Not sure about Haunted Mansion??

Mom2DS

WL Veteran
Somewhere I was reading a post about a family who had a young Disney'er who wasn't sure about going on the Haunted Mansion ride. My youngest and I found a website yesterday that might help. Check out www.grimghosts.com. This gives you a virtual tour so you will know exactly what to expect. I was able to give my 7 year old a "heads-up" on what he will see and even explain how they make it look that way!

I really think he will be fine. Our children are so de-sensitized (sadly) that something like the Haunted Mansion is a walk in the park. My 7 year old went when she was 5, she was a little bit scared during the pre-show, but she LOVED the "hitch-hickers". Have fun!

It is a good idea to talk to them about it and not do anything that may scare them before going in. Our DD was 4 and she went through it with no problems.

We have taken my son to Disney World every year since he was one he will be 6 next month. The first couple of years he didn't want to go on the Haunted Mansion, so we didn't push it. We left it up to him. I was made to go on a ride as a child at Knots Berry Farm and I still remember to this day how much I hated every second of it. Anyway, 2 trips ago he wanted to go. We had gotten the Disney World Racing game for him on his Playstation and he knew all the rides from that. He even insisted on going on BTMR on that trip.

That website is the best :D I wish there was one for TOT
I will be going with DH and 14 month old DS.
Will all three of us be allowed to get in one buggy ?
DS is only little, but the website said the buggys carry 2 people, so are they flexible for little people :confused:
Do you think this ride would be too intense for my son ?
It'll terrify the living daylights out of me by the looks of it :p

Originally posted by alexandra uk
That website is the best :D I wish there was one for TOT
I will be going with DH and 14 month old DS.
Will all three of us be allowed to get in one buggy ?
DS is only little, but the website said the buggys carry 2 people, so are they flexible for little people :confused:
Do you think this ride would be too intense for my son ?
It'll terrify the living daylights out of me by the looks of it :p

In my opinion the Haunted Mansion is really more fun than scary per se. I have heard that the HM at Disneyland Paris is much scarier. Everything in the Fla Haunted Mansion is pretty light hearted. There are some sections where things pop out at you, sort of, not to give too much away. 14 months old may be a little young if your Son is scared of the dark, etc. While the doom buggies usually carry 2 people, we have taken three on there numerous times if one is a child. I wouldn't worry about that part about it at all. Alien Encounter is more frightening for kids than HM is in my opinion.

Thanks for that :D
DS isn't scared of the dark at all ( I am :p )
I think the things that pop out may scare him, but if I read through that virtual tour again before we go, i can try to remember where the jumpy bits are, and try to distract him.

At my age the Haunted Mansion is still my favorite, and I was very young the first time. Check out www.doombuggies.com, this site is awesome and will help give you some visuals before you arrive.

Have a great trip!
:wave:

We took our daugther (22 months old) on the Haunted Mansion ride a couple of times when we were there in September. She loved it and wasn't afraid. The 3 of us fit in one buggy no problem.

Thanks so much for that link. I'm not sure about my 4 yr old dd. We did the kid switch for her when she was 2. I've had 4 yr old back out and not want to go through. We even had to reassure our 2 ds who were 8 and 6 last time before they'd ride. I'm going to show them the website, too, and they're 11 and 8. My kids are not as de-sensatized as most of their peers, but that's been a very conscience effort on our part.

Three is no problem - I rode with both my ds.

My 5 year older daughter was TERRIFIED of the Haunted Mansion! It really surprised me, but she did not do well at all. I didn't think she would have a problem with this ride because she does well in the dark, big SURPRISE for me. When planning I would buy the Unofficial Guide to WDW to check the "scare" ratings. You'd be surprised at what your kids are afraid of, I was.

:D Juli

the 'doom buggies' can easily seat three people, although, the person in the middle may end up trying to smack a ghost off their lap like my little sister did! :p

After looking at the site, I know we'll be doing the kid switch for my 4 yr. old dd again. Thanks for that link.

I think the things that pop out may scare him, but if I read through that virtual tour again before we go, i can try to remember where the jumpy bits are, and try to distract him.

My kids have both been introduced to the Haunted Mansion starting at 2 years old. Instead of trying to distract them, encourage them to "scare the creepies back" and dont hold them back! My kids look foward to getting even with the monters every time we go back - they still get a little chill in thier spines.

Now we havent tried Alien Encounter yet with the older boy, but I can tell you BEWARE Dinosaur the Ride at Animal Kingdom - Its FAST IN YOUR FACE ACTION, my son loves it so much, every photo taken by the automatic camera barely shows him because he is holding on the foward bar for dear life itself - LOL !

Dissenting view-

I think the HM can be VERY scary for kids. Our DD, at age 4, backed out as soon as we got inside the building. Later, DW and I rode and I am glad we didn't take her. Maybe for grownups it's "more fun than scary" but I think alot of kids would be terrified. The ride starts off in the very first room with seeing the narrator's dead body hanging from a rope above you. The room with all the items flying around it by themselves is just the kind of thing that I had nightmares about as a kid.

Maybe your kids will do fine, but I suggest you ride it first before deciding. Don't go by what anyone here tells you, because they don't know what your kids are like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter