No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

sturner324

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know why WOC may not be showing on Sept 14? I was going to book my dining package, and it skipped over Thursday, which happened to be the day I had planned for it. I need Friday and Saturday for Fantasmic and fireworks since they only show on weekends.

As a WDW vet, I'm really starting to regret this trip to Disneyland...

Be patient to see if it pops up on the schedule. Sometimes they're slow putting WOC up. If it doesn't you can see the fireworks from Fantasmic, you just can't see the projections.

If you have to skip one, skip the fireworks show. WDW shows you're used to will be much better than DL's old fireworks show.

Considering when you're going I take it you're regretting your trip because ride closures?... I hope you can find stuff to look forward to, if you spend the trip upset about what isn't open or what you're missing or whatever, you'll miss out on the fun that is available. Wait, doesn't Halloween start 9/15? You managed to plan your trip for the very weekend Halloween starts? That's awesome. HMH will be up!

The best guessing at this point is that DCA will be closing early on the 14th to allow them time to install the new Halloween overlays into Carsland and BVS.

Thank you! I know I have to keep things in perspective. I went ahead and booked Carthay WOC for Wednesday night. We fly in that day, so I will likely be worrying about delays... but we should be okay. (Fingers crossed)

I think I was frustrated after finding out Halloweentime doesn't start until Friday (I was hoping it would already been going a few days), but I should be thankful that we aren't missing out on it completely. Just don't know what to expect being there right as it transitions.

And then I saw Thursday blacked out for WOC packages, while it seems to show every other day (including the day after) I worried there would be some private event keeping me from the park. I was just frustrated as it put a kink in my plans. I will have to adjust, but it will be fine.

Dang you, WDW, for making me an overplanner... haha! This is only my second trip to DLR, so I need to adjust my mindset. It doesn't help that I'm the primary planner for another couple's first visit, so I worry too much.

It will be great, and I still can't wait to be there!

Still curious what is going on at DCA that night, though.

DCA is apparently hosting a cast event on the 14th. It will close early; all the dining reservations cut off early.

Does anyone know why WOC may not be showing on Sept 14? I was going to book my dining package, and it skipped over Thursday, which happened to be the day I had planned for it. I need Friday and Saturday for Fantasmic and fireworks since they only show on weekends.

Yes, all restaurants are closing early the 14th and I talked to a couple cast members as well as emailed touring plans and they all said the same thing "cast member event so DCA is closing early, 5pm" That week is going to be rough because rides will already be down due to overlays plus the early closing of DCA plus shortened hours due to "off season" plus Summer of heros ends the 10th of Sept, but Halloween doesn't start until 15th. Plus it will still be busy due to annual passes lifting and such.

It's like the black hole of a week to go to Disneyland :faint:

I feel your pain. After 7 fantastic trips to WDW, the nighttime spectaculars were what we lived for! We may get to the parks late, but if we saw Wishes/F!/Illuminations, everything was better. Now that we've switched our trips to Anaheim the last 4 years (due to travel money), we've determined that DL seems to not "get" that nighttime magic factor from WDW. With F! and fireworks on weekends only (in the offseason), it really stinks when they cancel World of Color .... which seems to be more often than it should be cancelled. And with being in the middle of a city, the wind can cancel fireworks at any time. So you really can't count on DL finale shows. And if you're like me, and it sounds like it, having no finale is a magic killer. Just hitting a ride at 8:45pm and simply walking out to the hotel just doesn't seem right. You NEED that crescendo at the end to make it a perfect day!

When you go to DL, you go for a different reason. It's more about the rides than it is the big finale shows. You will enjoy it, no doubt. Just realize that the "finale" won't always be a part of the magic you experience.

Yes, all restaurants are closing early the 14th and I talked to a couple cast members as well as emailed touring plans and they all said the same thing "cast member event so DCA is closing early, 5pm" That week is going to be rough because rides will already be down due to overlays plus the early closing of DCA plus shortened hours due to "off season" plus Summer of heros ends the 10th of Sept, but Halloween doesn't start until 15th. Plus it will still be busy due to annual passes lifting and such.

Well that's depressing, lol. I went during this time in 2013, and it was perfect. Halloweentime was going on and crowds weren't too bad. I've had this planned for a while since we are cruising after. Oh well... we'll make the best of it. May never come back, but we shall see :-)

Well that's depressing, lol. I went during this time in 2013, and it was perfect. Halloweentime was going on and crowds weren't too bad. I've had this planned for a while since we are cruising after. Oh well... we'll make the best of it. May never come back, but we shall see :-)

Yeah, if I didn't have non refundable plane tickets, I would totally change my trip to the next week! Maybe you can go to Disneyland after the cruise instead of before? Lucky you if you have that option :shamrock:

It's probably the cast member service awards event. It was on September 15 in 2016.

Yeah, if I didn't have non refundable plane tickets, I would totally change my trip to the next week! Maybe you can go to Disneyland after the cruise instead of before? Lucky you if you have that option :shamrock:

Nope! We are flying all the way from Alabama, so we can't change it either.

Another blow to that week: Called to book a River Belle Terrace package for the Fantasmic show on the 15th since who knows if we will get to see WOC now with the closure on Thursday and guess what? RBT is going to close for renovations! So Blue bayou is your only option (unless you want to do on-the-go Hungry bear)

Cast member said they may open the Terrace on River belle for premium seating there at 8 pm, but that is it. Better book your package quick at BB if you want reserved seating on the ground (and not standing) on the 15th show!

Dang black hole week. :badpc:

Another blow to that week: Called to book a River Belle Terrace package for the Fantasmic show on the 15th since who knows if we will get to see WOC now with the closure on Thursday and guess what? RBT is going to close for renovations! So Blue bayou is your only option (unless you want to do on-the-go Hungry bear)

Cast member said they may open the Terrace on River belle for premium seating there at 8 pm, but that is it. Better book your package quick at BB if you want reserved seating on the ground (and not standing) on the 15th show!

Dang black hole week. :badpc:

Thankfully I wanted to book BB anyway, and did that this morning for the 15th. I am excited for the updates Fantasmic, so I'm glad that's taken care of at least!

I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about "black hole week" if our trip was just for my husband and I, but we convinced our friends to come with us and told them how amazing Disneyland is. I just hope I didn't oversell it, haha!

Thankfully I wanted to book BB anyway, and did that this morning for the 15th. I am excited for the updates Fantasmic, so I'm glad that's taken care of at least!

We will be there with you somewhere!
We should rename this thread "black hole week" for sure.

I try to follow this important advice from HydroGuy:

"HydroGuy's High Season/Off Season Tradeoff Rule"

Unfortunately great advice for years past. However there is really no trade off for going in the off season anymore. It used to be ride refurbishments and shorter hours, but less crowds in return. I can accept that. Now it is less hours, less shows, refurbishements, overlays, random early closures, and no let down in crowds. In fact, busier! (July has been soooo nice and slow!)

The new rule should be "just don't go in the off season at all. There is no trade off"

:D Being a little snarky here, I know. A day in Disneyland is better that a day at work. First world problems....

Last edited:
Unfortunately great advice for years past. However there is really no trade off for going in the off season anymore. It used to be ride refurbishments and shorter hours, but less crowds in return. I can accept that. Now it is less hours, less shows, refurbishements, overlays, random early closures, and no let down in crowds. In fact, busier! (July has been soooo nice and slow!)

The new rule should be "just don't go in the off season at all. There is no trade off"

:D Being a little snarky here, I know. A day in Disneyland is better that a day at work. First world problems....

But people keep visiting when they think it's going to be "less busy" and then are upset when all sorts of entertainment or attractions are unavailable. When the parks end up being busy, too, it just exacerbates the problem. I feel badly for once-in-lifetime visitors when this happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter