October W.I.S.H. Challenge - Being Our Best Selves

Oneanne

DIS Veteran

Welcome to the October WISH challenge

Everyone is welcome - we are here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy. If this sounds like you, we would love for you to join. I hope to see some familiar 'faces' and meet some new ones.

To ease the load the last few months rather than a monthly host we have been hosting weekly. We have adopted this weekly format: Motivation Monday, Topic Tuesday, WOOHOO Wednesday, Thankful Thursday and Free For All Friday.

Weekly Hosts:
Week 1: Oneanne
Week 2: 4Mickeys
Week 3: PollyannaMom
Week 4: MickeyMom76
Week 5: SJREC

See you all bright and early tomorrow for TOPIC TUESDAY.

Hello, I'm Lizanne, the host for the first week of October, yes, the first week of October! I've been over-weight most of my life, but the quest for healthy living got really serious last month, when I started working with a new doctor and got a very unfavorable health report. September was a successful month in terms of turning things around, and I intend to continue the trend in October.

GOALS for this month:
Lose 6 pounds
Continue following doctor's instructions
Walk at least 150,000 steps.

Hi! I'm in again as well. 🍂🍁 :goodvibes 🍁🍂

(For anyone new - I'm Nicole, 48, living in Massachusetts, USA, with my DH two spoiled cats. I have one DS, who has just started college in Maine, and I divide my week between substitute teaching and looking after my honorary "niece" and "nephew" - 4 year old twins.)

I love October because it brings my favorite fall weather and my birthday! I'll be continuing with my 500 minute exercise goal (keeping track in the other thread here on the WISH board) and, prompted by DS, my family has also started a new goal related to healthy living - working toward a healthier planet. 🌎 We'll be eating less meat, using less plastic, and trying to be more conscious of our impact in general - baby steps, but hopefully in the right direction.

I'll be hosting week 3 this month, and look forward to chatting with everyone!

TUESDAY TOPIC: Sweeping (posting now, since I have to head directly to the courthouse in the morning)

In my year of clearing course, we just went over the power of making your bed every morning, now we are covering the power of sweeping with intention, and how it helps to clear away the cob webs in our heads as well any stuff on the floor.

Is there anything cluttering your floor that is blocking you from achieving your healthful goals? If you swept it up (under the rug doesn't count ;) ), how would that feel? What would the open space of a clear clean floor look like? How would it help you get where you want to be?

Hi. I'm Cristin. 42 year old (for 3 more days) wife, mother of 15-year-old boy/girl twins, dog owner, and kindergarten teacher living in southeastern PA.

Goals for this month are to maintain a healthy lifestyle through daily exercise and healthy eating with a focus on weekly meal prepping on Sundays. In addition to healthier eating, my family is also working on spending less money eating out. Trying to cut out my husbands daily coffee stops (which often include more than just coffee) is the hardest. But it's also a challenge to be planned ahead enough for the busy sports schedules...hence the focus on weekly meal prepping. This is extending into planning for weekend meals on the go.

Hi! I'm in again as well. 🍂🍁 :goodvibes 🍁🍂

(For anyone new - I'm Nicole, 48, living in Massachusetts, USA, with my DH two spoiled cats. I have one DS, who has just started college in Maine, and I divide my week between substitute teaching and looking after my honorary "niece" and "nephew" - 4 year old twins.)

I love October because it brings my favorite fall weather and my birthday! I'll be continuing with my 500 minute exercise goal (keeping track in the other thread here on the WISH board) and, prompted by DS, my family has also started a new goal related to healthy living - working toward a healthier planet. 🌎 We'll be eating less meat, using less plastic, and trying to be more conscious of our impact in general - baby steps, but hopefully in the right direction.

I'll be hosting week 3 this month, and look forward to chatting with everyone!
We are also working on using less paper and plastic. Paper napkins are a tough one for me to give up-and I use paper towels with gay abandon when prepping meals. I bought some silicone straws and carry one in my purse.

Hello all,

I will also be joining in again this month. In September I lost 2.2kg or in your language about 4.8pounds. This is good and bad as it really was just re-losing weight lost earlier in the year before I derailed myself. So the goal for October is to continue losing and hopefully lose more - By the end of October I really want to solidly be in the 80's kg range somewhere. To do this I will need to:

Stick to a meal plan
Drink more water
Walk everyday - minimum 30 minutes
Strength exercises 2-3 times per week
Yoga - aiming for each morning but at least every second day.

Hope jury duty went ok @Oneanne

TUESDAY TOPIC: Sweeping (posting now, since I have to head directly to the courthouse in the morning)

View attachment 440317

In my year of clearing course, we just went over the power of making your bed every morning, now we are covering the power of sweeping with intention, and how it helps to clear away the cob webs in our heads as well any stuff on the floor.

Is there anything cluttering your floor that is blocking you from achieving your healthful goals? If you swept it up (under the rug doesn't count ;) ), how would that feel? What would the open space of a clear clean floor look like? How would it help you get where you want to be?
I tend to be the very organized person in our family. My husband is more of the clean person. For example, I prefer shoes to be put away, but I don't care as much if they walk through the house with them on as long as they are putting them away in their bedroom. Whereas my husband prefers for them to be taken off before walking through the house, but he doesn't care as much if they lay on the floor by the door. But I tend to struggle when something doesn't have an exact place for it to go. For example, we have a bunch of tools in our house. There are several spots where tools can be found...the garage, the basement, the shed, and sometimes even in the notorious kitchen "junk drawer". So it can be frustrating when you go to one of these places for a screw driver and it just so happens that somehow all of the screw drivers ended up in the shed, which is always the last place I look. Anyway, my point is that I like everything to be organized. But sometimes life doesn't work that way. I organize my week by looking at the calendar to plan the weekly meals based on what activities we have that week. I usually plan the week out on Saturday and then do the grocery shopping and food prep on Sunday. But then mid-week we'll get notified that a game time has changed or there is now an extra practice or friends invite us to dinner. Now the dinner that was planned doesn't work out. For whatever reason, this really throws me off and I have trouble making good eating choices when change happens. If I could learn to just roll with change better, I think that would really help me to still make healthy choices. This is actually something that I have been working on for a while and I'm starting to get better. But then there are bad days where I completely fall apart with change. So still a work in progress.

I am still working on clearing the basement-my husband has years worth of files from his consulting business and there is no reason to be keeping it. It seems overwhelming but I am determined to clear it one shelf at at time.

Hi All!!
I am an old-time member and wandered back to the Disboards this year.
I would love to join this month's challenge.
Since Jan 1 I have lost 20.8 lbs slow and steady.
I have been vegan for the last 3 years and now am Plant-based whole food,
Last month my cardiologist suggested I tried fasting and started intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago and I was able to lose 5lbs in Sept.

This month's goal... lose another 5lbs.
Start walking everyday,,, start low and increase my steps every few days.. right now my goal is to walk 6000 steps in addition to my normal everyday living walking.lol...
I have a form of dysautonomia ( hyperandrogenic PoTs) which can make me vertically challenged at times, but my cardiologist told me to walk walk walk so thats what I am trying to do.
I have my first Disney trip in 9 years ( just hubby and I )coming soon ( just a short one, but hoping that I will be in walking shape and a little lighter).
I also have my middle daughter's wedding in 9 months and would love to be at my goal weight by then.. whatever the heck that is... will determine as I go... but for now, almost 21 pounds gone and at least another 35 would be great....

View attachment 440317

My husband is semi retired now.... at age 54 he closed his paiting business. so he does all the cleaning and loves to sweep and straighten. I despise to clean, but love cooking. He finds sweeping and doing dishes relaxing? So for him cleaning is great therapy...Me not so much..lol

I forgot to answer this yesterday - clutter ugh - I easily get a cluttered house/bedroom and it drives me nuts. I also get a cluttered mind which leads to feeling overwhelmed which I have been feeling lately. If we sweep it under the rug - we know its still there and can only ignore or trip over it for so long. I would love to sweep away whatever it is that prevents me from follow through - I see it in many areas e.g. taking longer than I would like to complete a report for work, moving clutter from one area of my house to the other, sticking to a meal and exercise plan .....

Hi All!!

:welcome: congratulations on your hard work and health improvements!

I am woohooing this Wednesday ... that I had brunch with a friend yesterday and that I had some big nap time on the couch in the afternoon. I don't know why but I am feeling very tired the last few days - maybe I am just plain worn out at the moment.

Last edited:
It’s going to be hot today, but it’s just beautiful this morning. I love sitting on the deck listening to the birds.

Need to do some food shopping-things got pretty depleted while I was sick. Too many restaurant meals this weekend, so glad to get back into our routine.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

We are also working on using less paper and plastic. Paper napkins are a tough one for me to give up-and I use paper towels with gay abandon when prepping meals. I bought some silicone straws and carry one in my purse.
I'm on the same path... I've trained myself to not use straws and have purchased several of the fabric/wax wraps, so I'm not longer using plastic wrap. Seattle eliminated plastic bags several years back and paper bags cost .05$ which I usually have to pay for, but then make good re-use of the bag.

Hi All!!
I have been vegan for the last 3 years and now am Plant-based whole food,
Last month my cardiologist suggested I tried fasting and started intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago and I was able to lose 5lbs in Sept.

This month's goal... lose another 5lbs.
Start walking everyday,,, start low and increase my steps every few days.. right now my goal is to walk 6000 steps in addition to my normal everyday living walking.lol...
I have a form of dysautonomia ( hyperandrogenic PoTs) which can make me vertically challenged at times, but my cardiologist told me to walk walk walk so thats what I am trying to do.
I have my first Disney trip in 9 years ( just hubby and I )coming soon ( just a short one, but hoping that I will be in walking shape and a little lighter).
I also have my middle daughter's wedding in 9 months and would love to be at my goal weight by then.. whatever the heck that is... will determine as I go... but for now, almost 21 pounds gone and at least another 35 would be great....
Welcome - glad to have you join in and congrats on losing the 20.8 pounds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!