Northeast storms and spring break

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
is anyone's spring breaks being cut short due to snow in Northeast.?
Because of number of school days lost?

Have some friends/relatives in the area and so far no impact for them on spring break. A couple of them have it this week and no change to spring break despite some closures early last week. One other I know has spring break next week and nothing has changed there thus far. I just sit here in Chicago and try to determine what horrible thing all the northeasterners must have done to deserve the pummelling they have been getting.

I'm a teacher in RI and up to 7 makeup days due to snow and windstorms. We are currently going to make up days at the end of the school year in June. I know in MA, they are talking about taking away holidays like Good Friday and school on Saturdays.

I'm a teacher in RI and up to 7 makeup days due to snow and windstorms. We are currently going to make up days at the end of the school year in June. I know in MA, they are talking about taking away holidays like Good Friday and school on Saturdays.

It'll never happen with school on Saturdays. I'd imagine it would have to be approved by the teacher's unions, and I doubt they'd approve it.

Seeing the weather? I expected this. NEVER FLY IN THE WINTER. Airlines will play "cancel, cancel cancel"
We live in MI.... won't even TRY to get to WDW, December through March.

It'll never happen with school on Saturdays. I'd imagine it would have to be approved by the teacher's unions, and I doubt they'd approve it.

It probably will have to go up for a vote but I think that it may have a chance of passing. I think teachers may pick Saturdays over going into late June or early July. It gets so hot and humid in the schools around that time. I imagine some will call out on Saturdays but you can’t please everyone.

We are in south coast MA and the current last day of school is June 19th (5 make up days) for my ds’s School. No talk of cutting out spring break but one of my friends is a teacher in the northwest portion of the state and they have 12 snow days to make up and are looking into cutting spring break or going in on Saturdays to make them up.

My ds last day will be the 15th cause we are leaving that night early morning of the 16th for our trip.

is anyone's spring breaks being cut short due to snow in Northeast.?
Because of number of school days lost?
My kids lost 2 spring vacation days (Monday before and after Easter Day). She was sooooo glad school was not canceled today. Otherwise they would have lost another spring vacation day. However, they did have early dismissal, which of course they didn’t mind

Seeing the weather? I expected this. NEVER FLY IN THE WINTER. Airlines will play "cancel, cancel cancel"
Everytime I try to plan a December trip, I chicken out. I can’t pull the trigger thinking of potential snow storms.

I live in Pennsylvania. My wife and I regularly go to WDW in February. In 20 years, we've only had one vacation not go off as planned. That year we had back to back to back to back storms, the final one being the day before we were to fly. That storm dumped 20" on Philadelphia, 24" on Baltimore, and 16" on NYC and points north. Our original flights on Friday were cancelled on Tuesday. Our replacement Saturday afternoon flights were cancelled on Wednesday. Our final replacement flight, booked Wednesday, was Monday morning as one of the first flights out after the storm clean up. Fortunately, this 12 night vacation was CRO, so we spent a lot of time on the phone moving the start date back. When the snow was forecast, we considered just driving, but didn't because the first replacement flights were only a day delay. When they pushed us back to Monday (3 days of vacation lost), it was too late to drive without hitting some of the storm.

We are in Ma -- no changes for our kids but we haven't been hit as hard as the Boston area, so they might be making adjustments out there. So far we will have 5 additional days tacked on to the end of the school year. I honestly would not change my vacation plans for last minute school changes cutting into our April spring break. I think they do what they can to avoid it and the teachers might have in their contract that they can go until the end of June -- (I could be wrong), so if that were the case we still have some extra days to spare. BUT we are definitely praying for warm weather and no more snow!!

We have 7 days to make up in my district. Fortunately they are not discussing cutting our break. As a teacher in the district I would still take my vacation and just use my personal days if they changed it. We have done Saturdays and extended days when a massive ice storm happened the week before Christmas break and we lost 6 days and then had severe snow storms January-March. That year we still got out close to the end of June.

In NJ, we have a town nearby that will be holding classes on a Saturday - so yes, it absolutely does happen. Our school is using Good Friday as the make up day (with an early dismissal)..

LOL, Dean. We live in MN and often travel in the winter. Been taking winter trips (various times in December - February) pretty much every year since 1999. I'm sure we've been lucky, but the ONLY trip to WDW that we had to cut short occurred in October, when Matthew decided to visit Florida.

I am surprised that so few schools in areas of the country that regularly have snow don't have more days of school built in to account for snow days. But then you have had so many snow days that maybe it wasn't enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter