**November 2019 check in ***

Did they allow other people into the reserved area once the parade began or did it stay roped off for people who paid for the package?
It was roped off as far as I could tell. I was staring at the parade. I didn’t see anyone new enter while the parade was going. We were sitting 4 or 5 people back from the curb.

Leave tomorrow. Fun packing for a trip with 30 degree high temp swings over two days! Glad we'll at least get some cool "Christmas" weather, though. And since everyone knows Californians are scared of rain the parks should be relatively empty Wednesday and Thursday... :P

Hahaha, yeah, we leave Monday and I'm looking at the weather going, "ok....?" I also have an opinion that weather in coastal states is hard to predict and might blow through quicker than expected. I'm just waiting til the day before we leave to decide how much rain protection to pack!

So, now it’s decided... We cancel our trip (5days Disneyland, 2 weeks Hawaii including Honolulu marathon). :sad1: They haven’t done the surgery early enough for mom getting the cast early enough to make our original flights and rebooking them would have been crazy expensive ( and I mean crazy expensive) because the flights are almost completely booked.
But my mom got out of the hospital today and she feels really good, no pain so far...(keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way and for a speedy recovery) That’s far more important than any vacation could ever be...
So, now we plan to redo the trip next year! Though we still have to decide if we’ll give the marathon another try... and I have to see about work (I hope to start my first job next spring... but should be able to take a 3-4 weeks long leave by November...if everything works out as planned) I think we give the holiday time another try... so now I can start planning again...:rolleyes:

Oh, and not to forget: I snatched new flights for me to and from LAX... (just have to try to change my mom’s reservation with Best Western to my name... I hope that won’t be a problem)...
So, now I‘ll arrive nov 27th and leave dec 5th for a solo trip... :cool1: 5 Park days, thanksgiving and Monday (dec 2nd) will be my rest/shopping days...(so pretty much like I had originally planned just without my mom and dad...)
My first ever complete solo trip! I am a little nervous (alone in the US and a 12h flight) but extremely exited! I guess I have to do laundry now and start packing...

So, now it’s decided...
My first ever complete solo trip! I am a little nervous (alone in the US and a 12h flight) but extremely exited! I guess I have to do laundry now and start packing...
I am so glad that everything is working out with your mom and the trip rescheduling and your travel, too! That is very good news about your mom's progress -- best wishes and pixie dust for a speedy, pain free recovery for her! And for you -- your first solo trip! How exciting! You will have so much fun! (We'll be in the parks on Thanksgiving -- maybe we'll see you?) Ask @BadPinkTink for any tips on solo park touring -- she's got mad skillz in that department. :)

If anyone is interested - Trader Sam's still has the Hatbox Ghost tiki mugs. They are not on the menu but I asked our server if they had any mugs not on the menu and he said they still had HG from Halloween.

I am so glad that everything is working out with your mom and the trip rescheduling and your travel, too! That is very good news about your mom's progress -- best wishes and pixie dust for a speedy, pain free recovery for her! And for you -- your first solo trip! How exciting! You will have so much fun! (We'll be in the parks on Thanksgiving -- maybe we'll see you?) Ask @BadPinkTink for any tips on solo park touring -- she's got mad skillz in that department. :)
I probably won’t be in the parks Thanksgiving... So far I have planned to do some relaxed shopping in DTD (Disney stores), enjoy the atmosphere, thanksgiving dinner at storytellers and than a somewhat early bedtime just to get some hours worth of sleep...

yes I know...BadPinkTink knows all the tricks about awesome solo trips.

My only real problem is, that I lost more than a week worth of planning. I planned to write some food lists (I doubt that I can eat enough to try out everything I like) and then there is a lot of stuff I read here throughout the year and thought „I come back to that later“... gotta do some digging through “old” threads this weekend for sure... (and I probably shouldn’t forget to buy the ticket and organize transportation... all those little things I planned on doing last week. At least I already got my SIM card)

I probably won’t be in the parks Thanksgiving... So far I have planned to do some relaxed shopping in DTD (Disney stores), enjoy the atmosphere...
We'll be shopping in DTD, too -- and probably getting ice cream at Salt & Straw, and meeting up with friends later in the day (they want to do The Void), and other things... If there's a band playing in DTD, you might find us there at some point.
If you need any help filling in details that you can't find in old threads, don't hesitate to ask! Someone around here probably has just what you're looking for!

Here's my official November check-in. Will be in the parks 11/24-11/26. I'm ditching my family and going with my brother and his family, so I'm playing very amateur tour guide for them. I've already gotten a ton of tips on here and I know some of you will be there at the same time as us, so hope you all have a great time!!

Was anyone there earlier this week that can report on how the rain affected the crowds? Looks like there will be more of it next week including Thanksgiving Day.

Was anyone there earlier this week that can report on how the rain affected the crowds? Looks like there will be more of it next week including Thanksgiving Day.
Reports were that it didn't have a significant effect on the crowds, but then it didn't rain that hard or for that long. Someone did post that the day after the rain was wonderful! The rain this coming week looks like it will have a much bigger effect -- but keep in mind that when people have made plans to be in the parks for a major holiday, they will manage some park time, by hook or by crook!, because they have planned for a year for this and paid a lot of money. So it really depends on how wet and how cold the parks get before you see a significant drop in crowds over a longer period of time.

I am definitely a little scared by the weather report...:oops:
I am on my way to buy some rain boots (I haven’t owned any for years I just don’t like wearing them). I hope low ankle ones will be alright because I don’t wanna break the bank. Ponchos are ready to be packed...
Anything else that would be useful?

How about an umbrella? I didn’t think they would be useful because of crowds but in Disneyland Paris quite a few people actually used them...

I am definitely a little scared by the weather report...:oops:
I am on my way to buy some rain boots (I haven’t owned any for years I just don’t like wearing them). I hope low ankle ones will be alright because I don’t wanna break the bank. Ponchos are ready to be packed...
Anything else that would be useful?

How about an umbrella? I didn’t think they would be useful because of crowds but in Disneyland Paris quite a few people actually used them...
I don't really like rain boots (e.g. rubber boots/galoshes type rain shoes) either, but much prefer waterproof shoes/boots that can be worn as regular winter shoes other times of the year. It feels like a better value if I can wear the shoes/boots more often and they don't just sit in the closet most of the time. Amazon.com may have some not-so-expensive waterproof shoes and boots. Or you can try using Google shopping to see who has the lowest price for shoes in your size. Bring extra socks -- put them in a zipper bag so that you always have a pair of dry socks to change into throughout the day. I don't like umbrellas because they are awkward to carry around (especially when they are wet and dripping), they can be forgotten on rides and at restaurants, and they can jab other guests. We prefer good rain coats with hoods. Much easier to move around freely, not a hazard to other guests, and not so easy to leave behind. If the jacket/coat is the kind that can be packed up in a pocket or bag, it will be easy to keep in your park bag.

Alright! I am officially starting to pack now!
If anyone is inspecting my luggage they’ll surely think I took the wrong flight: going to DL California instead of DL Paris...
just got home from my final shopping trip: got new (waterproof) hiking boots (so I still have to do 1-2 long walks to break them in before leaving Wednesday:eek:) and I got new rain pants... and then I’ll pack my thin goreTex jacket (without a hood sadly), a handful of ponchos, a quick dying baseball cap and a thin quilted jacket (along my regular winter jacket) and some fleece jackets and sweaters...
Honestly with all that stuff I could just as fine do a trip do DL Paris, the Baltic Sea or any Nordic country... no one would believe me that I am actually going to Disneyland in California...:rotfl:
Though, I am keeping my fingers crossed for some nice and warm weather... but I am as prepared for everything as I could possibly be...

I am so bummed out that it's supposed to rain for our entire trip, but we're going to make the most of it. I think most of us will be fine, but I have to worry about my mom. Last time I took her when it was raining, she ended up with pneumonia. So, what are some good place for her to stay dry and warm in the rain at both parks? I'm not so worried on Thursday since we'll have a hotel room and it looks like Friday will clear up, but I'm definitely worried Wednesday. We'll be arriving and checking in at PPH around 6AM. I know in previous years, sometimes our room will be ready early, but I can't guarantee that. So, give me your best rain tips.

Alright! I am officially starting to pack now!...
just got home from my final shopping trip: got new (waterproof) hiking boots (so I still have to do 1-2 long walks to break them in before leaving Wednesday:eek:) and I got new rain pants... and then I’ll pack my thin goreTex jacket (without a hood sadly), a handful of ponchos, a quick dying baseball cap and a thin quilted jacket (along my regular winter jacket) and some fleece jackets and sweaters...
For your new boots, if you think you might get blisters, pack wool socks and some moleskin and BodyGlide (or equivalent), just in case. The moleskin, BodyGlide, and blister bandaids will be available at the CVS and Walgreens on Harbor and Katella, too. And you might be surprised how much mileage you can get from a light Gore-Tex jacket layered over a fleece vest or fleece pullover/jacket. Those items together can really keep you warm and dry in the parks and might save a lot of room in your luggage. I always have a quilted (Primaloft) vest that packs up into its own pocket and a light down jacket that packs into a little bag in our DLR backpack -- one or the other of those under a light Gore-Tex jacket/coat is enough for most cold and wet weather conditions in the parks -- and saves me from carrying around a heavier coat that I might not need.

Last edited:
For your new boots, if you think you might get blisters, pack wool socks and some moleskin and BodyGlide (or equivalent), just in case. The moleskin, BodyGlide, and blister bandaids will be available at the CVS and Walgreens on Harbor and Katella, too. And you might be surprised how much mileage you can get from a light Gore-Tex jacket layered over a fleece vest or fleece pullover/jacket. Those items together can really keep you warm and dry in the parks and might save a lot of room in your luggage. I always have a vest that packs up into its own pocket and a light down jacket that packs into a little bag in our DLR backpack -- one or the other of those under a light Gore-Tex jacket/coat is enough for most cold and wet weather conditions in the parks -- and saves me from carrying around a heavier coat that I might not need.
Guess who’s packing advice and tips am trying to follow... Thank you by the way....:thumbsup2
The good thing is that I shouldn’t have much issues with space in my luggage, after all my vacation got cut from almost 4 weeks to 1...and then there is always the option of wearing layers in the plan too...(that’s how I got all my new clothes from my school exchange year in candada back home... I just wore everything that didn’t fit in the bag...)
And if they don’t restock the sold out Christmas stuff (like popcorn buckets and sippers) I might have even more space on my my back than I anticipated...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!