Now on the Wonder!

Thanks for the play-by-play -- we sail in July and I cannot wait!! Did I hear that there's Dole Whip onboard now?

Sailing toward Vancouver. Out on deck 10 after our last dinner- sigh. What an absolutely lovely day at sea. Porpoises followed the boat for a bit. They are small and black and white...people mistake them for baby orcas. They are quick, but because of their color you can track them under water when they are shallow. Sunny and warm today in the sun-sometimes hot.

Went to the last Doug Jones talk this AM. Wish I had seen this talk on bears before going to Mendenhall. If you see him, make sure to ask him how to maximize bear viewing. Totally wish there was a way to go on a bear walk with him. Don't miss his talks and take advantage of visiting with him around the ship (shhhh-- he gets coffee upstairs at the Quiet Cove). You will see him in a red sweater vest. He is a treasure.

I don't think I mentioned our serving team - Quentin and Putu. I have never remembered our other servers; I will ask for them next trip. Also Deniz the head server visited our table each night, chatted and helped out as needed. I had never experienced that before.

There is no way you will not enjoy your time on the Wonder or visiting the ports and sights in Alaska. I will start saving to do this again!!

I said the same thing about those loungers being too hot, and the lack of attendants taking care of Rainforest, back in Jan... guess that's just Wonder's norm! I thought I was just odd re: the loungers, glad it wasn't me, lol!

Sailing toward Vancouver. Out on deck 10 after our last dinner- sigh. What an absolutely lovely day at sea. Porpoises followed the boat for a bit. They are small and black and white...people mistake them for baby orcas. They are quick, but because of their color you can track them under water when they are shallow. Sunny and warm today in the sun-sometimes hot.!

Probably Dall's porpoises. They usually return to the area around the solstice, and are very quick. I've never heard anyone describe them as looking like baby killer whales, but that makes sense with their coloring.

Do you know if you missed the BBQ due to timing or if its not offered anymore? Thanks we will be going on the 9 night and would be nice to know what to expect.

What about the team that works for him running the family and adult activities like trivia, karaoke, bingo, etc.? They are normally dressed in red and blue striped shirts.
Sorry, I didn't go to those. I meant to but I was obsessed with watching the scenery and it stayed light late!

What about the team that works for him running the family and adult activities like trivia, karaoke, bingo, etc.? They are normally dressed in red and blue striped shirts.
so on the June 5 sailing I recorded our Adventures Away party

https://www.facebook.com/danielmueller/posts/10155321336403267

These are the names I could make out from the video. So long as their contracts are not over they should still be there on the ship :-)

Anthony
Mitch
Ryan
Kim
Mr Ross

We were on this same cruise to Alaska. I may have to do a trip report later with more detail. However, I must mention one thing that drove us crazy. Our (wife and I) stateroom was 8006, adjoining 8004 where our daughter and family of five stayed. The first day we went out on the verandah, after the Safety Drill, we smelled smoke, lots of smoke. We looked up forward and 5-6 smokers were hanging over the railing on deck 9 doing their thing and flipping ashes overboard (and onto our verandah). We contacted guest services and they said that there was a smoking area up there and they would try to solve the problem. They put up theater straps about three feet away from the railing, but tables, chairs and ash trays...maybe 6-7 take up the rest of the area. The folks next us, 8008, also complained because the wife has respiratory problems. Even with the somewhat limited area, you could still smell smoke. We asked DCL to put smokers in the back of the ship, in the engine room or on a dingy off the aft end, anything but in the front of the ship where the smoke can drift into every opening, verandah, etc. Once in a while even DCL staff would duck the straps and light up. We got a peace offering from DCL, which is fine but did not solve the problem. During glacier day the only thing that stopped the smokers was occasional rain. I understand that some cruise lines have smoke-free ships. I would expect DCL to be a leader in this area, since they are "family-friendly." Until the mouse corrects this problem and moves the smokers, I would not book any of the forward 8000 verandah staterooms. I believe there is another smoking area on deck 4...not sure where, but could also be an issue. The adult-only pool and Cove Cafe area on deck 9 forward, port side, also gets smoke making it almost impossible to use.

We were on this same cruise to Alaska. I may have to do a trip report later with more detail. However, I must mention one thing that drove us crazy. Our (wife and I) stateroom was 8006, adjoining 8004 where our daughter and family of five stayed. The first day we went out on the verandah, after the Safety Drill, we smelled smoke, lots of smoke. We looked up forward and 5-6 smokers were hanging over the railing on deck 9 doing their thing and flipping ashes overboard (and onto our verandah). We contacted guest services and they said that there was a smoking area up there and they would try to solve the problem. They put up theater straps about three feet away from the railing, but tables, chairs and ash trays...maybe 6-7 take up the rest of the area. The folks next us, 8008, also complained because the wife has respiratory problems. Even with the somewhat limited area, you could still smell smoke. We asked DCL to put smokers in the back of the ship, in the engine room or on a dingy off the aft end, anything but in the front of the ship where the smoke can drift into every opening, verandah, etc. Once in a while even DCL staff would duck the straps and light up. We got a peace offering from DCL, which is fine but did not solve the problem. During glacier day the only thing that stopped the smokers was occasional rain. I understand that some cruise lines have smoke-free ships. I would expect DCL to be a leader in this area, since they are "family-friendly." Until the mouse corrects this problem and moves the smokers, I would not book any of the forward 8000 verandah staterooms. I believe there is another smoking area on deck 4...not sure where, but could also be an issue. The adult-only pool and Cove Cafe area on deck 9 forward, port side, also gets smoke making it almost impossible to use.
I'd love it if DCL went smoke-free!

On the wonder, it is any outdoor area on on the Starboard side on Deck 4 apparently

On the wonder, it is any outdoor area on on the Starboard side on Deck 4 apparently
This is the smoking policy from Disney:

Q. Are there designated smoking areas on board?

A. In an effort to provide an enjoyable cruise experience for all our Guests, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) is only permitted in the following designated areas of the ships:

Disney Magic and Disney Wonder
  • Deck 4, outdoors, starboard side from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM
  • Deck 9, forward, portside, any time
Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy
  • Deck 4, port side, aft, on the outside Promenade Deck from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM
  • Deck 12, port side, aft, the outdoor area accessible through the Meridian Lounge at any time
  • Deck 13, port side, forward, near Currents Bar, at any time

A. In an effort to provide an enjoyable cruise experience for all our Guests, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) is only permitted in the following designated areas of the ships:

• Deck 12, port side, aft, the outdoor area accessible through the Meridian Lounge at any time
Fun fact: (Not!). My husband discovered while in the men's locker room at the spa/fitness center that the smoking area is right in front of a window looking into the locker room. There are chairs and a table for smokers and apparently the blinds aren't kept closed by the staff! He happened to look over on the way to shower and noticed the lady outside smoking by the window.

Rant over! One fun thing that happened to us at the Endicott Glacier...no, we didn't see a whale. While out on our verandah a hummingbird flew by. What? Yes, a hummingbird! What in the world does he/she have to work with in that rather bleak environment? Was there a feeder on the Wonder? Did he/she subsist on the drink of the day? Maybe someone with more knowledge about birds than me can enlighten us.

Interesting that DCL will "provide an enjoyable cruise experience for all our guests" while destroying that experience for others on board.

Interesting that DCL will "provide an enjoyable cruise experience for all our guests" while destroying that experience for others on board.
In all fairness if they prohibited smoking all together (which I personally wish they would), it would destroy the experience for many smokers, so as much as I would like to see it completely smoke free, I do understand there may need to be a balance.

I think DCL has gone a long way on the smoking issue. They used to allow it on the individual verandahs which they don't anymore and have limited it to only a couple smoking areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter