Now that I am not staying on-site -- Where do you suggest?

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Where does anyone suggest DH and I stay off-site?
We don't want a rental car, so I need something with decent transportation to WDW.
Or would one of the DTD (non-Disney) resorts be best?
For a week stay, I hate to shell out the $ for S/D. Once DH and I hit the parks, we stay all day. So for us we don't think a delux resort is necessary.
I need to make ressies since we will be arriving the Saturday before Memorial Day (seven nights).

You could stay at one of the moderate resorts? If that isn't an option, then the resorts at DD are great...I've stayed in 3 different ones (Grosvenor, Best Western(twice) and Doubletree, when it was The Pickett Suites). They are in a great location and from some of them, especially the Wydham and Grosvenor you can easily walk to DD.
The shuttle service is very good from these hotels also and your within close proximity to The Crossroads shopping center with lots of restaurants.
I've also stayed at The Marriott Orlando World Center twice and it's a beautiful hotel, however, I've never used there shuttle service, so I couldn't advise on that, but it's ususally possible to get it at a good price and it's a deluxe hotel.
There are just so many options in the Orlando area, in fact on the last several trips that my family took we rented a house in the Kissimmee area with it's own pool, for less than we could have stayed at a resort, but you'd definitely need a car then.

Sorry, when I wrote this, I hadn't seen you previous post about the CRO...sorry to hear about the mix- up! I wouldn't have suggested a moderate, if I had read the post.

Thanks! :)
Of the DTD non-Disney hotels, which would you suggest and any particular location?
And to me, staying off-site, as long as we have decent transportation, is no big deal to me. We just aren't in the room enough to care.
We were staying at POR, which graphically isn't that big of a deal in location for a DTD hotel anyway, IMHO. We plan on eating 3 nights down there anyway as is.
I'm not going to expect a "Disney feeling", but what the hey -- I get that in the parks anyway.;)

A hotel that hubby and I really enjoyed and have not had a chance to get back to is the Radisson on Palm Parkway, near the Crossroads. The rooms are very large. There's a small balcony. There's a full-service restaurant and a decent pool with a water slide and a bar close to the pool. I think they have transportation to the parks available. Checking via Radisson.com, I had rec'd a rate of $75/night for an upcoming March trip, when their rates are usually well over $100. I don't think the bus transportation, if provided, would be any better or worse than the DTD hotels since the latter no longer uses Disney transportation.

Speaking of DTD, I've seen some good deals for the Grovenor. With that hotel location, you have the option of walking down to DD busstops (probably closer than a lot of WDW hotel rooms to their own hotel bus stops!!!;) ).

Hope this has helped.

Sharon

How about the Hotel Royal Plaza using the mousesavers rate on her website. Right near dtd.

Herc.

You won't have a car & need hotel transport to the parks.
You're choosing offsite & you're not in the room much.

Choose the cheapest discount deal you can find at any DD hotel on Hotel Plaza Blvd. Their shuttle bus schedule is far more frequent than any other offsite hotel that I've read about.

We stayed in the Hilon at DD last April. Very nice. Our only gripe was the timeshare people, but for the $75 rate we got, it was worth it. We thoroughly enjoyed. I must say, I have also stayed at Poly and the Beach Club, and I really never felt the difference, except in the pricetag.
angie

There is a banner ad on travelocity.com about a luxery hotel call "Kingstonian Resort". They are offering 7 nights for $275.00 total.

so that limits you quite abit imho. I would suggest something in the DD area that provides a decent shuttle. We would never stay on or offsite without a car or rental. We go to many places in the area besides Disney. Good luck in you selection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter