Northern Lights this weekend? Auroras could be visible as far south as Alabama

My niece wondered why the lights were seen better with the phone than in person. She found this….
The rods and cones in our eyes cannot detect the full spectrum of light in the dark. But a camera does! At lower latitudes, Northern Lights often show up on a DSLR camera, before they appear to the naked eye. As the Aurora gains strength, it may then become visible without the use of a camera.

We went out around 11:15 and didn’t see anything. Neighbors were out too. We are in SW Pennsylvania. I think we might have seen them if we used a camera. Might try tonight but it has been overcast all day and we have thunderstorms right now.

I'm pissed. I went out both sides of our house looking and didn't see anything around 11:30 last night. Oh, saw lots of stars (very little light pollution where we live), but no kind of glow or anything. So went to bed, oh well.

This morning, on our neighborhood FB page were pictures our neighbor's saw of it. Apparently posted around midnight.

GRRR....
That was exactly what happened to us! We did see a little green but fairly faint and hard to see and went in about 11:30. A little better in pictures. Then this morning all sorts of pics from people in town with amazing photos raving about it about midnight.

We'd have to drive at least an hour out of the city to have a chance, and the weather does not look cooperative (cloudy/rainy). So we will miss them.

Same here. The city lights will obliterate any chance of seeing anything. 🙁

My niece wondered why the lights were seen better with the phone than in person. She found this….
The rods and cones in our eyes cannot detect the full spectrum of light in the dark. But a camera does! At lower latitudes, Northern Lights often show up on a DSLR camera, before they appear to the naked eye. As the Aurora gains strength, it may then become visible without the use of a camera.
Thanks!

Thanks. Very interesting.
Same here. The city lights will obliterate any chance of seeing anything.
NYC? Lights? Naaaa :duck: :laughing:

Great pictures everyone!1

Go randomly take pictures of the sky. That was the best way for us to view it. Especially if you see lighter streaks.

It showed up much easier through the pictures taken.

I tried that before the cloud cover got really thick. I skipped the big camera and was just using my phone. I played with some settings, but unedited, it primarily looks like a cloudy sky.

IMG_2318.jpeg

If I add some saturation and highlight filtering, you start seeing some colors…including some pink hues. Still, I can’t guarantee any of that is tied to the actual aurora and it definitely didn’t look that way with the naked eye.

IMG_2340.jpeg

The northern lights were not as prominent last night.

There might be another opportunity tonight

Last night at a gathering, I made the mistake of asking "Which way are we supposed to look"?

People thought I was pretty dumb :rotfl2:

I could assume *north*, but I did NOT know which direction was north in the yard though. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter