. Tell them you need the needles disposed of properly.

It's pretty easy, clinically, to tell if they've been used...but the less you handle them the better, regardless. Go down to the front desk and speak to the manager on-duty. Your phone call, as the others have pointed out, only went to an offsite call center where it was probably listed in the computer alongside other things like "needs more towels" and "faucet is leaking".

Depending on the syringe size and the needle size, it is likely they were for a diabetic or other medicinal service rather than for recreational drug use.

Depending on the syringe size and the needle size, it is likely they were for a diabetic or other medicinal service rather than for recreational drug use.

Exactly. DH used syringes for years bc of a drug used to mitigate effects from a prolactinoma. Nothing untoward.

OP, try to imagine being a housekeeper and how hard it would be to find things that you only found by pulling a bag down. Please don’t raise any sorts of anything.

And I personally would call housekeeping (that button does get you to the right place, unlike the “front desk” button), not talk to the front desk, but then I like things taken care of quicker.

I would be mad not because the cleaners didn’t find the needles but because when you reported a biohazard you didn’t create they didn’t bother to follow up at all. The needles are probably safe but we have no way of knowing that. Even if it’s just used for diabetes you have no way of knowing if the person who used the needles had any other medical problems that could be on them. The likelihood is low but still there.

I would be mad not because the cleaners didn’t find the needles but because when you reported a biohazard you didn’t create they didn’t bother to follow up at all. The needles are probably safe but we have no way of knowing that. Even if it’s just used for diabetes you have no way of knowing if the person who used the needles had any other medical problems that could be on them. The likelihood is low but still there.

This was the biggest surprise to me. We kept assume someone would call last night. I spoke to the front desk, then the housekeeping supervisor met me in my room. He couldn't apologize enough, and was "mortified" that this happened. I didn't ask for any compensation, but he gave us 6 anytime fast passes and one night's room credit on our account. I think they handled it above expectations once management got involved.

Calling the front desk directs you to a call center, you need to physically go there. You requested Cabanas, but didn't get it - it happens, not everyone can get their request. Although disappointing, none of your other issues should make your stay less than magical.

This has been a less than magical stay at Coronado Springs. Magic bands not being set up right, getting put in Ranchos after requesting online/phone/fax Cabanas, limited Pepper Market menu due to a convention, Siestas Cantina closing early due to cold weather so drink refills all the way at Pepper Market. But last night was over the top. My wife pulled a bag down that we had put on an overhead shelf, and 2 hypodermic needles fell down on her. They are empty, and the actual needles have caps on them so we can't tell if they have been used or not. I called the front desk and told them, and they said they would tell an manager immediately. I expected the manager to call me back, but he still hasn't. It was about 10:30pm when I called, so I thought maybe they wouldn't call the room so late. It's now 8:30am and still no call. Do I call them back? Fo to the front desk in person? Just let it go? I can only imagine if the kids found them before we did.
This was the biggest surprise to me. We kept assume someone would call last night. I spoke to the front desk, then the housekeeping supervisor met me in my room. He couldn't apologize enough, and was "mortified" that this happened. I didn't ask for any compensation, but he gave us 6 anytime fast passes and one night's room credit on our account. I think they handled it above expectations once management got involved.

No need to delete - someone may yet learn from your experience!

I am glad to hear it all worked out for your family - how scary initially though! You can always slide a syringe into a plastic soda bottle without touching any part of it, if you are really really concerned when you encounter a syringe. :)

The problem was that Management With the Power to Do Something had to be contacted, they obviously are not working during those hours. The hotel phone directs itself to a call centre, NOT the front desk of your hotel, so yeah it would take some time to alert a Manager to reach out to you and Do Something.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

OP, I'm glad the issue was resolved to your satisfaction. Unless you'd really like it removed, I'd rather leave this thread up. A big part of what goes on here is learning from each other's experiences, and your story might be helpful to someone weeks or months down the road. Aside from being a fun place to ask questions and talk about Disney, these boards are also a big, searchable (and google-able) database of trip-planning knowledge and experiences. :)

And I'll add my two cents, for others who may be reading...in a case like this where you have an urgent need for housekeeping, the best course of action is to press the housekeeping button on your room phone. This connects directly to the housekeeping department, and usually gets you much faster service than calling the front desk (which, as PPs have mentioned, doesn't actually connect you to the front desk).

If you still feel the resort management needs to be informed about the incident, I'd suggest stopping by the front desk at your convenience, even the next day. That way you can speak directly with a CM.

In a case like this, where it's a potentially dangerous situation, I would have snapped a photo or two, and I would have made sure to speak to a manager. Needles in the room, pills/medications, etc - that should NEVER happen. IMO, housekeeping should be checking closets and drawers when they're cleaning between guests for anything potentially hazardous that's been left behind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!