No WOC 9-14? (Black hole week)

THIS might be the cherry on top for this horror of a week...

I booked Plaza Inn breakfast on Sept. 13 for my birthday at 9:40am. This is my actual birthday and I was telling my wife when we booked this vacation 3 months ago how fun it would be to do that as a special celebration at the end of our trip. Well... wouldn't you believe it, even though I have a confirmed reservation in my plans, Plaza just came up as closed for renovations on Sept. 11 and when you now go to book a reservation, Sep. 11-13 are blocked off. It's only a matter of time before I get the call from Disneyland...
I have it booked for the 12th :(

I booked Plaza Inn breakfast on Sept. 13 for my birthday at 9:40am. This is my actual birthday and I was telling my wife when we booked this vacation 3 months ago how fun it would be to do that as a special celebration at the end of our trip. Well... wouldn't you believe it, even though I have a confirmed reservation in my plans, Plaza just came up as closed for renovations on Sept. 11 and when you now go to book a reservation, Sep. 11-13 are blocked off. It's only a matter of time before I get the call from Disneyland...

I'm so sorry. What a nightmare week for all of us. I send an email to Disney relations trying to outline all the things they decided to put down in a single week and how unfair that was since we pay no less for our tickets. I encourage you to do the same...not that it will do anything for us this year, but maybe help for the future realizing no season is the "off season" anymore and they should plan better and not dump everything off in one week.

I just got the call :-( Luckily I will also be there on the 14th!

I have hotels booked both the "black hole week" and the week before, just in case. Looks like I should go for 9/5 vs 9/12? From what I can see the park closes earlier the first week? I miss the days when early September was a great time to go. I also thought about rescheduling for the first week of December but hotels are either booked or higher priced which make me wonder if that is no longer a good time as well!

I have hotels booked both the "black hole week" and the week before, just in case. Looks like I should go for 9/5 vs 9/12? From what I can see the park closes earlier the first week? I miss the days when early September was a great time to go. I also thought about rescheduling for the first week of December but hotels are either booked or higher priced which make me wonder if that is no longer a good time as well!

Yes, 9/5 would be the best for sure. At least that week doesn't have DCA closing at 5pm (on the 14th) And you have more fun events and show options if you go the 5th since the Summer of Heros ends the 10th.

I just got the call :-( Luckily I will also be there on the 14th!

We will be there from 9/9 so I might book that weekend, but I already booked BB Fantasmic (Sat) and Carthay WOC (Sun) that weekend because that's the best time to not have to worry about where you're viewing the show. 9/13 for Plaza was more about celebrating my birthday.. I think it would be too rushed to do Plaza for breakfast on Saturday and BB for dinner in one day.

Black hole week master list:

*Space Mtn closed Aug 21-Sept 14

*Haunted Mansion closed Aug 28-Sept 14

*Grizzly River unexpectedly down for refurb until???

*Summer of Heros ends Sept 10

*Fantasmic only on weekends.

*River Belle Terrace closed (including F! Packages) Sept 8-TBD

*Possible overlay closures in Cars Land and Bugs Land (new this year, so we don't know for sure) Sept 9ish-14

*Soarin down one theater until October.

*Pixar Parade in DCA closed starting Sept 10

*Monsters, Inc closed Sept 5-21

*Sept 14 early DCA 5 pm closure and no WOC

*Soarin' closed Sept 5 and 6

*Reduced Staff hours through Sept 30

*May be slightly higher crowds than predicted due to Disney cruises in port and recent AP blocks lifting

*Plaza inn closed including Minnie's breakfast Sept 11-13th.

*Smoke Jumpers Grill closed Sept 11-TBD

*Goofy's sky school Aug 21st-TBD

Now, let us go to Disneyland with acceptance that we picked a crappy week, but we can still have fun at what is available! (Please Disney, no more stuff to add to this list :furious:)

Last edited:

Black hole week master list:

*Space Mtn closed Aug 21-Sept 14

*Haunted Mansion closed Aug 28-Sept 14

*Summer of Heros ends Sept 10

*Fantasmic only on weekends.

*River Belle Terrace closed (including F! Packages) Sept 8-TBD

*Possible overlay closures in Cars Land and Bugs Land (new this year, so we don't know for sure) Sept 9ish-14

*Monsters, Inc closed Sept 5-21

*Sept 14 early DCA 5 pm closure and no WOC

*Soarin' closed Sept 5 and 6

*Reduced Staff hours through Sept 30

*May be slightly higher crowds than predicted due to Disney cruises in port and recent AP blocks lifting

*Plaza inn closed including Minnie's breakfast Sept 11-13th.

Now, let us go to Disneyland with acceptance that we picked a crappy week, but we can still have fun at what is available! (Please Disney, no more stuff to add to this list :furious:)

Thanks for the updated list. Sigh.... Just redid ALL of my dining reservations.

the only 2 I questioned are haunted mansion and space. I saw they were closed through the 15th on touring plans. I really hope your right and they are open on Friday!!!!!! its my last day in the park and I will run straight to space that morning

the only 2 I questioned are haunted mansion and space. I saw they were closed through the 15th on touring plans. I really hope your right and they are open on Friday!!!!!! its my last day in the park and I will run straight to space that morning

I'm pretty sure they will be open as that is the day that Halloween time is schedule to start on Sept. 15 (confirmed) and Space and Haunted are the big pieces of that.

I'm pretty sure they will be open as that is the day that Halloween time is schedule to start on Sept. 15 (confirmed) and Space and Haunted are the big pieces of that.

They are closed up to and including the 14th. Meaning the first opened day is the 15th! Halloween season officially starts the 15th and all Halloween overlays and rides will be open that day (found this info on the official Disney blog) Sorry if I confused everyone.

Although I wouldn't mind a soft opening on the 14th....

They are closed up to and including the 14th. Meaning the first opened day is the 15th! Halloween season officially starts the 15th and all Halloween overlays and rides will be open that day (found this info on the official Disney blog) Sorry if I confused everyone.

Im about to jump out of my chair. I was so bummed as its been 10 years since we got to ride those. I know it wont be normal but still glad to hear

so excited now

The Disneyland ride closures site says they re-open on the 16th. Not sure how accurate that is.

Did anyone else notice that the Pixar Play Parade in DCA isn't on the schedule after Sept 10th? Soundsational shows up in DL though. Are they discontinuing that parade too?

Did anyone else notice that the Pixar Play Parade in DCA isn't on the schedule after Sept 10th? Soundsational shows up in DL though. Are they discontinuing that parade too?
It's likely that it should be added to the calendar later. But, if they are doing any kind of food festival for the Halloween season or again for the holiday season the booths go up on the parade route and make it so the parade can't run.

Play parade is moving over to DL as part of the switch of the Boardwalk to Pixar themed. I don't think I had seen a date, but it might be September time frame.

It's not suppose to move until next year.

I wonder if they are taking it out now to refurb? Seems odd.

Sometimes it also takes time for the dates to all show up. DLR is weird like that. The times may pop up later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter