November 2020 car rental thread

♥ Mandi ♥

Mouseketeer
Just got a great deal on our Alamo standard 18 day rental that I've been unable to get below $800 (and it's only getting higher!)

This is our second year in a row booking through GermanWho.com - it's a site for Germans traveling to USA but I didn't see any restrictions on booking the rental through them. I hope this helps others as the Rental rates are ridiculously high this fall.

You do have to create an account but it's free to do so.

Log in, go to "URLAUB" then "MIETWAGEN", select "USA" then enter your rental details.
Click "English (UK)" and it will price it out in Euros.

I got our rental down to $488, so it saved us over $400!

You can choose to 'pay later' (my internet browser automatically translates the text).
It gives you a confirmation code for the rental that you can search for on Alamo's website to verify it was booked!

We booked last November through GermanWho as well and got the best Alamo rate I could find. No issues having a US ID. Nothing in the terms and conditions of the rental stating only Germans are eligible for this discount.

I hope this helps some of you!

Here is a photo of the rental breakdown and what’s included from the confirmation email.

Attachments

• A8D6DADA-4E77-4902-AAA4-1778148C5D69.png
    A8D6DADA-4E77-4902-AAA4-1778148C5D69.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 42
if you check in online can you still use the kiosk in the airport or do you have to go to the counter?

if you check in online can you still use the kiosk in the airport or do you have to go to the counter?

We check in online and go straight to the lot, we skip the kiosk and just check out with an attendant once we pick our car.

Thanks - you just saved me over $100.00 on an SUV

I'm so happy it helped!
We always book 'standard' since there's no standard aisle at Alamo MCO, it bumps us up to full size automatically. We've ALWAYS had luck finding an SUV or a minivan in the full size aisle. You might want to make 2 separate reservations, one SUV and one standard - if you find something you can use in the standard aisle, awesome, grab it!! If not, you'll have your SUV reservation as a backup.

Just got a great deal on our Alamo standard 18 day rental that I've been unable to get below $800 (and it's only getting higher!)

This is our second year in a row booking through GermanWho.com - it's a site for Germans traveling to USA but I didn't see any restrictions on booking the rental through them. I hope this helps others as the Rental rates are ridiculously high this fall.

You do have to create an account but it's free to do so.

Log in, go to "URLAUB" then "MIETWAGEN", select "USA" then enter your rental details.
Click "English (UK)" and it will price it out in Euros.

I got our rental down to $488, so it saved us over $400!

You can choose to 'pay later' (my internet browser automatically translates the text).
It gives you a confirmation code for the rental that you can search for on Alamo's website to verify it was booked!

We booked last November through GermanWho as well and got the best Alamo rate I could find. No issues having a US ID. Nothing in the terms and conditions of the rental stating only Germans are eligible for this discount.

I hope this helps some of you!
Since you said you already rented with this reservation system, did you have any issues when you checked out at the booth in the garage with your LDW being included in your rate? Sometimes they give you a hard time about the insurance being included when you are not a citizen. Did they ask you anything else that was a little apprehensive?

Since you said you already rented with this reservation system, did you have any issues when you checked out at the booth in the garage with your LDW being included in your rate? Sometimes they give you a hard time about the insurance being included when you are not a citizen. Did they ask you anything else that was a little apprehensive?

No, they didn't say anything but we are US citizens and provided a US drivers license at check out.

We use Costco as our car rental agent, last minute cancellations are no problem. How is Germanwho. com with last minutes cancellations? With this virus we may have to cancel last minute.

OP thanks for sharing, nice rate. Although I caught that you read thru the term & conditions on the website, the included collision damage waiver I see on your attachment gives me pause. A red flag that keeps me from utilizing.

YMMV, we all have our own comfort levels. Multiple discussions here & elsewhere over the years re the subject.

Have been advised that if involved in any sort of accident, there could be repercussions when using a corporate code/rate that one isn’t ‘eligible’ to utilize. Enough to send me back to drawing board

OP thanks for sharing, nice rate. Although I caught that you read thru the term & conditions on the website, the included collision damage waiver I see on your attachment gives me pause. A red flag that keeps me from utilizing.

YMMV, we all have our own comfort levels. Multiple discussions here & elsewhere over the years re the subject.

Have been advised that if involved in any sort of accident, there could be repercussions when using a corporate code/rate that one isn’t ‘eligible’ to utilize. Enough to send me back to drawing board

Can you share more about this? I thought that my personal auto insurance would cover an accident in a rental, is that not the case? I have full coverage. Just curious!

I do see your point re: ineligibility to use code. I didn’t see anywhere on the GermanWho site where it says only certain people or only German citizens are supposed to book through them, I can look more into that but it’s hard to tell with the German to English translation. Might be worth me sending an email to them to confirm. I think they might be a travel agency? Shrug!

Not seeing much in November for codes/rates? Anyone seeing anything? Got a decent rate with this German website, but a little nervous about it, lol

Rates are a bit extreme compared to what I'm used to paying.

I figured with the downturn in airline and car rental business these companies would be slashing their rates to get cars out of the garage.

Right now we have a "Luxury" Rental booked with Enterprise for 350 for a week just because the "Economy" class is only 250. Apparently the Luxury Class at Enterprise is a Tesla Model S. I figure for an extra $100 for the week it's not an outrageous splurge. Plus we'd most likely spent 30-40 bucks in gas during our trip so that makes the price difference even less.

$335 each for 2 intermediate rentals 11/7-11/15 :scared: Costco rate, through Alamo

I've done better!

Anyone have any discount codes for Alamo or any other MCO rental car company?

I booked using DHs Corporate rate on Avis midsize via an upgrade @ $283 for 9 days

Alamo has eventually come thru Slightly lower using the APH code for all but 1 of the 5 rentals I’ve booked this year
Anyone have any discount codes for Alamo or any other MCO rental car company?
Look thru other monthly threads preceding the month you need to get an idea of what codes are producing

Can you share more about this? I thought that my personal auto insurance would cover an accident in a rental, is that not the case? I have full coverage. Just curious!
Search here & on flyertalk & older threads should pop up re possible LDW insurance on affinity type rentals.

What I read was enough to warn me off JIK

Last edited:
Ugh I need to change mine and add a day. Prices are like 370. Even worse :rotfl: We are doing a split between SSR and a rental house so I even looked at only picking the rental up from Lake Buena Vista locations 3 or so days into the trip and those were all like 200$ more!
Rental companies don't seem to be trying too hard to appeal to us traveling peeps.

10 day rental: $370 for an Intermediate with Avis :guilty: I plugged in that coupon code with National and could get it for 275$ but I am the biggest worrywart on the planet so I would never be able to relax knowing I used some random companies code and just what if we got in a wreck and insurance wouldn't cover it.

It looks like alot of car rental places are not fully staffed so I wonder if that plays a part in the high prices? Costco was showing over half the categories as unavailable and I just can't imagine there are that many people planning to travel in early November right now.

Anyone seeing any good rates? We have a good Avis deal with my DH corp code, but I would rather have Alamo. Even with our Costco membership rates are almost $200 more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter