noise in fantasy's connecting rooms?

Charlies_Mommy

Earning My Ears
Hello-
Can anyone advise me? My TA told me you can't hear much from connecting rooms, but my experience at least in hotel rooms is quite the opposite. I just read on a review that the noise is indeed an issue. Can anyone give me some advice based on a recent Fantasy cruise? We are on the 9th deck in a balcony room.
Thanks-

never had a problem with noise from connecting rooms, unless the door was open that is. I'm sure each cruise is different, and each set of passengers is different, but considering how many connecting rooms there are on the ships, if it was a big issue, you would probably be hearing a lot of complaints about it. Now the aft vibration on the Fantasy...........

You will get a lot of different responses to this, with different results. I can tell you that we were in connecting rooms next to my sister's family. We did not hear them through the door, and they told us they could not hear us, even when at times I know we were pretty loud for brief periods.

We actually had trouble getting their attention when we wanted them to open their inner door.

But if you are particularly noise-sensitive you might hear people on either side of you sometimes, not to mention in the hallway, which I will not mention. :rolleyes1

I can't say for sure about the Fantasy, but we had a connecting room on the Wonder. We didn't know that they had changed it to a connecting room during dry dock. You can definitely hear more from the connecting room than you would if there was just a wall. We, personally, will never book a connecting room again. It is entirely up to you, but your TA isn't the one paying for your cruise or the one going on your cruise.

Not noise-sensitive (or I don't think so). My TA told me there are MANY connecting rooms. Figured I would ask here and see what the majority say. Think we will keep the cabin. It is near aft (right where the price break for mid ship happens).

@charles_mommy, I find that the doors are metal and pretty good at keeping out noises from the connecting room. This of course doesn't matter if your neighbors are banging on the floors and walls, or lack common decency..

never had a problem with noise from connecting rooms, unless the door was open that is. I'm sure each cruise is different, and each set of passengers is different, but considering how many connecting rooms there are on the ships, if it was a big issue, you would probably be hearing a lot of complaints about it. Now the aft vibration on the Fantasy...........

Have you cruised since the dry dock? I have and found the aft vibration to be much better than it used to be. Just curious as to how others feel since everyone is differently sensed.

We cruised for the first time this past April. We were on Deck 8. The room was a connecting room, but we never heard a thing. It could all depend on your neighbors, but ours were awesome!

Enjoy your cruise!

We heard nothing in our connecting room on the Fantasy last week. I can't think of any cruises where connecting room noise has been an issue. We did have 1 time, back when smoking was still allowed on verandahs, where we could smell smoke from the room next door (I think they left the verandah door opened and it got sucked in the room...or they just smoked in the room), but no noise issues. ;)

On a side note, I find connecting rooms to be an advantage, as I often use the door handle as another "hook" in the room where I can hang clothes that have been ironed, damp bathing suits, etc...

I can't say for sure about the Fantasy, but we had a connecting room on the Wonder. We didn't know that they had changed it to a connecting room during dry dock. You can definitely hear more from the connecting room than you would if there was just a wall. We, personally, will never book a connecting room again. It is entirely up to you, but your TA isn't the one paying for your cruise or the one going on your cruise.

This was our same experience on the Wonder. We have stayed in a connecting room on the Wonder prior to the refurbishment and never heard anything from the other room so I had no problem booking one again. But on our cruise earlier this month, we were in a connecting room that had been added during the refurb (it wasn't on deck plans before refurb and shows up now) and you could definitely hear through the door. Our neighbors had a small child that was up about 6:30 am every day and started each day screaming right by the door (it seemed), LOL.
But we were able to deal with it since we met them at the Muster Drill and often saw them around the ship. Very nice people and we know they were just dealing with a small child. I just made sure to wear ear plugs on days that I didn't need to get up early :)

But I would definitely say there is a big difference between the original connecting doors and the newer ones on the Wonder.

@charles_mommy, I find that the doors are metal and pretty good at keeping out noises from the connecting room. This of course doesn't matter if your neighbors are banging on the floors and walls, or lack common decency..

Have you cruised since the dry dock? I have and found the aft vibration to be much better than it used to be. Just curious as to how others feel since everyone is differently sensed.
No - we were on in March of this year, so right before.

As others have said, it depends on your neighbors and noise sensitivity. The doors are definitely more noise-canceling than any hotel out there! We've only heard some minor thumps above us, in any stateroom. Rarely anything from the connecting door. The only issue we've had was on our last Fantasy cruise, a younger child screaming/yelling next door. It lasted about 10 minutes, and it was mid-day so I didn't feel the need to call our complain at that point.

In our case, we've had many connecting rooms on many different ships. The only time we heard anything, it was because the neighbor family was LOUD, shouting at each other as their primary mode of communication. Their kids were also running up and down the halls shouting, sitting in the stairs, etc. Every other time, it made no difference. You could have the same kind of problem on the verandah or through the door to the hallway. I would not hesitate to book a connecting room.

The one time we had a connecting room, we could here the man coughing all week, this man could cough!

FWIW, I apparently had a bear in a non-connecting cabin next to mine one cruise because I heard horrid snoring through the walls. Not enough to wake me up, but if I woke up for another reason or they had gone to bed before I had it took a while to get to sleep. I felt really bad for whoever was actually IN their cabin with them!!

The only time I've heard noise from a connecting cabin was in Feb on the Magic. But that was because my parents were in that cabin and we kept the doors open except at night. :P

Hello-
Can anyone advise me? My TA told me you can't hear much from connecting rooms, but my experience at least in hotel rooms is quite the opposite. I just read on a review that the noise is indeed an issue. Can anyone give me some advice based on a recent Fantasy cruise? We are on the 9th deck in a balcony room.
Thanks-
We've been in connecting and non-connecting rooms. My experience leads me to believe that it doesn't matter if there's a door in the wall, or not. It depends on who's next door.

I don't understand the "doors transmit more sound than walls" thought. There are two doors on the connecting doorway. And, most times, that's thicker than the actual wall the door is in.

We had a connecting room on the Fantasy and had no problems (although, the people in the next room were my parents :P) But still, I never heard them and they are early risers! We also had a connecting room on another cruise on the Fantasy and never heard anything in that room either (except for them letting the door slap shut every time they went in/out of the room. I don't get it, why must people let their doors slam shut????). We heard more noise from kids running up and down the hallways on that cruise--we were mid-ship. The cruise with my parents connecting we were forward right across from the elevators and I heard NOTHING (and I was paranoid that I'd hear everything). I say bring a good pair of ear-plugs because like @PrincessShmoo said, it likely doesn't matter what type of room you have, but who's in the room that matters.

I am very, very noise sensitive, I do not even play the radio when in the car and I have never heard noise in a connecting room when sailing with Disney.

Kate

It just makes me cringe with the though of a little kiddo's fingers getting caught in that heavy door, especially, as you've mentioned, the verandah door is open and sucks it closed. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter