No more gingerbread house making

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
Don’t bother getting in line to do gingerbread house making. It was replaced by gingerbread cookie decorating which will appear on Navigator as a craft activity. It was from 9am-10:15am in Animator’s on our second sea day. I just got off Fantasy Nov 10 Western Cruise.

Don’t bother getting in line to do gingerbread house making. It was replaced by gingerbread cookie decorating which will appear on Navigator as a craft activity. It was from 9am-10:15am in Animator’s on our second sea day. I just got off Fantasy Nov 10 Western Cruise.
Oh no!

I know this will make some people sad, but honestly for us this sounds better. I always felt SUPER rushed with the gingerbread houses and with younger kids constructing that dang house was HARD. The kids loved the decorating part and not the construction part, so having cookie decorating would be better for our family. Then we also don’t have the argument about breaking it up to eat it before the cruise ends or just tossing it. I’m also happy that it’s one less thing for me to do on embarkation.

It is too bad they couldn’t do both for those that still want to make the house.

We brought green and red icing with piping tips because they only give you white.

We did the cookie decorating and loved it! We wouldn’t have done the gingerbread house because we couldn’t take it home. The kids ate their cookies on the ship and loved them. We got hot chocolate and Daisy even came to visit the tables. It was a highlight for us!

I have to admit the cookie decorating sounds fun! It will be a nice change to have something different to do too.

Do we still need to get tickets to attend? We are going on the Dream in a few weeks.

Do we still need to get tickets to attend? We are going on the Dream in a few weeks.

No tickets needed. I got in line for guest services to get my ticket and someone came around telling those that wanted to do gingerbread house that they were doing cookies instead which would appear on Navigator.

Word of caution here, the app only stated craft time. The paper Navigator was more specific.

We were first in line. It didn’t take long to do and as people left, they setup more cookies and frosting at each place setting. Besides white fronting, there are colored hard candies.

Well I guess all good things come to an end. :( My DW loves to decorate a gingerbread house during our Merrytime cruises. We always bring extra decorating items. She spends several hours after the event in the room decorating and getting the house ready. We then give the gingerbread house to the Cast members so that it does not go to waste. I guess we will get a gingerbread house at Costco and decorate it before our Holidays cruises.:santa:

This is just a bump in the road. we will still have a great time with Mickey and his Friends for our Merrytime Cruises on the Magic in 36 days!!!!
Also Happy 90th Birthday Mickey.......... :cake: :bday: pixiedust:

Well I guess all good things come to an end. :( My DW loves to decorate a gingerbread house during our Merrytime cruises. We always bring extra decorating items. She spends several hours after the event in the room decorating and getting the house ready. We then give the gingerbread house to the Cast members so that it does not go to waste. I guess we will get a gingerbread house at Costco and decorate it before our Holidays cruises.:santa:

This is just a bump in the road. we will still have a great time with Mickey and his Friends for our Merrytime Cruises on the Magic in 36 days!!!!
Also Happy 90th Birthday Mickey.......... :cake: :bday: pixiedust:

Can you get one of the kits and carry it on the ship, along with decorating supplies?

Have a great cruise!

Can you get one of the kits and carry it on the ship, along with decorating supplies?

Have a great cruise!
I don't see why not. It's a pre-packaged item, should be able to be brought onboard. Especially if you bring your own decorating supplies. And you could actually do it at a time that fits with your schedule. You would necessarily have to do it when the "craft event" is happening.

Sounds like a good addition to possible Cruise Meet group events.

We then give the gingerbread house to the Cast members so that it does not go to waste.

Oh man, not to be a debbie downer, but your houses DEFINITELY got thrown into the trash. No way would anyone in their right minds eat a house someone else built with their bare hands in cold and flu season, and the CMs' tiny cabins have no room to keep one for decoration.

Oh man, not to be a debbie downer, but your houses DEFINITELY got thrown into the trash. No way would anyone in their right minds eat a house someone else built with their bare hands in cold and flu season, and the CMs' tiny cabins have no room to keep one for decoration.

Maybe????? But since we were on B2B cruises the Cast member told us she hardly got any because other CMs ate most of it?
And my DW ALWAYS washes her hands thoroughly and lets the CMs know this.

It would be a packing nightmare to bring the gingerbread house kit and decorations with us from the West Coast for the cruise.

Happy 90th birthday to Mickey.......... :mickeyjum :goofy: :donald: :butterfly

@LCoulter DH heard they were doing cookies and went to WM and bought me a small gingerbread house kit to bring with us. I have been dreaming of doing it on the boat for years.

Did they offer it more than once?

Definitely not always true.
During the merrytime cruises we would get donated at least one a cruise, sometimes two or three. They would be kept backstage (and not because our cabins are so small, they’re definitely big enough for some gingerbread lol) by the clock in machine and would all be eaten by the end of the day by a team of around 50...

Maybe you wouldn’t do it, judge away! Maybe once you’re crew and you live off mess food for months on end you lose ‘normal’ peoples food morals...

This is crappy! Have done this with my daughter 3 times and she loved it. She also ate the whole thing before we disembarked. Our next cruise 9 of us planned to do the gingerbread house - six first-time Disney cruisers who have been listening to me talk up the Very Merrytime Cruises. Sorry, but cookie decorating sounds pretty boring. I'd also be concerned at how crowded this will become. So many Christmas activities we've been to have been so crowded that people had to sit on the floor.

Last edited:
Ok.....just got off the Magic this morning (I am sad) and cookie decorating was also onboard instead of the gingerbread houses. We spoke to one of the CM's about this was it was explained to us that as much fun as it was for the guests, it was a nightmare for the cleaning staff. They said literally hundreds of gingerbread houses would be thrown away in the cabin trash during Merrytime cruises as most people could not take them home with them. The candy would get sticky, the houses would crumble and it created a huge headache for the staff to clean up and on top of that if you think about it pretty wasteful. They decided on the gingerbread cookie decorating as it is much neater and they get eaten onboard with not as much waste or clean up of the cabins. I came in late to join my friends and decided to decorate a cookie. Most everyone had left already but it looked like it could accommodate many people. It was in Animator's on our first sea day back to NY from WDW.

Think what you want but I thought the explanation was plausible. Granted it was not as intricate or time consuming as decorating a house but no tickets are needed and seemed like a fun event. My not so creative creation below. I guess you could bring your own supplies if you really wanted to schelp them.

GINGERBREAD MAN.jpg

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter