• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not so Live Report, Oasis of the seas, May 30th...

Great pictures! I loved Central Park on Allure too. I don't think they had a Coach store on that ship. If they did I don't remember seeing it.

How's the food? Any favorite meals? How about the shows?

Food is a bit hard to classify. LOL.
So, we had a standing 6 pm reservation using my time dining. Our Dining room was the American Icon. I believe they have two large dining rooms. We ate at the main dining room twice for dinner, twice for breakfast. they have three or four signature restaurants. Chops grille, Giavonni's Italian and a Japanese grill that had sushi and hibachi.

1) menu at the main dining rooms changed every night and also included what they called "classics" that they had every night. the classics were always a steak, linguine pasta dish and a fish (can't remember what it was). I found the meals at the main dining room OK. it was weird, I found the appetizers and soup awesome and flavorful but the main entrée were really bland. one night I went with the steak and while it wasn't bad, it was flavorless. but the soup was a delicious pumpkin puree. So I did leave full and satisfied but it was really strange to us.

2) the Buffet on board is on the 15th deck with the pools. It is really an excellent buffet. I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer number of choices. As with most buffets you have some odd quirks that you can't really call bad but were annoying. for example, the put every thing on "ice" including the hamburger and hot dog buns. so after sitting on the bin they turn cold and hard. but on the plus side the buffet always had a hand carved meat selection and the salad and fruit stations were awesome.

3) do a signature restaurant. Now many people balk at paying for meals on board when meals are included in the price but the signature restaurants take that into consideration and the upcharge is usually minimal. so we ate a Giavonni's and the food was delicious. and I think the up charge was 30 bucks for three of us. It's a good time to try a fancy restaurant for far less than you would at home. Chops grill in Pa will easily run you 200-300 for a meal for 4 yet on board we could try a 3 course dinner for 25 bucks each.

On the boardwalk there is a johnny rockets, a sabor (Spanish tapas) and hotdog house and ben and Jerry's. B&J was extra but once again we didn't find it to be expensive. 2.50 for a ice cream cone with a generous single scoop, 5 bucks for a shake or sundae.

My only negative about the food was the EGGS!!! lol, downright scary nasty. I believe they were powdered. steer clear at all cost.

How's the food? Any favorite meals? How about the shows?

Shows were great
Cats is the current broadway production. It is the full fledged play 2.5 hours with intermission. I saw it on Broadway some years ago and it's equally as good.
we then saw an ice skating show called "frozen in time". LOL it's RC's answer to Disney's frozen. It's about the stories of Hans Christian Anderson.
There is an excellent aqua show
A comedy show (definitely R rated)
a Jazz venue
a cirque du soliel type show called "come fly with me"
and a Las Vegas lounge type show.
We caught them all, all were excellent.
set of cats

jazz venue

comedy venue. warning. this is definitely not for little kiddies. hilarious but salty.

one of a few nightclubs

Studio B. live lounge performers

Ice skating rink

Thank you for taking the time to do this! I'm really enjoying your updates. Continue to enjoy your vacation! :thanks:

I can't believe I had to hunt your trip report down like an animal!
I remembered you said you were going on a cruise, so I just found this (searching out your screen name!!!)

How do you like cruising? Your sons and your niece, did they like it? Do you feel like you're on a ship?
How do you like waking up in the AM at a different port? Did you enjoy sea days?
Did you join in any reindeer games? Trivia, etc....
Did you order room service? Breakfast?? So many questions!!!

We've done Freedom twice. While not quite as big as your ship, pretty similar. Although I have read some reports that some really love the Oasis class. They are going to Port Canaveral soon, we may try it then.

I'll stay tuned and wait my turn for the 3rd degree! Welcome back and I'm loving reading your report!

I can't believe I had to hunt your trip report down like an animal!
I remembered you said you were going on a cruise, so I just found this (searching out your screen name!!!)

How do you like cruising? Your sons and your niece, did they like it? Do you feel like you're on a ship?
How do you like waking up in the AM at a different port? Did you enjoy sea days?
Did you join in any reindeer games? Trivia, etc....
Did you order room service? Breakfast?? So many questions!!!

We've done Freedom twice. While not quite as big as your ship, pretty similar. Although I have read some reports that some really love the Oasis class. They are going to Port Canaveral soon, we may try it then.

I'll stay tuned and wait my turn for the 3rd degree! Welcome back and I'm loving reading your report!

Hey Muushka,
Wonderful to hear from you.

Loved, loved, loved cruising. I can easily see why folks love it. No offense to the mouseworld but we really enjoyed the fact that we were not stressing over every single thing. it's one of my big complaints about the new style of touring at the mouseworld.

So the easy ones. we didn't order room service, mainly because we really enjoyed the beauty of waking up early and going to the common areas on the ship. the kids loved the ship and could have easily hung out on it even on port days. We did excursions every port day (3).
Nassau, we did the catamarna snorkel adventure
St. Thomas, we did a speed boat tour of the island. loads of fun but very jerky. the mom lady could have passed on this but the "youngins" loved it. YOu get completely soaked.
St Maarten was proably the least liked. Unfortunately like many islands they got hit with a hurricane a few years back and haven't really bounced back. we took an island tour. tour guide was great though.

We booked all 3 excursions through RC. I had read on Cruise critic that you can save a few bucks and book execursion with locals right at the pier but we decided the first time we'd go with the ship sponsored.

Things to do....

One of the kiddie pool area's

One of my son's doing the wave boarding thingey. lol, he is the brave one out of the bunch.

Way to high for me, lol

this is more my speed.

Last edited:
Love the pictures. And I'm with you 100% on the ease of cruising over visiting the Mouse. That's why we cruise and not do the mouse. In fact, we will only be going 11/2016, last visit being 12/2013.
And the dining aspect. Boy, how much easier to eat on a cruise!

I can understand just staying on the ship, it is what we do. Unless it is an unusual port.
Did you go to Labadee? It is a nice island.

Your kiddos look like they were having the time of their lives. I'm so glad for them (and you).

Don't forget to join the Crown and Anchor at RCI. They have some excellent perks as cruises get added.
Plus it transfers over to Celebrity, our cruise line of choice. If you ever go sans the boys, try Celebrity.

I'm in! I never look on this section, but when I saw your trip report I knew I had to subscribe! Can't wait to hear more!

Looking forward to more! I am researching our first cruise (planning 2017) and am researching various ships and Cruise lines (including DCL). The ship looks awesome (and big, very big). The areas in the pics don't seem too crowded either. Maybe I'm just too used to Disney being packed shoulder to shoulder LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter