No more volunteers for DLR races?

These are the accounting gymnastics I spoke about earlier. It doesn't actually cost Disney anything to comp these tickets. In the end if one division "charges" another division for something like this it is just to balance some GLs. It doesn't actually indicate a capital layout. If RunDisney is fake charged for the ticket then they should also be fake credited with every cent the person who got the comped ticket spent while in the park. That means every meal and souvenir they bought.

I have had two comped tickets in my life at WDW and in each occasion Disney made more on me because of it.

On one occasion, during the give a day get a day" promotion, I volunteered a day and got a one day park admission. Because I got that one day park admission I decided to fly down, stay on property, and register for the Inaugural W&D half. That one free ticket, that didn't actually cost Disney anything, got about $1,000 out of me when you count the race, hotel, souvenirs, and meals.

The second was in 2011 when they gave everyone a free ticket to any park if they did the full marathon. I was already going down and had my tickets, hotel, race registrations, and would be eating on property for all but one meal. Because of that promotion I stayed an extra day in a Disney hotel and ate 3 more meals in a Disney park. They made that comped ticket back a few times over.

This is why a good company doesn't nit pick over accounting costs that aren't actually costs. They look at the whole picture and realize giving away a free ticket, that doesn't actually cost anyone anything, ends up generating actual positive revenue because of it. A ticket is really just a mechanism to get a person into the park to really generate revenue.

Unfortunately with financial "gymnastics" that isn't usually how it works. I know they have to give comps a cost and at guest relations it is not gate price but I could see runDisney, Disney Fairytale Weddings, Disney Education, Disney conferences, etc having to have a hit of gate price for all those things since they are not Disney Parks and Resorts.

I wonder if in those costs they include the meals provided to the EXPO volunteers. That would make more sense why they value the food at $10. They had sandwiches, cookies, pasta/potato salad (sorry, I can't remember) and some other stuff. I honestly can't remember as that food made me so sick time and time again, I would wait to eat until after my EXPO shift.

I wonder if in those costs they include the meals provided to the EXPO volunteers. That would make more sense why they value the food at $10. They had sandwiches, cookies, pasta/potato salad (sorry, I can't remember) and some other stuff. I honestly can't remember as that food made me so sick time and time again, I would wait to eat until after my EXPO shift.

Wow, that was at DLR? At WDW (I was stationed at the very last water/powerade station) we just got the runner-food box.

Wow, that was at DLR? At WDW (I was stationed at the very last water/powerade station) we just got the runner-food box.

It believe it had to do with the expo being held in the hotel and catering. Race course volunteers all received runner boxes.

Yes this was at Disneyland. We are talking about tinkerbell races right? I thought Tink was a Disneyland race.

It believe it had to do with the expo being held in the hotel and catering. Race course volunteers all received runner boxes.

Yes, race course volunteers got a box. I personally preferred the box as it didn't make me ill.

So jealous. Sort of. :) The runner boxes peaked at TOT 2013 for me (HUMMUS!!!) and have gone downhill from there for my tastebuds. :)

Yes this was at Disneyland. We are talking about tinkerbell races right? I thought Tink was a Disneyland race.

It's an overall discussion of volunteers at DLR, and from when I was first involved in the thread I thought there was discussion of the future for WDW's volunteers, and IMO it's a valid question to make SURE that things were THAT different between parks/places to volunteer. I volunteered in 2014 and had never once heard of people being fed "real" food, and I've seen expo volunteers carrying the runner boxes (out at WDW), so.... Just making sure.

Yes, race course volunteers got a box. I personally preferred the box as it didn't make me ill.

lol We loved the expo food! It was a nice change from the boxes.

So jealous. Sort of. :) The runner boxes peaked at TOT 2013 for me (HUMMUS!!!) and have gone downhill from there for my tastebuds. :)

It's an overall discussion of volunteers at DLR, and from when I was first involved in the thread I thought there was discussion of the future for WDW's volunteers, and IMO it's a valid question to make SURE that things were THAT different between parks/places to volunteer. I volunteered in 2014 and had never once heard of people being fed "real" food, and I've seen expo volunteers carrying the runner boxes (out at WDW), so.... Just making sure.

My understanding is that the Tink course temps received runner boxes. I think that is because there was no place for them to get food. The expo temps were on their own.

Ah! My mistake. I got swept up by the tink talk since it was the last DLR. But yes, DLR expo volunteers get a lunch break with a full meal.

lol We loved the expo food! It was a nice change from the boxes.

The first time I ate it and got sick, I thought it was due to something else. The next time, my best friend and I both got sick. After that, we just skipped the food. It just didn't agree with our systems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!