No Show Due to Medical Emergency

you are basically a no show for the renter. You paid him, so he has his money...but canceling so close to the vacation doesn't give them enough time to do anything. So...the renter in not required to give you your money back.

Insurance, should be paying you directly to cover for the fact the renter will not be paying you back.

Now, if you did contact the renter.....and he can find a buyer for those points in short notice, or if he can bank them in any way...it actually allows the renter to rent those points twice and get paid twice.
Renter = the person who paid for a DVC member to make a reservation for them.

The OP is a renter, not the owner. The owner is not required to give the renter their money back under the terms put forth by the 3rd party agency that they both used for this transaction.

The OP is a renter, not the owner. The owner is not required to give the renter their money back under the terms put forth by the 3rd party agency that they both used for this transaction.

Nor has OP even hinted at asking for that.

Again, it sounded like the broker said the points were lost even if cancelled so they would not contact the owner. Actually, as owner of the points I'd be bit po' d to learn that. And wouldn't use that broker again if everything occurred as outlined.

Nor has OP even hinted at asking for that.

Again, it sounded like the broker said the points were lost even if cancelled so they would not contact the owner. Actually, as owner of the points I'd be bit po' d to learn that. And wouldn't use that broker again if everything occurred as outlined.
Nor was I implying that the OP expected a refund. I was correcting the PP's language.

But if I were the owner of those points, I would be annoyed that a deal that was "no refunds, no changes, no cancellations" was being ignored by the very party that had written the contract, should the broker contact me, with one day remaining until check in, and ask me to cancel the reservation.

Again, I will point out that ignoring the terms of a contract, no matter how well-intended, negates the contract entirely. The broker did the right thing by sticking to the terms of the agreement. The right thing for them to do is to provide the OP with a letter confirming that there was no refund so that the OP can make their insurance claim.

Lack of control over your own reservation and inability to deal directly with DVC over your own reservation is clearly limiting, but that is the risk that the renter agrees to assume when they rent points.:eek: Renting points is not for those that prefer control over their own vacation plans.

in my example...the renter was the dvc owner

Shame that sometimes we have to defer to the Better Business Bureau for people to do their job properly. Not professional!
Sadly, the BBB isn’t anything except a business group that solicits membership. They have no teeth or anything more than a way for businesses to advertise their affiliation or a forum to help resolve conflicts if the parties are willing. Members get preferential treatment. Non members who get complaints get solicited for membership. You're better off online reviewing with Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Google.

I would say that the proof for the insurance company should be the contract that was signed with the broker, stating that any cancellation would result in no refunds. So, that would show the loss to the renter. If not, I would think documentation from the broker stating that there were no refunds to the renter would be proof for insurance as well.

What happened to the points is really not relevant to the renter in terms of insurance, as long as they did not get the benefit...which in this case they did not. The only issue of the points would have to do with the owner and the broker. Even if the owner was still going to get full pay for the rental, if the cancellation happened before check in day, I would hope that the broker notified the owner.

The issue is, it takes a lot of time to hold for an agent these days. The phone lines have been insanely busy with an average wait time of over 2 hours because of IT issues. So it is understandable why an owner would not want to make that cancellation call the night before and wait for 2 hours... It's an unfortunate event for both sides. I think there is really no "right answer" on what should be the proper steps.

The issue is, it takes a lot of time to hold for an agent these days. The phone lines have been insanely busy with an average wait time of over 2 hours because of IT issues. So it is understandable why an owner would not want to make that cancellation call the night before and wait for 2 hours... It's an unfortunate event for both sides. I think there is really no "right answer" on what should be the proper steps.

Phone in to cancel? That isn't necessary and certainly not a reason for a broker to not let the owner know. Even if that were the only way to cancel it would not be a reason for a broker to not let the owner know.

Phone in to cancel? That isn't necessary and certainly not a reason for a broker to not let the owner know. Even if that were the only way to cancel it would not be a reason for a broker to not let the owner know.

It isn't? Why not? Half the time you get a message saying "stich ate the page" or some other garbage that Disney thinks makes up for the fact that once again their IT shop sucks!

Sadly, the BBB isn’t anything except a business group that solicits membership. They have no teeth or anything more than a way for businesses to advertise their affiliation or a forum to help resolve conflicts if the parties are willing. Members get preferential treatment. Non members who get complaints get solicited for membership. You're better off online reviewing with Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Google.

Off topic But this is poor information as while in the end it does as you say BBB ratings have a lot of weight when it comes to that business being able to advertise on certain sites to getting loans from a bank and more. Your statement is about the same as saying the 3 major credit rating agencies have no bearing on you getting credit as in the end they work in the same way BBB works... If a business wants to know YOUR credit information it pays for it and the reports are based on those who they do business with and report the information to them, and those who try to contact them for information will be solicited for a membership and for that fact years ago you yourself would need to pay to see your credit score... No one takes into account yelp or any other social media site as anyone can post on these sites and no third party is involved as is the case with BBB and Credit agencies. Third party involvement is the reason for the fees as they weed out all the false claims.

Eh I think that here it gets a little mixy. When I was a rent-payer I was a renter. if I were to rent out a reservation I could make a case for me being the one doing the renting out, aka renter. :) DSLRuser's use of renter might have been different from yours or dictionary.com, but I felt that the use was still clear.

It isn't? Why not? Half the time you get a message saying "stich ate the page" or some other garbage that Disney thinks makes up for the fact that once again their IT shop sucks!

For canceling? I haven't had that experience on DVC's pages.

As the owner (renter) I would have wanted to know about the lessee not being able to make it, *just in case* I could have done something with those points. Should I ever be the owner/renter through an agency I would want to be contacted.

Off topic But this is poor information as while in the end it does as you say BBB ratings have a lot of weight when it comes to that business being able to advertise on certain sites to getting loans from a bank and more. Your statement is about the same as saying the 3 major credit rating agencies have no bearing on you getting credit as in the end they work in the same way BBB works... If a business wants to know YOUR credit information it pays for it and the reports are based on those who they do business with and report the information to them, and those who try to contact them for information will be solicited for a membership and for that fact years ago you yourself would need to pay to see your credit score... No one takes into account yelp or any other social media site as anyone can post on these sites and no third party is involved as is the case with BBB and Credit agencies. Third party involvement is the reason for the fees as they weed out all the false claims.

No one consults the BBB before giving a loan, and they are no where close to being on par with a credit reporting agency.

Off topic But this is poor information as while in the end it does as you say BBB ratings have a lot of weight when it comes to that business being able to advertise on certain sites to getting loans from a bank and more. Your statement is about the same as saying the 3 major credit rating agencies have no bearing on you getting credit as in the end they work in the same way BBB works... If a business wants to know YOUR credit information it pays for it and the reports are based on those who they do business with and report the information to them, and those who try to contact them for information will be solicited for a membership and for that fact years ago you yourself would need to pay to see your credit score... No one takes into account yelp or any other social media site as anyone can post on these sites and no third party is involved as is the case with BBB and Credit agencies. Third party involvement is the reason for the fees as they weed out all the false claims.[/
It’s a business club not a consumer group, let alone consumer protection organization. And don’t forget, Yelp filters reviews for yelp member (paying) businesses and contacts businesses with bad reviews to join so it’s taking a page from the same book. But I only worked for the BBB so what do I know.

For canceling? I haven't had that experience on DVC's pages.

As the owner (renter) I would have wanted to know about the lessee not being able to make it, *just in case* I could have done something with those points. Should I ever be the owner/renter through an agency I would want to be contacted.

If you can't get logged in you can't do ANYTHING! "STICH ATE THE PAGE" pretty much means you can't cancel.

If you want to be "contacted" then I think that perhaps you might not be the type to use an agency. Sounds like you want more control than you might have.

Sure, it's awful. But basing a decision on the possibility that someone can't get logged in? Makes as much sense as the bad Disney IT.

FWIW it's for all the issues it's never required me to call in unless it's something like reallocating points or changing all names on a reservation. Cancelling? Yeah, that's the simplest thing.

I don’t understand the point of cancelling. If it is cancelled, the owner still loses those points. Those points are not the same as before even as “holding points.” They are a lot less valuable and useful. Many people cannot travel with that timeframe. With only 60 day booking window, there is no FP+ on premium rides left. So the owner might as well consider those points lost.

Its like an owner renting a Mercedes but someone last minute changed their mind but return a Kia instead. When the owner wants to re-rent those points then it would be a different price.

For the renter, they may get the travel insurance declined because now the insurance company would argue in fact those points in dispute were returned so they are not eligible for double dipping claim.

Therefore I think those points are considered lost and liability should be on the travel insurance company and not owner.

I don’t understand the point of cancelling. If it is cancelled, the owner still loses those points. Those points are not the same as before even as “holding points.” They are a lot less valuable and useful. Many people cannot travel with that timeframe. With only 60 day booking window, there is no FP+ on premium rides left. So the owner might as well consider those points lost.

Its like an owner renting a Mercedes but someone last minute changed their mind but return a Kia instead. When the owner wants to re-rent those points then it would be a different price.

For the renter, they may get the travel insurance declined because now the insurance company would argue in fact those points in dispute were returned so they are not eligible for double dipping claim.

Therefore I think those points are considered lost and liability should be on the travel insurance company and not owner.

But the insurance was for the renter who couldn't take the trip. It's no different than any other vacation insurance - the hotels or airlines don't just sit on the cancellation - they'll sell it if they find someone to fill it and the renter is still covered. Insurance doesn't check to see that the room isn't used or flight isn't filled because they aren't reimbursing the hotelier or airline - it's the person who was going to take the trip and can't get a refund because the cancellation falls outside of the established time frames.

Holding points are not quite as bad as you make them out to be although I know the seem very difficult to use to many people. I've had them and never even come close to losing one. And gotten great rooms with them as cancellations come at all times but especially at the 30 day range.

Nope - it's just throwing the left overs to back to DVC IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!