not sure if this is the correct board - Magic Bands - pros / cons of putting credit card on it

I feel like I've told this story many times lately. Regardless....
We put a CC on our bands once. We picked the card with the highest daily limit and the front desk never mentioned what the Disney imposed limit was (or that they had one). We were staying at Pop and this was in 2014 when magic bands were first out, so I'm guessing it was like 500 dollars.
Well we had not been buying much, had dining plan and were putting tips on it and that was it. Halfway through the trip we decided to buy some souvenirs for family and send to front of park. I want to say total was $150-$200 and cashier said it was declined, limit was reached. We knew the limit was $1500 a day on that CC, so it wasn't right. Cashier said only way was to go back to home resort and take care of it at desk. We did NOT go back to Pop right then and there, but that evening after parks closed. Front desk told us it was supposed to clear each night and restart but hadn't. Needless to say, we NEVER charge to MB any more just because we don't want a chance it could go wrong.

The band is soooo easy to simply swipe and charge to room.. A credit card, you take out and actually think more " hey I am spending money".. Hence our room charges are crazy, but it's our own fault... It's a self control thing...

Great benefit is for the water parks.. no need to carry money or a credit card around.... some in parks you can technically go with only the band... no wallet etc... in a way nice.

It is really nice to be able to charge to your MagicBand because then you don't have to worry about using and losing a credit card or cash. This is especially handy when at the resort pool. You don't have to bring any money down to the pool with you. :)

i didn't think about the water parks/pools....good point!!

I always ask the front desk to make sure charging privledges are turned off for my band, I have had a cashier charge my card instead of taking a dining credit and I do not want to risk it. Also I like keeping more specific track of my spending (have a set amount I plan to spend) and I feel like having the band to charge makes it really easy to rack up the bill. I don't have any problem carrying cash, gift cards and my Disney reward redepemtion card and just feel more comfortable doing so.

I don't see any difference between using a credit card and charging on the Magicband. For both, you need self control to manage your spending. I keep all receipts for any purchases to verify anyways. We never carry a balance on our credit cards so for us, it's all about convenience. We use the Magicband wherever possible while at WDW!

I always ask the front desk to make sure charging privledges are turned off for my band, I have had a cashier charge my card instead of taking a dining credit and I do not want to risk it. Also I like keeping more specific track of my spending (have a set amount I plan to spend) and I feel like having the band to charge makes it really easy to rack up the bill. I don't have any problem carrying cash, gift cards and my Disney reward redepemtion card and just feel more comfortable doing so.

that happened to you too?
it happened to us as well...
since then i haven't put a cc on the band...

but because of the convenience, i think i'll give it another try...
it will make it much easier for the rest of the group if i do..

i guess i could just check at the front desk every day to see if all the meals/snacks have been charged correctly..

the title says it all...

i'm wondering if people have opinions on whether to have your magic band authorized with a credit card..

that is, do you think it's a good idea or not to be able to use your magic band for charging?

we'll be there next week, and i was wondering if i should or not...

i'm probably overthinking.. :confused:

If you don't add a credit card, you can't do room charges.

It's a lot more convenient to just scan your band, enter your pin number and go. For me, there is no down side.

that happened to you too?
it happened to us as well...
since then i haven't put a cc on the band...

but because of the convenience, i think i'll give it another try...
it will make it much easier for the rest of the group if i do..

i guess i could just check at the front desk every day to see if all the meals/snacks have been charged correctly..

Doesn't the balance of your meals on the dining plan show up on your receipt?

I always add a credit card to my MDE account so I can make charges to my room with my MB. I'd much rather use my MB than bring out my credit card for every purchase. I don't carry one at all now. I did when DV got extra discounts in the parks but while the AP discounts are higher I don't

I feel like I've told this story many times lately. Regardless....
We put a CC on our bands once. We picked the card with the highest daily limit and the front desk never mentioned what the Disney imposed limit was (or that they had one). We were staying at Pop and this was in 2014 when magic bands were first out, so I'm guessing it was like 500 dollars.
Well we had not been buying much, had dining plan and were putting tips on it and that was it. Halfway through the trip we decided to buy some souvenirs for family and send to front of park. I want to say total was $150-$200 and cashier said it was declined, limit was reached. We knew the limit was $1500 a day on that CC, so it wasn't right. Cashier said only way was to go back to home resort and take care of it at desk. We did NOT go back to Pop right then and there, but that evening after parks closed. Front desk told us it was supposed to clear each night and restart but hadn't. Needless to say, we NEVER charge to MB any more just because we don't want a chance it could go wrong.

Whoever told you that at the front desk was wrong. We have been many times and they do not charge your credit card every night. The do it when you check out, IF you hit your limit and when you request.

I don't charge to mine because I don't like things charged to my room. I do carry my cc and use it, silly I know it all goes to the same cc but mentally I'm able to control it better if it's not on the room. The few times we have tried to charge to the MB it hasn't worked and was just too much trouble. I have to carry an ID and AP so one more card isn't a big deal for me.

Saves from having to dig out the credit card or cash every time we need to buy something. Just a convenience thing in our eyes.

Ive never had to "dig" a CC out. I see this concept all the time and I just don't get it. :)

The only negative I can think of about charging with the MB is that it's so easy to do, you lose track of how much you're spending!

Not for me! I know I'm spending money either way.

How do you know if the pin has been assigned to each band? How can I check this. I just attached my cc the other day to the magic bands and added the pin but now I don't know if it's attached to all four of our bands or maybe just mine?
'

It's attached to all 4 bands.

Cashier said only way was to go back to home resort and take care of it at desk.

Nowadays they can call, from what I've read.
I don't see any difference between using a credit card and charging on the Magicband. For both, you need self control to manage your spending. I keep all receipts for any purchases to verify anyways.

Whoever told you that at the front desk was wrong. We have been many times and they do not charge your credit card every night. The do it when you check out, IF you hit your limit and when you request.

Well, then that is even worse! Glad I don't do it anymore.

I always put a CC on my account, and use my MB for charging exclusively. I pay down the balance with gift cards, when I have them, the night before I check out, and I check the charges at that time to verify that they are correct, the whole process is extremely easy and convenient.

I have my Disney Visa linked to my Magic Band. I haven't charged on it. This upcoming trip, I have the water parks option on my park hopper so I might use it at TL or at the pool bar at my hotel.

Couldn't the charging the card instead of using TS service credits happen with a physical credit card too?

I don't see any difference between using a credit card and charging on the Magicband. For both, you need self control to manage your spending. I keep all receipts for any purchases to verify anyways. We never carry a balance on our credit cards so for us, it's all about convenience. We use the Magicband wherever possible while at WDW!

Agreed! Same here.

I plan to carry my Disney Visa card and some cash just in case something goes wrong with MBs, but that's simple to carry. It's the whipping it out all the time to pay that's annoying.

We allow our kids to charge on their bands also, but they will only charge what they know they are allowed to.

We aren't using the Dining Plan this trip. We tip with cash though.

Side note: I have 3" x 4" zip bags that I put the credit card and money in so they don't get wet on rides.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Recloseable-Bags-300-Pc-Bx-3X4-Value-Pack/24672067

I also use EZ dose bags for smaller items, like pain pills, Tums, toothpicks, coins. They are flat and keep everything organized in my slim waist pack. Or in my husband's pockets.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezy-Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-50-ct/10318648

I've yet figured out a way to go totally bag free, but I'm going to attempt it this next trip.

Unless you are walking around holding your CC in your hand you have to get it out from somewhere. That's what "dig" it out means.
Exactly. I didn't get the impression you meant delve into the bottom of your bag and rummage through all the clutter to find it. LOL.

Even if it's in the same slim pocket in my waist pack I still have to take it out and put it back. Sometimes you have your purchases in your hand and have to juggle because you don't want to drop you credit card, or your purchase. I get it. MB charging is so easy! I love it.

Last edited:
We do it every trip. The resorts cap how much you can spend total before you have to go and "clear" it at the front desk. I think the amount differs from values to moderates to deluxe. Like maybe $1500 for moderates if I remember correctly. We don't have it put on our kids bands, just the ones for DH and I. It makes life a lot simpler, I think.
Once you reach the cap, it is charged automatically to your credit card on file by Disney.There is no front desk stop needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!