No wonder no one wants dogs!

We took our dog on our recent November trip and she was awesome. We had a tether for her when we were outside and when we went out she stayed in the camper with no issues. She's very laid back and rarely, if ever barks, so we weren't worried about her.....it was other dogs we were concerned about, but we had no issues at all with the many other dogs in our loop.

I wonder if a lot.of this poor behavior is do to people who are new to camping? I'll behaved dogs, rude people. We've been camping on and off for 24 years and across the board, behavior in the campgrounds has gotten worse. Kids and adults cutting through occupied campsites (on guy tried to walk his little dog through our site as we sat there with our dog) , letting their dogs run off leash or letting a child too small to control the dog to actually walk the dog.

We are pretty friendly with the woman who works at the front desk at one of our favorite campgrounds, she said she's noticed a huge change in campers attitudes in the last 5 years or so. And not for the better.

We are pretty friendly with the woman who works at the front desk at one of our favorite campgrounds, she said she's noticed a huge change in campers attitudes in the last 5 years or so. And not for the better.

I wonder what she meant?

I wonder if a lot.of this poor behavior is do to people who are new to camping? I'll behaved dogs, rude people. We've been camping on and off for 24 years and across the board, behavior in the campgrounds has gotten worse. Kids and adults cutting through occupied campsites (on guy tried to walk his little dog through our site as we sat there with our dog) , letting their dogs run off leash or letting a child too small to control the dog to actually walk the dog.

I really do not like it when kids or other campers walk through a campsite that's occupied as a shortcut. It doesn't matter if they are not right next to your camper, they're still inconsiderate.

I really do not like it when kids or other campers walk through a campsite that's occupied as a shortcut. It doesn't matter if they are not right next to your camper, they're still inconsiderate.

Agreed. Friends recently had someone run through their site. Their dog was tied, but jumped up startled and nipped the hand of the person cutting through. Our friends were required to pack up and leave immediatley because that campground had a zero tolerance policy toward unacceptable dog behavior. This is why we were so shocked that the dog that attacked and injured another dog during our October trip was allowed to stay at FW.

There generally seems to ba a lack of adherence to common courtesy rules, such as cutting through sites, aksing before petting a dog, respecting the privacy of others, and cleaning up after yourself. We've had kids ride their bikes through our site, and even crash into our rig. But it doesn't just apply to the youngsters. During our summer trip to Maine, we had a family lug their lawn chairs onto our oceanfront campsite and proceed to enjoy the lovely sunset with their cocktails in hand, lol! Sadly, we have observed similar behaviors in many other settings such as sporting events, cruises, etc.

Guess we're just starting to sound like crabby old people!!!!

Guess we're just starting to sound like crabby old people!!!!

Speak for yourself, late 40's isn't old :tongue:.
That is awful for your friend who's dog was just protecting what he thought of as "his people's space" when he was tied and the children were in the wrong, but sadly lots of dogs are punished for people's poor behavior

We travel a lot. Both in our RV at campsites, as well as traditional Hotels. Every place is different, and we have had positive and negative experiences just about everywhere at one time or another. Sometimes it is people Pets, sometimes it's just people causing the issues. We have had two positive experiences at the Fort, and are looking forward to our 3rd December 2018. We travel with our Bostons, probably the single biggest reason we bought the RV. Hence, the single biggest reason we chose to start doing Disney at the Fort. If Dogs are banned, we certainly will be staying somewhere else. They are our family, just as important as any other family member.

People can ruin vacations, not Pets. One of our Bostons is a barker. However, we know how to control her and keep he from becoming a nuisance. I am always sorry to hear bad experiences regarding pets. Never do I blame the pets, its people to blame and they can be dealt with properly.

Totally get that HailtotheVictors, one of the main reasons that we purchased our RV was to be able to travel with our dog.

Last edited:
Tinkerdorabelle. We have been told that all FW campsites are now dog-friendly and there are no longer pet loops.

We were offered a site change, which we declined (too much effort to take down decorations) then finally told “somebody will ride by to check on it”.
Strangely, later in the day, there was much activity at that site involving various CM’s and even law enforcement. Must be unrelated because the occupants soon rode off, once again leaving their barking dogs to entertain us. Not going to let it put a damper on this trip for one more second, but will follow up,once we return home.
You can be dang sure, next time we come we will specifically request to not be assigned a site near this couple.

I never heard all loops are dog friendly, we were there in the spring and they had signs up keeping dogs out of certain areas, etc. and all loops were not pet friendly. When did this happen? Came on here to plan for next year and great to know. I would have pushed to talk to someone above that CM tho as far as the barking, I never got that kind of attitude there is nothing they can do, they specifically tell you that if your dog is a problem they can have you leave, take their name also.

Last edited:
I never heard all loops are dog friendly, we were there in the spring and they had signs up keeping dogs out of certain areas, etc. and all loops were not pet friendly. When did this happen? Came on here to plan for next year and great to know. I would have pushed to talk to someone above that CM tho as far as the barking, I never got that kind of attitude there is nothing they can do, they specifically tell you that if your dog is a problem they can have you leave, take their name also.

I am not sure when it happened as we had to cancel our April trip, but we were told this upon check-in in October. There are still signs posted in certain areas as dogs are not welcome in most of the common areas, the waterfront, pools, the group camping area and adjacent paths.
We have never had pet rules stated to us verbally. If someone can find language in the pet information sheet about being asked to leave if your pet is unruly, please let me know. (We have disposed of our paperwork.)

Furry friends are welcome to join your family’s camping adventure as long as the following conditions are met.

• All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.
  • Please note that Guests who wish to stay with their pets at The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort will be charged a $5 per-night pet fee.

If they ever do stop allowing pets, I'll be going to Universal. Camping for many us is to be able to bring your pets. Though I do totally get the anger at bad pet owners. We always come back half day also to walk and take care of our dog and spend time with our pets on vacation. This to me looks like it's not only bad pet owners, but Ft. Wilderness workers not doing their job, so I would complain to higher ups. I also would have left a note for the owners. I'm personally very happy to learn all loops pet friendly now.

I called the front desk to complain and the CM told me there was nothing they could do. Seriously, if this is how they would handle persistent barking in one of the hotels, I am now an advocate for no dogs allowed anywhere on property. It has been so bad that we even talked about leaving our pets home and staying in a dog free loop next trip. But, oh wait, ALL of the loops are dog-friendly now aren’t they?
FWIW, we are surrounded by dogs who are well-behaved, but as they say, one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch.
I am disgusted by the lack of response by Disney.

I agree: no dogs at Disney. People shouldn’t have to vacation with other people’s pets. Disney: instead of moving toward dog-friendly hotels, how about returning to human-friendly hotels?

I agree: no dogs at Disney. People shouldn’t have to vacation with other people’s pets. Disney: instead of moving toward dog-friendly hotels, how about returning to human-friendly hotels?
All I can say is the resort being spoken about in this thread already allowed dogs. Regardless of your viewpoint on the matter this was well in place before the new policy. As you don't want to 'vacation with other people's pets' I would advise you to avoid camping at Disney. I would probably suggest not camping in general unless you find a campground that has a no dog policy in place.

Furry friends are welcome to join your family’s camping adventure as long as the following conditions are met.

• All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
  • Guests with pet privileges may take their dogs to play in the off-leash Waggin' Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails. So that our Guests with pets can enjoy ample time at the Walt Disney World theme parks and destinations, day and overnight kennel care is available at Best Friends Pet Care.
  • Pet owners are required to pick up after and properly dispose of their pet's droppings.
  • Pets that interfere with the quality of the Guest experience at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in any away (such as aggression, noise, etc.) or generate a legitimate complaint to management will result in the pet owner being required to discontinue the pet's inappropriate behavior, remove the pet to an off-site kennel, or leave the Resort.
  • Please note that Guests who wish to stay with their pets at The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort will be charged a $5 per-night pet fee.

Thanks! What is the source of this info. Is it handed to campers upon check-in? I will keep it for future reference. (Hopefully will never be needed!)

To others FWIW, I do not advocate banning dogs from The Fort, but I can understand why some would.

Thanks! What is the source of this info. Is it handed to campers upon check-in? I will keep it for future reference. (Hopefully will never be needed!)

To others FWIW, I do not advocate banning dogs from The Fort, but I can understand why some would.
i herad that dogs are alound in all loops is that true

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!