October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

Yes, it is Wednesday! (Sorry I didn't get a chance to post in the morning.)

So what is everyone celebrating today?

Woohoo - my parent workshop is done for this month. I had 100% attendance. I also had the assistant superintendent & my building principal there observing/visiting. All went well and it was great seeing the parents actively engaging with their kids.
Also woohoo - my daughter finished her first high school season of field hockey yesterday. It was also her first full season of playing goalie. But the biggest woohoo was the weather cooperating with her season. Today is the first day of no field hockey and it’s pouring!
I will also woohoo that I have completed a workout every workday so far for this school year as well as most weekend days too.

Today's Thursday Challenge - Write a thank-you-note to someone in your life. It can be anything from a snail-mail card, to a brief e-mail, to a sticky-note on the bathroom mirror. Get inspired, and express your gratitude!

Last edited:

I e-mailed my cousin, thanking her for a birthday card she sent and just generally chatting.

I'm also thankful today for no storm damage. We got a whopper last night that knocked out power in some places nearby, but we were lucky.

I love today’s challenge. I wrote a thank you note to another teacher in my school. She’s considered an instructional coach and it’s a new position for her. She was previously a first grade teacher in another building. She has brought a new positive energy to the building this year :)

Home is on my mind today! I was able to change my flight today to an earlier one, and am now landing at the time my original flight will be taking off... happy, happy!

We wrapped up earlier yesterday, so drove to Manhattan Beach for dinner and walked out on the pier. It felt so unusual to have ocean and beach right in the city... in Seattle there are two natural beaches, one of which is in my neighborhood, but Seattle is on Puget Sound, not the ocean. And out on the ocean it is either still wild or small towns, like where my sister lives.

This weekend I think I'm going to go to a fiber festival, about an hour's drive away from the city. Looking forward to seeing some sheep! Other than that it'll be sticking pretty close to home and making my apologies to the kitties.

I had a busy last few days. Thursday was GP review and then I had booked myself in for a spa afternoon before I went back to work. Half-hour in a hot tub, followed by hour massage and then a facial. Massage was a little deeper then I think I really wanted - but it definitely highlighted how tense I am. I am still feeling some soreness in some muscles now after the massage. Friday I was back at work - had the office to myself which was kind of nice and just eased into things catching up on bits and pieces. It is Saturday afternoon for me already - I haven't been able to walk today as we have had storms on and off - hopefully tomorrow is a brighter day.

My belated WOOHOO is that DS18 passed his drivers licence test yesterday!!!!! Will still need to build his confidence and skills but so happy he has it :)

DS15 is off on school camp next week - so tomorrow will be grabbing the last of the supplies for that - is a 'survival' style camp where they have to carry their own food etc. he is looking forward to it - DD is not going - she isn't up to it - she can't even walk down the beach at the moment without getting an aura.

A couple of my good long time friends and I have been saying for a few years that we need to start having a 'girls' trip' but it never happens. But after my thinking about making some ME changes - we talked and we have decided to do a 'mini cruise' together like the one I did with the kids at the end of last year. Affordable, not to far away and just a long weekend for our first annual 'girls trip' we just have to narrow down the date we are all available. I am excited :) We all used to work together and met about 25 years ago! Ahhh laying by the pool, cocktail in hand and girl talk.

The thing I need to work on most is my eating. I have fallen back into the bad habit of snacking too much on unhealthy choices. So from the motivation poster, I'm going to use "challenge yourself with a daily goal". I started my initial weight loss journey years ago by simply tracking my food using the MyFitnessPal app. I'm going to go back to using that for this week to see if it helps me get back on track with my eating. I will have the app set my calorie goal and stay within 200 calories of that goal each day. That will hopefully stop my after school and evening snacking when I see how many calories that bowl of ice cream!

have fallen back into the bad habit of snacking too much on unhealthy choices.

I hear ya - chocolate and me are good friends at the moment.

This week I am motivated by the feeling that walking is starting to become more of something I can do a little more habitually as part of my day. So I am motivated to keep that moving along. I did a 15 minute walk this morning, yoga, then to work and when I visited the restroom did a lap of the school before heading back to the office, then this afternoon DS18 and I did a beach walk for about 40 minutes - so all of that with some incidental walking I am just over 10k steps today.

I'll pick "motion creates emotion"... keep moving! Even if it means getting out and walking around in the rain, which we've been having a lot of the past few days.

So happy to be home. I had great plans for the weekend, but Saturday I woke up with this weird lopsided dizzy feeling, like I had a thick head or something. I took some Aleve and went back to bed until 12 noon, and by then it had cleared. After that all I really did was go get some lunch at the Pub, and do a bit of shopping. Sunday wasn't much more energetic, I went to lunch again and picked up a few more things I've been needing, then sat and watched the football game.

I'm quite surprised that I didn't gain any weight last week, but my morning blood sugar is back up to around 120, so that isn't good. I know it's all those cocktails.. I was going to limit myself to one for the week, but that didn't happen. Plus much higher carb intake over all, and a lot of gluten. Next trip won't have to be for the entire week, which I am grateful for.

It’s Topic Tuesday!
Since I’m focusing on improving my eating this week, I thought I’d make the topic all about food. What are your go-to snacks? Do you have any healthy recipes you’d like to share? What websites or recipe books do you use for healthy eating?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!