October pink......do you know someone who has/had breast cancer?

I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 11 years ago, when I was 34. My great-grandmother, great-aunt, grandfather and aunt all battled breast cancer so it came as no surprise when I found out that I carry one of the BRCA2 mutations.

My coworker was diagnosed 3 years ago and beat it.

We have a lot of patients with brain mets that started as breast cancer. It breaks my heart when it's a young mom. Just heart breaking.

Last edited:
My husband's Mother passed away from breast cancer in 1999. She was in her late 60's. I never met her, but I have been told she put up a heck of a fight against it

DH's 37 year old DD has been through the mill with this the last year
And I am an oncology nurse so yeah

I work in neurosurgery. We have a lot of patients with brain mets that started as breast cancer. It breaks my heart when it's a young mom. Just heart breaking.

Our son was less than 18 months old when I was diagnosed. The thought that I may not be around to see him grow up was not only something that tormented me but also something that gave me even more reason to fight.

My mother survived breast cancer when she was in her 80s. She lived to 92 when she finally passed due to congestive heart failure. This was 11 years ago. She wasn't that tough on the surface but she was actually pretty tough when it came down to it. I have a wife, a sister, two DDs, and two DGDs, if there is one thing I could obliterate....

I know several, including myself. I had breast cancer at age 31. Had surgery and thought all was well. Thirty years later, the cancer returned, Based on the tests, it was the same as the original cancer. I'm three years out from my last bout of surgery, chemo and radiation. All is well, but you can never let your guard down.

My oncologist told me that almost all cancer will return eventually.

I know several, including myself. I had breast cancer at age 31. Had surgery and thought all was well. Thirty years later, the cancer returned, Based on the tests, it was the same as the original cancer. I'm three years out from my last bout of surgery, chemo and radiation. All is well, but you can never let your guard down.

My oncologist told me that almost all cancer will return eventually.

I am so sorry to hear that you have had to deal with this again and I hope that you never have to hear those terrible words again, “you have cancer.”

I do think that your oncologist is not only incorrect but also irresponsible for telling you that almost all cancer returns eventually.

Many types and stages of cancer have such low recurrence rates as to be near to zero as makes no difference. Some cancer, sadly, has a high recurrence rate, especially when the original cancer was stage 3 or higher and if there was significant lymph node involvement. Hormone sensitive breast cancer has a higher chance of recurrence, like yours it can show up again 20+ years after the primary was discovered.

My oldest sister, diagnosed August 2005 at age 48 w/ stage IV inflammatory breast cancer. She passed in January 2007.

My other sister, diagnosed September 2013 at age 52 w/ stage IA IDC. Lumpectomy, radiation and taking a 5-year course of tamoxifen. Doing OK except for side effects of the tamox.

Myself, diagnosed June 2014 at age 49 w/ low grade adenosquamous carcinoma, a rare-ish kind of BC tumor. It can come from intraductal papilomas, and I also had that in my other breast, plus the family history above and I was acting as caregiver for my mother in her multiple myeloma treatment (plus various and sundry other reasons), so I opted for a bilateral mastectomy w/ reconstruction. Because of that, I did not need radiation or chemo, which is good because my kind of tumor does not respond well to them anyway. It's not actual triple negative cancer but acts like it. Ohter than soem occasional mild lymphedema in one arm and some mild nerve issues, I'm doing OK.

I also have an aunt on my father's side that had BC, but my father's side of the family does not associate with us (that's a whole 'nother story!!!), so I don't know her details. She did speak some with my oldest sister, so that's how I found out about that.

I am a 14 year BC survivor. Had surgery, three types of chemo, six weeks of radiation. Triple negative, grade three, with two positive nodes. (Adding that because when I was going through treatment I wanted to hear that node positive BC was survivable. Hearing that Dan Murphy's wife had multiple positive nodes at that time was very reassuring to me. Thanks, Dan!) I agree that having young children when this happens is really frightening! I know way too many people to count who have had BC. Many have survived, but some haven't, which devastates me. Cases are not always predictable. Some we thought might not make it did, and others we thought would certainly make it, did not. Thankfully, though, many more are surviving now than ever before thanks to early detection. Two or three years back I got the all-clear ("most likely") from my original cancer, but my oncologist then added I'm now at the same risk as everyone else now of getting a new BC. I agree there can be a lot of not only misinformation but mixed messages out there, even from medical teams. I've had it happen myself. At any rate, I am so grateful I got to see my children through HS and on to college. If I live to see my grandchildren someday I will consider myself amazingly fortunate. After BC I don't take anything for granted anymore.

My wife's family has a strong breast cancer gene. Its not BRCA 1 or 2, its undiagnosed.

Her mom died of breast cancer at 47. She battled cancer off and on for 16 years. Coincidentally, she died in the month of October.

Her cousin died of breast cancer at 24.

An aunt had breast cancer twice and managed to beat it both times.

She has several great aunts that died of breast and ovarian cancer.

When my wife was 33, she had a preventative double mastectomy in order to reduce her chances.

I really hate cancer.

My sister and I both had breast cancer. I'm on year 4 of being cancer free. I won't get breast cancer again since I chose double mastectomy.

My sister did the same and is 8 years breast cancer free but has had another cancer twice since then.

To all the posters that post on this thread, I just want to remind you that my "likes" to you mean I read your post and feel so sad for all who have lost loved ones and know ones who suffer.

Dan, your post definitely brought me to tears as I remember you going thru Marie's cancer scare and know how much the DISers we have lost touched your life. You are always so good at keeping their memories alive. :hug:
Same for me on "likes", I am so sorry for your losses.

I work in neurosurgery. We have a lot of patients with brain mets that started as breast cancer. It breaks my heart when it's a young mom. Just heart breaking.

Well that is something to think about today. Ugh.

I was diagnosed Dec. 2015, surgery with lumpectomy and 1 sentinel nose removed Jan 2016, and then I had 33 rads.

I have complications and it stinks. I have Lymphedema Stage 1 in my left arm. I also have lymphedema in my whole body. That comes and goes at will, mainly the pressure is always there in my trunk area.

It is like the main drain nodes in my trunk are not working right. I have been to plenty of doctors and PTs. Some believe me and some doctors actually say I don't have what I have. It is nuts, literally.

One of these days I will track down a lymphologist. There are only 8 "official lymphologists" in the USA or something like that. It is a new field of study. Yea me.

We will see.

My DMIL passed away at age 59 after fighting breast cancer for 13 years. :( I miss her every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter