Not in a Happy mood today about ABD, when I should be.

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
ABD just announce the trip I've been waiting *years* for - Japan. It looks fabulous. I should be dancing a jig of joy. Should be.

I just spent a wonderful half an hour with a Vacationista, discussing tomorrow's ordeal, venting, and just realizing HOW MUCH I don't want to be on the phone with ABD tomorrow morning at 8am. I've *NEVER* felt this level of anxiety about booking an ABD. They have engineered everything to make booking the Japan ABD as unpleasant and stressful as possible. From announcing the dates on a Friday, giving their Vacationistas *no* additional data beyond what's on the website, to allowing D23, DVC and who the **** knows who else to book tomorrow, taking away the *ONE* benefit we have as repeat ABDers.

I was out of the country on a cruise until late yesterday. I have no way to get ahold of my TA before 8am tomorrow morning if I wanted her to book this for me. So if I want to get the date I want, possibly if I want to book this trip at all, I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow, my first day back from an 8-day vacation, try to get ahold of my boss and beg him to let me come into work late tomorrow so that I can sit on hold for god knows how long, to book along side of people who have never taken an ABD, but have spent a lot of money on other Disney products.

They could let D23 and DVC book on Tuesday, and it would still be ahead of the general public. But no. They took away the only benefit they've given us as return guests. We are truly the red-headed step children of Disney.

I *LOVE* the product. The itineraries and the Adventure Guides are second to none for me. But the people who actually run ABD now are totally turning me off. I have to say, if I do not get the Japan trip I want tomorrow, I am not booking a different ABD in it's place for 2019. And that may be *it* for me with ABD. I am SO FED UP with this. Seriously! This would be my TENTH ABD since 2008, and it means NOTHING to them! SO FREAKING TIRED.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Congratulations on having the means and opportunity to go on a dream trip like this in addition to cruising. You appear to be a world traveler. You are very fortunate indeed.
Thank you. I do realize I'm fortunate. I'm still employed - I work very hard for my money, I have paid off all my debts except for my mortgage, and right now, my medical expenses are relatively reasonable. I have no kids or spouse. I also have a 16 year old car that thankfully still runs. It's a choice I've made on how to spend my income. So I do realize these are First World problems. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Sayhello

Thank you. I do realize I'm fortunate. I'm still employed - I work very hard for my money, I have paid off all my debts except for my mortgage, and right now, my medical expenses are relatively reasonable. I have no kids or spouse. I also have a 16 year old car that thankfully still runs. It's a choice I've made on how to spend my income. So I do realize these are First World problems. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Sayhello

That's great. You have done things right. I bet it will be a wonderful trip. Enjoy.

I have a TA that you can get in touch with today if you want her info. She is with Dreaming About the Mouse Travel. I'm not affiliated. Just mentioning it.

I have a TA that you can get in touch with today if you want her info. She is with Dreaming About the Mouse Travel. I'm not affiliated. Just mentioning it.
Thanks! Could you PM me her contact information? I'd really appreciate that. Can you contact her by phone or only by email?

Well, I hope to meet you some day on one of these trips-- you have always been so helpful on this disboard! I hope this sends positive vibes!!
:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc Thank you! I hope we get to meet, also! And I can feel the positive vibes, alright! :cloud9:

Sayhello

I have no idea how to PM. I just clicked on starting a conversation with you and sent you the info. Did I do it right? I'm embarrassed I can't figure this out. lol

I have no idea how to PM. I just clicked on starting a conversation with you and sent you the info. Did I do it right? I'm embarrassed I can't figure this out. lol
You did it exactly right. :) Sorry, I should have said "start a conversation" about it. But I'm not always sure people understand that one, either.

Sayhello

ABD just announce the trip I've been waiting *years* for - Japan. It looks fabulous. I should be dancing a jig of joy. Should be.

I just spent a wonderful half an hour with a Vacationista, discussing tomorrow's ordeal, venting, and just realizing HOW MUCH I don't want to be on the phone with ABD tomorrow morning at 8am. I've *NEVER* felt this level of anxiety about booking an ABD. They have engineered everything to make booking the Japan ABD as unpleasant and stressful as possible. From announcing the dates on a Friday, giving their Vacationistas *no* additional data beyond what's on the website, to allowing D23, DVC and who the **** knows who else to book tomorrow, taking away the *ONE* benefit we have as repeat ABDers.

I was out of the country on a cruise until late yesterday. I have no way to get ahold of my TA before 8am tomorrow morning if I wanted her to book this for me. So if I want to get the date I want, possibly if I want to book this trip at all, I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow, my first day back from an 8-day vacation, try to get ahold of my boss and beg him to let me come into work late tomorrow so that I can sit on hold for god knows how long, to book along side of people who have never taken an ABD, but have spent a lot of money on other Disney products.

They could let D23 and DVC book on Tuesday, and it would still be ahead of the general public. But no. They took away the only benefit they've given us as return guests. We are truly the red-headed step children of Disney.

I *LOVE* the product. The itineraries and the Adventure Guides are second to none for me. But the people who actually run ABD now are totally turning me off. I have to say, if I do not get the Japan trip I want tomorrow, I am not booking a different ABD in it's place for 2019. And that may be *it* for me with ABD. I am SO FED UP with this. Seriously! This would be my TENTH ABD since 2008, and it means NOTHING to them! SO FREAKING TIRED.

Sayhello
I am so sorry! Many of us feel your pain. We will not be in tomorrow's cattle drive for 2019 and will be taking a hiatus from ABD, as we did once before, waiting for them to get their act back together. Like you, love the product, but it seems to decline after the "refreshes" like Scotland, Norway and now Australia - so the first trip is the best to take. I hope this works out for you!

I am so sorry! Many of us feel your pain. We will not be in tomorrow's cattle drive for 2019 and will be taking a hiatus from ABD, as we did once before, waiting for them to get their act back together. Like you, love the product, but it seems to decline after the "refreshes" like Scotland, Norway and now Australia - so the first trip is the best to take. I hope this works out for you!
Thanks, @Grifdog22. I hope it does, too!

Sayhello

I'm sorry and I understand - that's what I was referring to in my post about booking Iceland - was so happy they came out with that trip, and then booking it (and follow up communications) have been nothing but a pain. It does not help Disney that we have booked a Backroads trip this year, and it has been so incredibly easy and user-friendly. The comparison is night and day (to be fair, we haven't actually been on the Backroads trip yet, so I am only comparing the booking process and post-booking communications).

You are such a great cheerleader for ABD that if they're making you unhappy they really need to evaluate their process! And on the upside, the Japan trip is so expensive it's hard to imagine it will sell out first day. Good luck.

I'm sorry and I understand - that's what I was referring to in my post about booking Iceland - was so happy they came out with that trip, and then booking it (and follow up communications) have been nothing but a pain. It does not help Disney that we have booked a Backroads trip this year, and it has been so incredibly easy and user-friendly. The comparison is night and day (to be fair, we haven't actually been on the Backroads trip yet, so I am only comparing the booking process and post-booking communications).

You are such a great cheerleader for ABD that if they're making you unhappy they really need to evaluate their process! And on the upside, the Japan trip is so expensive it's hard to imagine it will sell out first day. Good luck.
Actually, that's one of the things that has me worried, because I thought that about the price, too. But she said that of all the inquiries they've gotten since Friday (and it's been a lot) the price has deterred no-one from planning to book it. :( I'm hoping they're just not inquiring, but I guess I'll find out.

Sayhello

You have every right to vent! The lack of communication and difficulty in booking as an ABD insider are beyond frustrating. I believe DCL members are getting priority as well. They really need to start giving perks to their loyal customers (even if it is only booking a day ahead of everyone else). We did NOT get an email from ABD about booking before the general public on Monday. We got an email from DVC (we are members). What the heck, ABD? Why can't they keep an insiders email list? It's not that hard.

We were so disappointed in the communication from ABD before our first ABD trip to China last year that I probably would have cancelled if not for these amazing boards and people like you who write trip reports. The trip to China was beyond amazing but dealing with ABD before the trip was frustrating. I hope they read these boards because something needs to change. We have booked our 2019 trip with Tauck and their website, app, and communication have been impressive. I know they are a very large travel company but still. ABD needs to get their act together.

You have every right to vent! The lack of communication and difficulty in booking as an ABD insider are beyond frustrating. I believe DCL members are getting priority as well. They really need to start giving perks to their loyal customers (even if it is only booking a day ahead of everyone else). We did NOT get an email from ABD about booking before the general public on Monday. We got an email from DVC (we are members). What the heck, ABD? Why can't they keep an insiders email list? It's not that hard.

We were so disappointed in the communication from ABD before our first ABD trip to China last year that I probably would have cancelled if not for these amazing boards and people like you who write trip reports. The trip to China was beyond amazing but dealing with ABD before the trip was frustrating. I hope they read these boards because something needs to change. We have booked our 2019 trip with Tauck and their website, app, and communication have been impressive. I know they are a very large travel company but still. ABD needs to get their act together.
I never got an email or any communication from ABD, either. The info was from here, a fb group, and the Disney Parks blog. Serious ***.

Sayhello

I hope it works out, keep us posted. I want you to go and then write a fabulous trip report that talks me into booking it. But just in case it doesn't, here are two alternatives:

https://www.backroads.com/trips/WJNS/japan-cruise-walking-hiking-tour (we are DYING to do this, but it's only 18 years and up - I've already asked - so that won't work for our family)
or
http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/japan-tour/detail (2019 dates aren't out yet, but Nat Geo is slowly rolling out 2019 dates. It's not like ABD where they're all released at once. And look at the single supplement, only about $2000)

(I am at my desk working our our spring break planning - summer 2019 is too far off for me to commit but spring break is in only 10 months so trying to come up with ideas...so few good family group travel trips in March...)

I never got an email or any communication from ABD, either. The info was from here, a fb group, and the Disney Parks blog. Serious ***.

Sayhello

I'm an ABD Insider, D23 Gold, and DCL Platinum. I did not receive ANY communication about the advance booking from any of the channels.
I know I'm not an optout on communications because I receive PLENTY of email from Disney Interactive, ABC, and other areas of the company of which I've had no prior dealings. Sigh.

So is it 8am EDT tomorrow for the phones? I'm going to try to get on the waitlist for that October Japan tour. The April date just doesn't work with my work priorities. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter